What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roosters fans be like 'The refs have it in for us....

It makes our success over the last decade or so that much sweeter considering we get no favours from the refs year after year after year. Where we ranked on penalties for
2019 - 15th
2018 - 14th
2017 - 16th
2016 - 12th
2015 - 13th
2014 - 16th
2013 - 15th
2012 - 7th
2011 - 6th
2010 - 16th
2009 - 16th
2008 - 16th
Thankfully our success doesn’t rely on souffs 2014 level leg ups.

All this shows is that it's been a deliberate tactic of the Roosters to give away penalties when defending their own line since 2008.

You give away a penalty any time your defensive line is stretched or rushed inside the ten. It gives you the chance to reset again against a set start, plus it frustrates the opposition because they never really get a roll on. Eventually, if they've had enough tackles with the ball in your 10 and they haven't scored, they start to feel the pressure of the whole situation and then they start to take stupid risks because they feel that they really should have scored with all the ball that they've had.

Roosters woke up to this tactic much earlier than all the other teams but quite a few of them have started to copy it now.

If you broke down penalty stats and excluded penalties given away when defending your own line, I'm sure the Roosters would compare much more favorably with the rest of the competition.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I never said that.

How would you explain the statistic? Perhaps it is just an outlier? An oddity of statistics.
It's a conspiracy. The NRL sat down and said 'How can we oppress rooster's fans?' And the plan they came up with was to give the club less penalties.

Or its a statistical anomaly that certain roosters fans have jumped on so they can feel like victims.

Valheru

Coach
It's a conspiracy. The NRL sat down and said 'How can we oppress rooster's fans?' And the plan they came up with was to give the club less penalties.

Or its a statistical anomaly that certain roosters fans have jumped on so they can feel like victims.

I would lean towards the latter.

It is quite the outlier though.

Canard

Immortal
It’s gotten to the farcical situation that Roosters players are screaming at the ref to penalise them.

This should be an immediate 10mins in the bin, I don’t give a f**k what salty tears Fittler, Gould and Johns cry about their beloved Roosters.

MOGGA! Make Our Game Great Again!

Cockosh

Juniors
Souths aren’t even involved in the conversation and you have to bring them up because you’re so obsessed with us. #foreverinourshadow.
Don’t get defensive mate most neutral nrl fans regard the 2014 refs treatment of Souffs as the benchmark in positive bias towards a team. #premiers #enjoyingtheshade

Cockosh

Juniors
It’s gotten to the farcical situation that Roosters players are screaming at the ref to penalise them.

This should be an immediate 10mins in the bin, I don’t give a f**k what salty tears Fittler, Gould and Johns cry about their beloved Roosters.

MOGGA! Make Our Game Great Again!
Again you offer one example and ignore the fact that every other team does it in just about every game. Try again

Cockosh

Juniors
All this shows is that it's been a deliberate tactic of the Roosters to give away penalties when defending their own line since 2008.

You give away a penalty any time your defensive line is stretched or rushed inside the ten. It gives you the chance to reset again against a set start, plus it frustrates the opposition because they never really get a roll on. Eventually, if they've had enough tackles with the ball in your 10 and they haven't scored, they start to feel the pressure of the whole situation and then they start to take stupid risks because they feel that they really should have scored with all the ball that they've had.

Roosters woke up to this tactic much earlier than all the other teams but quite a few of them have started to copy it now.

If you broke down penalty stats and excluded penalties given away when defending your own line, I'm sure the Roosters would compare much more favorably with the rest of the competition.
I stopped reading as soon as I realised that you don’t understand that those stats are about penalties that we don’t receive. Do you get it? It’s the penalties that we don’t control. We play the same teams as everyone else yet miraculously over more than a decade all those teams concede less penalties when playing us. Do you get it know or should I slow it down more for you?

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Don’t get defensive mate most neutral nrl fans regard the 2014 refs treatment of Souffs as the benchmark in positive bias towards a team. #premiers #enjoyingtheshade

Just as most neutral supporters think you guys cheat the cap. Besides penalties didn't matter when Walker showed up your team in round 1. #26-16

A deliberate tactic, with different playing groups under 3 different coaches? Yeah, doing the same thing time after time and expecting a different result always works eh?! :rolleyes:

C'mon mate, that assertion defies logic, and I know you are not foolish.

yobbo84

First Grade
To try and be serious for a second, I think the Roosters style of play largely contributes to their lack of penalties. The majority of penalties are awarded around the ruck. In attack they play very up-tempo, often surrendering in tackles in order to get a quick play-the-ball. They don't often fight in the ruck, flailing around like a fish out of water looking for a penalty. Their stars have been their halves and backs and they work to get them early ball in good field positions. It works for them.

On the other hand - to use my team as an example - Souths game over the last decade has been very forward-oriented. Our forward pack has been star-studded, with largely average backlines (save for GI). Unlike the Roosters, if you shut down our forward pack you shut down Souths, so opposition teams often push the line in order to achieve this, resulting in more penalties being given away.

Either that, or it's just an anomaly, or referee bias, or the Roosters are just a bunch of unlikeable gits. You choose.

Cockosh

Juniors
Just as most neutral supporters think you guys cheat the cap. Besides penalties didn't matter when Walker showed up your team in round 1. #26-16
True but that is based on assumptions and innuendo your 2014 penalty record is a statistical fact. No they didn’t matter in round 1 and round 1 won’t matter in October.

Valheru

Coach

I can't say that this statement is wrong over the 10 year period in question but this exercise was done in 2013 when the whinge about roosters apparently deliberately giving away penalties was first raised and it was disproven with the vast majority of penalties against us being in the opposition half.

Latest posts