What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Payne Haas off contract.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Haas is ready for origin this year. He should definitely be picked. I am predicting that he will go on to be the best prop you or I have ever seen.

possm

Coach
I read that Pangai has said that he is staying at Brisbane, but we should do everything we can to sign him if he hasn't put pen to paper yet.

I agree that I expect Brisbane to hold onto Haas too, but you have to be in it to win it.

Pangai had massive wraps on him at Canberra and Brisbane managed to sign him. We should do the same with Haas, or at the very least try.

If Leulia has agreed to move to Canberra, then we should put his money and more towards trying to sign Haas.
Under the right coach Leilua could be one of the best forwards in the competition. I see him as a prop playing a similar style to big Artie, We should do all we can to keep him.

For the 2020 season we should see Allgood, Latimore and Graham move on and bring through Kerr, Timm and Ford. If Leilua moves to prop, we have a vacancy for one backrow forward. However, our backline really needs the cleanout and rejuvenation. Roberts and Oates would do the job.

possm

Coach
Haas is off contract at the end of 2019 and there is talk that clubs are prepared to offer him 3 or 4 year contracts of between 500 to 600K a season.

If I was our recruitment officer I would be offering Haas that or more. It could turn out to be a bargain, like how Newcastle signed Ponga for 600K a season, before he had even played one first grade game.

He is also a New South Welshman.

I do expect Brisbane to sign him up long term in the next few weeks.
I think you would make a great recruitment officer. Why don't you apply? Just point out all of Millward's faults and you can't go wrong.

BennyV

Referee
I will give credit to Frank Facer on this one. A lot of what he writes is complete jibberish but at this early stage, he may have made the right call on Haas.

The Damo

Juniors
I will give credit to Frank Facer on this one. A lot of what he writes is complete jibberish but at this early stage, he may have made the right call on Haas.
Weird. I came in to write pretty much this. He got this one right.

gitano

Juniors
He is wrong 99% of time ol' Frank.

1% of the time he hits the mark.
This is not one of those times however.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I think you would make a great recruitment officer. Why don't you apply? Just point out all of Millward's faults and you can't go wrong.
Thanks possm, but I am not part of the St George old boys club, so I don't think they would even consider me. I have always wanted to be a talent scout for Saints.

Frank Facer

First Grade
You're a good judge of talent? The kid is a big boy, no doubt, but he was running through kids his age and much smaller. That's why he looked so good in the lower grades. NRL is a different ball game.

700k a season is ludicrous. Even if you're right and he becomes a great player you'd a dud businessman; that kind of money for a bloke who's just debuted f**ks salary caps.

You misunderstand the point I was making.
lol
Imagine if we had managed to sign Haas for 700K a season starting next year. lol

OK, you are going to get back to me in a couple of years and let me know how wrong I was. lol

Drew-Sta

Staff member
lol
Imagine if we had managed to sign Haas for 700K a season starting next year. lol

OK, you are going to get back to me in a couple of years and let me know how wrong I was. lol

You keep peddling this point.

Kid has talent. Signing him to the same money Vaughn is on is silly for our cap.

He may be great. But so was Kyle Stanley.

Frank Facer

First Grade
You keep peddling this point.

Kid has talent. Signing him to the same money Vaughn is on is silly for our cap.

He may be great. But so was Kyle Stanley.
Signing Haas for 700K from 20 onward would have been the bargain of the century. Graham was on 600K a year contract at Canterbury. This would have been the 3rd year of that contract, so I am assuming that we are paying Graham 600K a season this year. I think Graham should be tapped on the shoulder and told this is his last year. It would have virtually been a straight swap with an added 100K a season to our salary cap and us having the best prop in the game. I sound like a pretty good businessman, don't you think?

ps, Brisbane have actually secured Haas for around 500K a season and for 4 or 5 years. Now that is the bargain of the century.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Signing Haas for 700K from 20 onward would have been the bargain of the century. Graham was on 600K a year contract at Canterbury. This would have been the 3rd year of that contract, so I am assuming that we are paying Graham 600K a season this year. I think Graham should be tapped on the shoulder and told this is his last year. It would have virtually been a straight swap with an added 100K a season to our salary cap and us having the best prop in the game. I sound like a pretty good businessman, don't you think?

ps, Brisbane have actually secured Haas for around 500K a season and for 4 or 5 years. Now that is the bargain of the century.

You’re a little obsessed, mate.

We’ll see how his career pans out.

possm

Coach
You’re a little obsessed, mate.

We’ll see how his career pans out.
We do need to make changes at SGI and James is no longer worth 600k on our cap. We have a couple of young props coming through but they are not of SOO standard so rotation through the bench is probably what we would do with them - Timm and Kerr. So that leaves Lawrie off the bench and Vaughan and a bookend in the run on 13.

Internally we have the option of using K Sims or Leilua in that slot. T Sims, Frizell and Robson in the backrow. So our forward stocks look good even with Graham out of the squad. What we really need is a good game plan, good combinations and some creative play within our forwards. That probably means a new coaching staff.

I say throw Graham's 600k and De Belin's 550k together with whatever salary cap we have left at some quality backs; Roberts, DWZ and Oates.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
We do need to make changes at SGI and James is no longer worth 600k on our cap. We have a couple of young props coming through but they are not of SOO standard so rotation through the bench is probably what we would do with them - Timm and Kerr. So that leaves Lawrie off the bench and Vaughan and a bookend in the run on 13.

Internally we have the option of using K Sims or Leilua in that slot. T Sims, Frizell and Robson in the backrow. So our forward stocks look good even with Graham out of the squad. What we really need is a good game plan, good combinations and some creative play within our forwards. That probably means a new coaching staff.

I say throw Graham's 600k and De Belin's 550k together with whatever salary cap we have left at some quality backs; Roberts, DWZ and Oates.

Graham for 40min a game (first 20, back 20) would be great. How Mary uses him is the issue.

You’re a bit obsessed with Roberts. He’s a dud deal. DWZ is a great player but wants to play FB and can’t pass, so is a younger Dugan. Oates is a quick second rower and effectively what we have in Pereira.

Robson is gone, and is more a hooker than lock, although moulding him like Radley (if it can be done, that is, which means with our staff - no chance) could work.

Lawrie is an outright prop, so Vaughn, Graham to start, Sims and Lawrie to sub in. Bring Vaughn in for Lawrie at 50m.

Lock should be Frizz; Host should be right side lock - he can at least run through a hole, which Frizz seems unwilling, unable or unsure how to do.

Re backs; Field as FB, Pearson, Pereira, Marsters and Lomax are what we should be running with, with an eye for a quicker winger for next year.

The common denominator is Mary as coach so this is all a useless discussion as he will f**k it up in a heartbeat.

Latest posts