What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players refusing to sing the National anthem in protest

grouch

First Grade
Yes it could.

But that is only one person's opinion. I can't find any source that definitively proves what they mean.
Someone like Book of Steeden is completely transparent and has a perspective that is quite easy to understand, as stupid and wrong as it is.

But please help me understand what point you're trying to make here. You're seeking some kind of definitive proof that the lyrics are racist? If the words of the anthem are so offensive to a section of the population that they're willing to speak up about and even boycott it, what is it exactly do you fear will happen if it's changed?

Someone like Book of Steeden is completely transparent and has a perspective that is quite easy to understand, as stupid and wrong as it is.

But please help me understand what point you're trying to make here. You're seeking some kind of definitive proof that the lyrics are racist? If the words of the anthem are so offensive to a section of the population that they're willing to speak up about and even boycott it, what is it exactly do you fear will happen if it's changed?

I would love to know your interpretation of my world view, & I’ll even offer an exchange - no rebuttal on my part. Have at it.

TheFrog

Coach
I'd love to see a Venn diagram of 'People who think Folau was exercising free speech' with 'People who think it's a disgrace they won't sing the anthem'.
Folou: Punishment excessive.
Anthem: They are free not to sing the anthem if they want, just like everyone else.

Valheru

Coach

I don't care if it is changed.

I was responding to someone who said a lyric had a specific meaning. I questioned that alleged meaning given the poster cited a source who simply interpreted it a certain way and I can find no other source that corroborates that meaning. If you can find a source that does please post it here.

I’m not an AC-DC fan but if ‘A long way to the top’ was the anthem, I reckon everyone would sing it. It’s the most Australian song I can think of plus it’s a foot tapper.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I don't care if it is changed.

I was responding to someone who said a lyric had a specific meaning. I questioned that alleged meaning given the poster cited a source who simply interpreted it a certain way and I can find no other source that corroborates that meaning. If you can find a source that does please post it here.
The basis of the anthem - the original 1879 song - was overtly racist, which has been covered throughout this thread.

Springs09

Juniors
The basis of the anthem - the original 1879 song - was overtly racist, which has been covered throughout this thread.

It was overtly British nationalistic, none of it disparages other races. It was more sexist than racist.

And that's not the anthem, the anthem is the rewritten version.