What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Trek to return to the small screen.

jargan83

Coach
Their content library is getting pretty good. I've really enjoyed Jack Ryan and I love The Expanse.

The way Netflix is cancelling originals left, right and centre I may jump ship.

My brother pays for Netflix and I pay for Stan at the moment. I did grab Amazon Prime to watch Jack Ryan and The Man in the High Castle and really enjoyed both. I'd not heard of The Expanse but I had a read of the synopsis and I think I'm going to have to check that out.

Timbo

Staff member
My brother pays for Netflix and I pay for Stan at the moment. I did grab Amazon Prime to watch Jack Ryan and The Man in the High Castle and really enjoyed both. I'd not heard of The Expanse but I had a read of the synopsis and I think I'm going to have to check that out.

The Expanse is close to my favourite show at the moment, the books its based on are awesome too.

bileduct

Coach
So Picard is going to be on Amazon while Discovery and the rest of Trek remains on Netflix...

Streaming televison is devolving into an absolute shitshow. No wonder piracy is increasing again after years of decline.

Timbo

Staff member
So Picard is going to be on Amazon while Discovery and the rest of Trek remains on Netflix...

Streaming televison is devolving into an absolute shitshow. No wonder piracy is increasing again after years of decline.

Wait until Disney+ enters the race.

To be honest, Netflix is starting to look like the loser here. After they cancelled Santa Clarita Diet (which was awesome), an article went up listing all of the original shows they had cancelled in the last 18 months with no conclusions and there were over a dozen. According to data tracking, they were all reasonably well watched but Netflix cancelled them for financial reasons - meanwhile they spend millions letting Adam Sandler make movies and holding on to the rights of Friends.

If I have to axe one, it'll probably be Netflix.

bileduct

Coach
Wait until Disney+ enters the race.

To be honest, Netflix is starting to look like the loser here. After they cancelled Santa Clarita Diet (which was awesome), an article went up listing all of the original shows they had cancelled in the last 18 months with no conclusions and there were over a dozen. According to data tracking, they were all reasonably well watched but Netflix cancelled them for financial reasons - meanwhile they spend millions letting Adam Sandler make movies and holding on to the rights of Friends.

If I have to axe one, it'll probably be Netflix.
As far as I'm aware Netflix and other services like CBS All Access don't release viewer demographics, so where is the tracking data coming from? Of course these shows are going to be cancelled for financial reasons. If the cost of producing the shows outweighs the financial return from the subscribers they pull in then they're not going to last long.

What does Friends have to with anything? It's one of the most popular shows of all time. I wouldn't be surprised if it's also one of the most watched television shows on Netflix. Remember that streaming services don't just compete with FTA television which predominately airs first-run content, they're also replacing the rental/owned DVD market.

Disney+ is just going to accelerate the collapse of the streaming market which is shaping up to be the next dot com bubble. This is going to result in the domination of the market by larger companies like Disney, Apple and Amazon and they'll likely all run at losses until that happens and a sustainable financial model is found. At that point expect prices to be jacked up and the content commissioned by those services to be dramatically reduced.

What will the sustainable financial model be based on? Advertising mid-show.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
As far as I'm aware Netflix and other services like CBS All Access don't release viewer demographics, so where is the tracking data coming from? Of course these shows are going to be cancelled for financial reasons. If the cost of producing the shows outweighs the financial return from the subscribers they pull in then they're not going to last long.

What does Friends have to with anything? It's one of the most popular shows of all time. I wouldn't be surprised if it's also one of the most watched television shows on Netflix. Remember that streaming services don't just compete with FTA television which predominately airs first-run content, they're also replacing the rental/owned DVD market.

Disney+ is just going to accelerate the collapse of the streaming market which is shaping up to be the next dot com bubble. This is going to result in the domination of the market by larger companies like Disney, Apple and Amazon and they'll likely all run at losses until that happens and a sustainable financial model is found. At that point expect prices to be jacked up and the content commissioned by those services to be dramatically reduced.

Netflix doesn't but there are independent agencies that poll viewers to try to get a handle on viewing numbers.

Friends has to do with it that Netflix is continually getting rid of original content - which according to third party analysis, is well watched - because they would rather spend their money licencing back catalogs of old programs. How is that sustainable? If Netflix isn't providing new content, but just keeps locking up popular shows from the 90's, what is the incentive to subscribe? So I can watch the one where Joey does something stupid, Phoebe says something zany and Chandler quips pithily for the fiftieth time? And it's not too dissimilar to how Blockbuster and co. went under because they're so focused on what was popular then, as opposed to what people will be interested in in the future.

Timbo

Staff member
Also, as someone who likes new and original content - especially stuff that's a bit different - why would I ever watch another Netflix original? They keep cancelling them with no notice and no conclusion. You get invested in a story and it just ends.

Meanwhile, Netflix have given Adam Sandler $250 million to make movies (figure - https://www.forbes.com/pictures/599b0ba431358e60d7768f66/adam-sandler/#6fde381d3322) none of which have scored more than 20% on Rotten Tomatoes.

How long do I keep signed up to a service that provides that?

bileduct

Coach
Netflix doesn't but there are independent agencies that poll viewers to try to get a handle on viewing numbers.

Friends has to do with it that Netflix is continually getting rid of original content - which according to third party analysis, is well watched - because they would rather spend their money licencing back catalogs of old programs. How is that sustainable? If Netflix isn't providing new content, but just keeps locking up popular shows from the 90's, what is the incentive to subscribe? So I can watch the one where Joey does something stupid, Phoebe says something zany and Chandler quips pithily for the fiftieth time? And it's not too dissimilar to how Blockbuster and co. went under because they're so focused on what was popular then, as opposed to what people will be interested in in the future.
Perhaps Netflix has a better understand of what their consumers are actually going to them for than we do.

There's a reason The Beatles catalog is still worth a pile of cash, and that's because people are still buying their albums today. I would think that there is sizable portion of Netflix's customer base that predominately see them as a back catalog for old shows they used to like as opposed to new shows they're willing to take a punt on. As I said before, Netflix is replacing the rental market.

Who did Netflix try to partner with when they first started up? Blockbuster, who knocked them back. Netflix then took their customer base out from under them because they offered a better service - watch as many videos as you want for a month subscription and no late fees. Bye bye Blockbuster.

bileduct

Coach
Also, as someone who likes new and original content - especially stuff that's a bit different - why would I ever watch another Netflix original? They keep cancelling them with no notice and no conclusion. You get invested in a story and it just ends.

Meanwhile, Netflix have given Adam Sandler $250 million to make movies (figure - https://www.forbes.com/pictures/599b0ba431358e60d7768f66/adam-sandler/#6fde381d3322) none of which have scored more than 20% on Rotten Tomatoes.

How long do I keep signed up to a service that provides that?
Rotten Tomatoes isn't much of an indication of anything. They all have shitty scores for the Transformers movies but the 13 year old kids they are aimed at still go and see them in large enough numbers for the studio to produce more of them.

Hulu were also bidding for streaming rights to Friends.

Perhaps there's no real money in Netflix exclusively producing content for their own streaming service?

bileduct

Coach
So lemme guess...

Picard is involved in some kind of rescue effort when Romulus blows up and then he finds out Section 31 was behind it...

Timbo

Staff member
I seriously doubt they'll play the Section 31 card again in this series. I've not encountered a single fan who's keen for more.

jargan83

Coach
Section 31 will be back at some stage regardless of whether the fans want it or not.

I personally think they need to be left out for a good while.

jargan83

Coach
There's an entire series in development that is based on Section 31!

Forgot about that.

Wonder how that will be received given the Section 31 overkill. I agree with Timbo that that's probably why it won't be in the Picard series.

bileduct

Coach
I know - and the fan fatigue is showing. That’s why I don’t think it’ll be in Picard.
Don't underestimate the stupidity of these writers. You should have a look at IMDB for some of these hacks. They are behind some of the biggest Hollywood turds in recent history.

Latest posts