What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players refusing to sing the National anthem in protest

zombiebloodlust

Juniors
The original song was, the current anthem was not. The song is a national anthem - the country is young, not the land. The country includes many people of different backgrounds now.
At the very least this stance by Walker has encouraged some introspection about the anthem and what it means. I think you might need to go a step further, and build some cultural awareness particularly around the Indigenous culture's deep connection to place. The land IS the country.

Springs09

Juniors
Yes - again, YOU don’t find it offensive.
They do. You don’t get to determine what is offensive to another group of people.

Okay. And?

I'm giving reasons why it shouldn't be offensive, I'm allowed to do that. People can find anything they want offensive, go for it. I was also giving reasons why that Japanese analogy was bullshit, which it is.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It’s token behaviour, & not even original token behaviour - lifted from that Kaapernick fella Stateside, LOL.
If you genuinely believe that indigenous people haven't boycotted the anthem until recently you haven't been paying attention.

Bazal

Post Whore
South Africa and Zimbabwe are the ones that come straight to mind.

I really hope this is facetiousness... South Africa have a literal colour quota in their sporting teams due to apartheid, and Zimbabwe actively chased white (and black, at another time-see Henry Olonga) cricket players out of the country ffs

At the very least this stance by Walker has encouraged some introspection about the anthem and what it means. I think you might need to go a step further, and build some cultural awareness particularly around the Indigenous culture's deep connection to place. The land IS the country.

Great comment.

I honestly don't see the issue. He's not saying nobody else can sing, and as far as I've read he's not even said that his Aboriginal brothers should not sing it.

He feels like it doesn't represent him and he doesn't wish to sing it. We don't get to determine whether he gets to feel that way or not, and history errs in his favour.

lol after the astonishing ignorance you've displayed in this thread I'm not at all surprised that you have to ask this question

“We are offended by Australia’s lack of incorporation for our ancestry...but we’ll wear a jersey labelled ‘New South Wales’ because it pays & pays well.”

LMAO, give me a break. That’s the end of their credibility right there.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Where were their earlier protests?
Off the top of my head I recall an indigenous singer in 2015 who refused to perform the anthem at the AFL Grand Final.

It's not a new concept and pretending Kaerpernick led the charge is hilarious.

Timbo

Staff member
“We are offended by Australia’s lack of incorporation for our ancestry...but we’ll wear a jersey labelled ‘New South Wales’ because it pays & pays well.”

History is full of people who have used a platform to protest against it. How on earth do you think people are heard?

Or would you prefer if they only protested silently, or in places you don't look at or think about?

Off the top of my head I recall an indigenous singer in 2015 who refused to perform the anthem at the AFL Grand Final.

It's not a new concept and pretending Kaerpernick led the charge is hilarious.

Was that someone in the ongoing limelight, or an obscure singer?

Not a gotcha question, a genuine one.

History is full of people who have used a platform to protest against it. How on earth do you think people are heard?

Or would you prefer if they only protested silently, or in places you don't look at or think about?

They’re not protesting though, they’re after attention & coin.

typicalfan

Coach

Or yours. Please for your sake, just stop.

typicalfan

Coach
I take it you’re of the opinion there’s no incongruence between claiming you’re offended by the anthem & wearing a jersey for a team called NSW?

Please, do elaborate.
NSW is a state full of people of various cultural backgrounds including his own. As a NSW rep, he represents all these people. He is also playing rugby league, a code which has shown itself to be progressive over its time.

So yes, there is none.

You are saying the old rhetoric that NSW the name and state was created by a british colony, as was Australia so somehow he is being hypocritical. But that is just because people can't see what is obvious.

Latest posts