What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

“Great” Movies You Just Don’t Get...

This thread has a good deal of potential. There are loads of lauded films a lot of people just don’t get, or as may be the case, rightly see through as pretentious crap.

I recently watched what I’m convinced is one such movie - Mulholland Drive. This is a divisive movie, one which inspires contempt & praise in many circles. Has anyone seen this, & what were your thoughts?

I despised this film. I went in very willing to be convinced - I was even eyeing off the Criterion Collection edition, had I really enjoyed it. I have to say it was two & a half hours of reindeer game horseshit. Others may disagree o& I’d love to see their takes.

Many other films fit this thread, too. I adore both Blade Runner movies, for instance, but there are definitely people out there who angrily do not get or flat think the movies are pretentious drivel.

Who’s got a deep, or allegedly deep, movie they’d like to discuss?

Last edited:

gUt

Coach
Everyone goes on about that Gran Torino from Clint Eastwood being this wonderful, dramatic film with these deep messages. I f**king hated it. Boring, cliched, sterotypes everywhere, poorly lit, shit dialog, his "acting" had me counting on 1 hand the amount of times his face changed. What a piece of shit.

Everyone goes on about that Gran Torino from Clint Eastwood being this wonderful, dramatic film with these deep messages. I f**king hated it. Boring, cliched, sterotypes everywhere, poorly lit, shit dialog, his "acting" had me counting on 1 hand the amount of times his face changed. What a piece of shit.

While I liked the movie, I certainly didn’t get any, “deep” messages from it, & I’m not up on any prevailing opinion it has any.

What have people said about it?

Lord of the Rings.

I can't sit through five minutes of any of the movies. So ordinary they have turned me off ever even attempting the novels.

Generalzod

Immortal
The Matrix films to many philosophical and religious teaching made it hard to understand what the hell was going on, like what was fake and what was real...

Last edited:
The Matrix films to many philosophical and religious teaching made it hard to understand what the hell was going on, like what was fake and was real...

Haven’t seen them since the cinema but gotta say, the old man’s monologue in the second film was it for me (& many others).

What garbage.

Springs09

Juniors
Nolan's films after the Dark Knight are pointlessly convoluted in an attempt to seem 'complex'. Dark Knight Rises is dumb, Inception is a simple idea filled with wordy exposition to make it seem intelligent, Interstellar is ridiculous with bad science and Dunkirk had silly editing and we ended up seeing some scenes 3 or 4 times.

Shape of Water had a cliche story with added weird bestiality crap - how that ended up so lauded I have no idea.

Dave's mate

Juniors
Nolan's films after the Dark Knight are pointlessly convoluted in an attempt to seem 'complex'. Dark Knight Rises is dumb, Inception is a simple idea filled with wordy exposition to make it seem intelligent, Interstellar is ridiculous with bad science and Dunkirk had silly editing and we ended up seeing some scenes 3 or 4 times.

Shape of Water had a cliche story with added weird bestiality crap - how that ended up so lauded I have no idea.
Happy to see you have as much of an idea about film as tv. You are f**king hopeless

One of my mates I usually see “eye to eye” with on movies loves the movie “Sin City”.

I think it is a steaming pile of shit.

I’ve tried to watch it several times but it is just too rubbish. The acting, the story, it’s all shit.

I quite liked “300” which has a similar “comic book” style, so it’s not that.

I don’t know if there is something I’m not getting in “Sin City” but that is one movie that I reckon is a big sloppy turd with sprinkles.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Scott Pilgrim vs the world.
I was born in the early 80’s so I thought I’m the target audience for this movie, but I just find it dumb and not funny.

Matua

Bench
This thread has a good deal of potential. There are loads of lauded films a lot of people just don’t get, or as may be the case, rightly see through as pretentious crap.

I recently watched what I’m convinced is one such movie - Mulholland Drive. This is a divisive movie, one which inspires contempt & praise in many circles. Has anyone seen this, & what were your thoughts?

I despised this film. I went in very willing to be convinced - I was even eyeing off the Criterion Collection edition, had I really enjoyed it. I have to say it was two & a half hours of reindeer game horseshit. Others may disagree o& I’d love to see their takes.

Many other films fit this thread, too. I adore both Blade Runner movies, for instance, but there are definitely people out there who angrily do not get or flat think the movies are pretentious drivel.

Who’s got a deep, or allegedly deep, movie they’d like to discuss?
I agree on Mullholland Drive. I like a bunch of Lynch's other stuff, this was just pretentious bollocks.

I much prefer the Blade Runner sequel to the original. I find the tears in the rain speech to be laughable. I made the mistake of rewatching the original before seeing the sequel which was a bad idea as I was then less keen on the sequel.

I like Nolan's films but can't stand The Dark Knight Rises and the Dark Knight would be average without Ledger's performance (Batman Begins is the least heralded and best of his Batman films). I also dislike Nolan's bullshit no digital and no CGI 'effects' which is just limiting (Dunkirk highlights this), especially how he's the IMAX king. He should back himself to integrate the effects so that they're not noticeable.

Shape of Water was bollocks. Del Toro is a bit overrated (although Pans Labyrinth is great) and it's laughable that film won best Oscar.

Ok here's some others from me off the top of my head. Both with big name directors and actors.

Gangs of New York - this is almost the unthinkable, a bad Scorcese film which drew a terrible hammy performance from Day Lewis (now I'm going to cop some shit from fanbois).

Which then leads into my next choice - Day Lewis carried his ham into There Will Be Blood. "I drink your milkshake" is laughable as well yet it gets hailed as a great line in a film.

Oh, and I really do not like La La Land, but Whiplash is brilliant.

I agree on Mullholland Drive. I like a bunch of Lynch's other stuff, this was just pretentious bollocks.

I much prefer the Blade Runner sequel to the original. I find the tears in the rain speech to be laughable. I made the mistake of rewatching the original before seeing the sequel which was a bad idea as I was then less keen on the sequel.

I like Nolan's films but can't stand The Dark Knight Rises and the Dark Knight would be average without Ledger's performance (Batman Begins is the least heralded and best of his Batman films). I also dislike Nolan's bullshit no digital and no CGI 'effects' which is just limiting (Dunkirk highlights this), especially how he's the IMAX king. He should back himself to integrate the effects so that they're not noticeable.

Shape of Water was bollocks. Del Toro is a bit overrated (although Pans Labyrinth is great) and it's laughable that film won best Oscar.

Ok here's some others from me off the top of my head. Both with big name directors and actors.

Gangs of New York - this is almost the unthinkable, a bad Scorcese film which drew a terrible hammy performance from Day Lewis (now I'm going to cop some shit from fanbois).

Which then leads into my next choice - Day Lewis carried his ham into There Will Be Blood. "I drink your milkshake" is laughable as well yet it gets hailed as a great line in a film.

Oh, and I really do not like La La Land, but Whiplash is brilliant.

Didn’t Scorsese also direct Shutter Island? One of the very few movies I have foreseen the twist to.

Even he has the odd poor movie in him.

Matua

Bench
Didn’t Scorsese also direct Shutter Island? One of the very few movies I have foreseen the twist to.

Even he has the odd poor movie in him.
I like Shutter Island but then again I liked the source material. The Catholic Japanese one of recent years wasn't that good either, but it was better the Gangs of New York.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Pretty much all Superhero movies of the past 5 or so years

What the hell is fuss about? Every single one has the exact same plot with different characters.

Anyone 12-25 loses their mind over these movies. There were peoples literally camping out for 3 days to watch The latest Avengers. I suppose that generation like their things to be pretty and wrapped up nicely with the good guys always winning. People talk about them like they’re Apocalypse Now or the Good Father films. They’re f*#king shit popcorn flicks that your kids will tell you were terrible.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
One of my mates I usually see “eye to eye” with on movies loves the movie “Sin City”.

I think it is a steaming pile of shit.

I’ve tried to watch it several times but it is just too rubbish. The acting, the story, it’s all shit.

I quite liked “300” which has a similar “comic book” style, so it’s not that.

I don’t know if there is something I’m not getting in “Sin City” but that is one movie that I reckon is a big sloppy turd with sprinkles.

It's probably the story structure/quirks that are getting you rather than the visuals.

Admittedly I feel a bit the same way. It feels more like a loosely connected anthology series than a coherent movie.

300 had narration but it served the larger story. Sin City was noir so there was so much more inner monologue that I could have done without.

Trying to stuff a film with as many recognisable celebs as a selling point probably didn't help either.

Latest posts