What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WC 1st Match: England v South Africa - London 30/5/19 (Eng won by 104 runs)

TheParraboy

Staff member
It finally arrives - There is an opening ceremony tonight before it kicks off on Thursday

Starts at 730pm AEST

Anyone give SA a chance?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Definitely give South Africa a show, any team with a quality bowler like Rabada are a chance. Plus they don't usually choke until the knockout stage.

England to win though.

jargan83

Coach
It feels weird talking England up before a major tournament.

The office Pom said to me yesterday "England don't win trophies in any sport and I expect it to continue"

Timbo

Staff member
shame AB isnt around for one last hurrah..

He's becoming a bit of a dick in his retirement. I mean, fair play to the guy for wanting to earn as much as possible before he hangs it up forever, but the way he's teasing virtually every competition in the world with his potential involvement on condition x y z is a bit much.

TheParraboy

Staff member
He's becoming a bit of a dick in his retirement. I mean, fair play to the guy for wanting to earn as much as possible before he hangs it up forever, but the way he's teasing virtually every competition in the world with his potential involvement on condition x y z is a bit much.

Was reading an article regarding his retirement, said he would have loved to play in the world cup, but pressures of the captaincy, family and stress levels etc etc. Then went on to say there are deeper reasons which he will tell everyone when he turns 50 :rolleyes:

Also thinks the IPL is better than the world cup

https://www.sacricketmag.com/ab-to-reveal-real-reason-for-retirement/

Eelectrica

Referee
Near perfect setting for an early England face plant.
Opening day of the world cup they'll be wanting to stamp there authority early. Could be a disaster going too hard against a pretty good SA bowling attack.
If I'm SA and winning the toss I'd be sending England in first and letting the SA bowlers see if they can turn all that pressure into wickets.

Timbo

Staff member

TheParraboy

Staff member
Near perfect setting for an early England face plant.
Opening day of the world cup they'll be wanting to stamp there authority early. Could be a disaster going too hard against a pretty good SA bowling attack.
If I'm SA and winning the toss I'd be sending England in first and letting the SA bowlers see if they can turn all that pressure into wickets.

yup

SA bowlers the key if they want to win, Tahir was a gun in the IPL could become the gun spin bowler of the tournament

Love SA to towel em up

lockyno1

Post Whore
How predictable that you'd be on board with laughably poor decision of excluding teams from the World Cup.

I don’t want to watch us flog Namibia or some other side. I want us playing the best sides. I could maybe cop 12 teams but 10 is a nice number. Makes every match important and takes luck out of the game as much as humanly possible