What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players refusing to sing the National anthem in protest

DC_fan

Coach
The Daily Telegraph is today reporting that Josh Addo Carr and Cody Walker will refuse to sing our national anthem at the state of origin. Protesting that it does not represent indigenous history.

I have often seen sports people, indigenous and non-indigenous not sing the anthem. I have never had a problem with sports people or anyone for that matter not singing the anthem I just assumed they didn’t know the words. But I do suspect that this move by these two players will cause some uproar. We all saw what happened in the USA when something similar occurred there with the NFL. It tarnished the image of the game, and some suggest the game is still struggling to recover.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/480bfa1117c3abc43e22923d1bf22e19

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
Queenslanders will sniff a weakness here. Both rookies (did JAC play last year?) not 100% focused on the game. Could be problems.

carcharias

Immortal
What part of the anthem do they find problematic?
I’d say it’s not the actual lyrics but who they represented at the time of writing it.

It’s absolutely disgraceful this country’s history towards indigenous people.
My generation was taught zero about them at school.
f**king horrendous attitude by the education dept and govt.

Anyway thats just my opinion.

Meth

Staff member
Are they just not going to mouth the words, or kneel, or not take the field....half of the players don't actually sing the words.

Valheru

Coach
Are they just not going to mouth the words, or kneel, or not take the field....half of the players don't actually sing the words.

Just not sing.

As you say half the players from many countries in any number of sports don't sing for various reasons from not knowing the words to just not being in to singing.

TBH I don't know why they would make it public. They could just stand there and not sing without the added attention.