What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players refusing to sing the National anthem in protest

Timbo

Staff member
I honestly don't seen the big deal. If they didn't sing it without announcing their intentions of not singing it publicly first, no one would have even noticed...

That's the point. If you don't say you're protesting something then it's not a protest. It's just another footballer who doesn't know the words.

Everyone who's saying 'I don't think it's offensive and it doesn't hurt anyone'. Yes it's not offensive to you. It's not hurtful to you.

Imagine if the Japanese had invaded during World War Two and 70 years later we were still singing the Japanese anthem. That's what this represents to a large portion of the indigenous community.

Diesel

Referee
I don’t really care what they do but if they won’t sign the national anthem because of their reasons, will they play for the national team of the country they live and wear the national jersey?

zombiebloodlust

Juniors
"Keep politics out of sport" is the dumbest take. Try selling that particularly nugget of wisdom to Muhammad Ali.

It's particularly dumb when the sport is rugby league, one of the most socially progressive, inclusive sports there is. The game that wouldn't have even been created if it were not for sociopolitical agitation.

Really, I don’t think people should be offended by it. I can understand why you might be, but consider how meaningless it is. It’s token behaviour, & not even original token behaviour - lifted from that Kaapernick fella Stateside, LOL.

Are they going to go into Politics next? Or abandon Western living & hunt for subsistence in the bush, using traditional tools? Hell no - they quietly thank their stars for the life they live, a life made possible by British development.

age.s

First Grade
I'd love to see a Venn diagram of 'People who think Folau was exercising free speech' with 'People who think it's a disgrace they won't sing the anthem'.

FWIW I fell somewhat in the camp of the former and don't give a proverbial flying about the latter.

Xcalibre

Juniors
I’m not very patriotic (anti-jingoism) but am always slightly disappointed when the anthem is sung, the camera goes along the line of players and only half or less are singing. Whatever the words are/mean it’s more a symbol of unity imo. In the team and nationality. Frankly, I don’t even pay much attention to the words. We can keep the anthem and still honour and respect indigenous history. Or change it, doesn’t bother me.

That being said, if players want to protest by not singing, it’s their right, but as has been mentioned, will they play for Australia if picked? They’re already playing for New South Wales. Named for a British name/nation.

Springs09

Juniors
That's the point. If you don't say you're protesting something then it's not a protest. It's just another footballer who doesn't know the words.

Everyone who's saying 'I don't think it's offensive and it doesn't hurt anyone'. Yes it's not offensive to you. It's not hurtful to you.

Imagine if the Japanese had invaded during World War Two and 70 years later we were still singing the Japanese anthem. That's what this represents to a large portion of the indigenous community.

Yeah, hence why we aren't singing the British anthem anymore.

We are singing the Australian anthem, that was already changed from its original lyrics for being too British. If we were still singing the 1879 version, I'd understand, but we are singing a generic version that doesn't really say anything about anyone.

We are singing the Australian anthem, that was already changed from its original lyrics for being too British. If we were still singing the 1879 version, I'd understand, but we are singing a generic version that doesn't really say anything about anyone.

You are overlooking a crucial issue - Kapernick made sponsorship dollars off his stance :wink:

Timbo

Staff member

Yes - again, YOU don’t find it offensive.
They do. You don’t get to determine what is offensive to another group of people.

Timbo

Staff member
Really, I don’t think people should be offended by it. I can understand why you might be, but consider how meaningless it is. It’s token behaviour, & not even original token behaviour - lifted from that Kaapernick fella Stateside, LOL.

Are they going to go into Politics next? Or abandon Western living & hunt for subsistence in the bush, using traditional tools? Hell no - they quietly thank their stars for the life they live, a life made possible by British development.

You’re right, the positives of genocide are so rarely reflected upon. I wonder why that could be?

Some fragile people in this thread are really losing their minds.

Cody Walker: "the anthem doesn't represent me or my family"

Fragile bogans: "Don't play for Austraya then, if you don't love it leave it fk off we're full"

There will definitely be some of that, but I think there will be more demand than supply in that regard.

Springs09

Juniors
It was written at a time were Aboriginal people were not considered citizens of Australia.
Aboriginal people don’t consider the land ‘young’ and treatment of Aboriginal people at the time wouldn’t really fit into the ‘free’ category.

The original song was, the current anthem was not. The song is a national anthem - the country is young, not the land. The country includes many people of different backgrounds now.
We aren't singing about people in 1879, we are singing about now.

Ooooooh whataboutism! My favourite.

You know that Indigenous issues (and indeed all ills of society) aren't mutually exclusive, and can be dealt with concurrently, or in their own way? It's not up to you to tell Indigenous Australians what their issues are, or which they should place priority on.

The anthem itself is fairly clear in its anglo-centricity, to the exclusion of others. The word 'Fair' itself in the title and chorus line is itself the subject of debate as to whether it actually just means 'white' as per the originally written song. "For we are young and free" is particularly galling to Indigenous people as well.

And that's without reviewing that awful fifth verse someone quoted a page or two back.

As for has it been brought up before and RE: All-Stars, yes, that's what sparked this current wave of pot-stirring rubbish, Walker and others being asked about it: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...-wont-sing-national-anthem-at-state-of-origin

Yeah except I wasn't telling indigenous Australians what to care about, I quoted an article where indigenous leaders were telling other indigenous Australians what to care about, or more correctly, what issues are more pressing than others. Go tell them that.

The anthem has no 'anglo-centricity' - what? If you are trying to put across an interpretation that 'fair' means 'white' - bullshit, of course that's not what anyone means when they sing it. 'Free' - we are all free, Australia doesn't condone slavery. 'young' is the only word of the entire anthem that might be challenged, and even if people take offense at the nation being called young - I don't see why they should. Yes aboriginals have been around for tens of thousands of years, but we are singing about Australia - which hasn't been around that long. Australia is the nation not the land, there was never one Aboriginal nation. Anything that sings about Australia would therefore be offensive, as would playing for something called Australia or for a state bearing the name of the first British colony New South Wales.

The anthem is not the 1879 song. It was changed.
'For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share'
Is particularly 'un-anglo-centric'

You’re right, the positives of genocide are so rarely reflected upon. I wonder why that could be?

When these guys do (or even say) something meaningful, wake me.

As it is, refusing to sing the anthem, & announcing it, while continuing to play for NSW & Australia? They are after attention & money.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The original song was, the current anthem was not. The song is a national anthem - the country is young, not the land. The country includes many people of different backgrounds now.
We aren't singing about people in 1879, we are singing about now.

Yeah except I wasn't telling indigenous Australians what to care about, I quoted an article where indigenous leaders were telling other indigenous Australians what to care about, or more correctly, what issues are more pressing than others. Go tell them that.

The anthem has no 'anglo-centricity' - what? If you are trying to put across an interpretation that 'fair' means 'white' - bullshit, of course that's not what anyone means when they sing it. 'Free' - we are all free, Australia doesn't condone slavery. 'young' is the only word of the entire anthem that might be challenged, and even if people take offense at the nation being called young - I don't see why they should. Yes aboriginals have been around for tens of thousands of years, but we are singing about Australia - which hasn't been around that long. Australia is the nation not the land, there was never one Aboriginal nation. Anything that sings about Australia would therefore be offensive, as would playing for something called Australia or for a state bearing the name of the first British colony New South Wales.

The anthem is not the 1879 song. It was changed.
'For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share'
Is particularly 'un-anglo-centric'
Yeah, won't be changing your mind on this one. Good luck fighting the good fight.