What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players refusing to sing the National anthem in protest

magpie4ever

First Grade
f**k no. Pa drove her to church and waited outside for her every Sunday, where she played the organ until she was on her death bed.

And the kids were raised Catholic, as per the directions of my great grandfather.

Beautiful mate, great Irish matriarch.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Maybe the terms 'Advance Australia Fair' have a different meaning......

white-australia-march-2.jpg

magpie4ever

First Grade
Btw A.N.A. stood for Australian Natives Association where Natives were whites born in Australia.

We all know the history of Australia & the white Australia policy up to the mid 1960s, but let's build a f**king bridge & get over it.

As suggested we f**k off the pommy flag in the corner of the flag, get a spine tingling anthem & if they so desire change the public holiday but the aboriginals must accept that's it - no more bloody victim mentality; it is bloody well over.

But it seems, their supporters go silent when this is suggested.

some11

Referee
Personally I have no affinity with the flag or the anthem, they're both relics of colonialism.

The flag is the UK's with the southern cross chucked on it and the anthem is f**king awful as far as inspiring melodies go.

It's a shame New Zealand botched their referendum on a flag change with shithouse options.

Last edited:

firechild

First Grade
Yes, and you can get picked for our footy team if you're a Murri, unlike Koori in NSW.

Radical concept I know
Right. Lyons, Peachey and Daley never played for NSW. In fact this whole debate relates to Cody Walker being picked for NSW.

magpie4ever

First Grade

This has always been my favourite WP song. If they changed some of the lyrics to mention the full story of this country and all the people who call it home, but keeping that chorus...would be epic.

I'm sure Christine Anu sang this at the Sydney Olympics, wearing an aboriginal flag (might have been the aussie flag with the aboriginal one replacing the pommy shit) on her t-shirt than sang the anthem in English & an aboriginal dialect - geez, she was a good sort at the time.

Last edited:

TheVelourFog

First Grade
at the end of the day........ how many Australian athletes 'sing' the anthem prior to an event or after receiving for example, an Olympic medal? It certainly is a mixed bag.

The camera moves down the line of players representing Australia in union and you see players 'into their anthem' many players are from Pacific Island backgrounds and yet they do it proudly.

The camera moves down the line of players representing Australia in league and we see players with their heads down, looking left, right etc. Some mouth some words, many don't sing at all. So come Wednesday night it will actually be no different from last year, the year before that and the year before that and the......

I have 2 questions though,
1. Why play it at all, it's state against state they are not representing Australia.
2. Do QANTAS sponsor the game? Their CEO will most likely step in and complain if it doesn't suit his agenda, just like with IF but that's another story.

A player regularly not singing the anthem would certainly be noticed by certain sections of the community

I'll field this one.

Nick is a failed amateur movie critic and virgin who brags about his imagined sexual exploits with native American girls in a futile attempt to appear cool.

He likes to think he's smarter than everyone else but is actually thick as two short planks.

He'll deny all this but at home in his lonely existence he'll be seething with rage.

Canberra will win a comp before you hit a nail on the head.

Canard

Immortal
Right. Lyons, Peachey and Daley never played for NSW. In fact this whole debate relates to Cody Walker being picked for NSW.

Yes Daley and Lyons didn't suppress there aboriginal identity at all whilst playing.

David Peachey's one game for NSW proves my point. Ricky Walford ring a bell?

Sphagnum

Coach
Do these guys ever consider that the reason they get overlooked for rep honour is not because they're aboriginal but because they will parlay their selection into some totally unrelated agenda they'll pour down everyone's throat.

He'll most likely get shown up pretty hard at this level so hopefully we only have to endure this crap for one game.

Brisket Head

Juniors

This has always been my favourite WP song. If they changed some of the lyrics to mention the full story of this country and all the people who call it home, but keeping that chorus...would be epic.

Love the song, but it's really George's story about wanting to return to Elcho Island in Arnham Land. Not about Australia being the "Island Home". I'd rather not see it altered.

Blackfella / Whitefella is genuinely about everybody putting aside their differences and working together. That includes all colours, races and religions. from all places Magpie, with all respect to you and your opinions as well. I don't really imagine it becoming out National Anthem, but a lot of people could do with listening to the words and stopping to think for a minute.

I don't know how to put videos in here but another couple of favs from Warumpi band are "Breadline" and "Stompen Ground"

unforgiven

Bench
We all know the history of Australia & the white Australia policy up to the mid 1960s, but let's build a f**king bridge & get over it.

As suggested we f**k off the pommy flag in the corner of the flag, get a spine tingling anthem & if they so desire change the public holiday but the aboriginals must accept that's it - no more bloody victim mentality; it is bloody well over.

But it seems, their supporters go silent when this is suggested.
So I guess we as a nation forget the life expectancy gap, different educations levels and living standards because the indigenous peoples of this country are just playing the victim card. You are racist and need to be called out on your disgusting behaviour!

Latest posts