What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players refusing to sing the National anthem in protest

magpie4ever

First Grade
The incarceration rates of indigenous people is definately part of the conversation, the links between loss of culture, high incarceration rates and lack of engagement in society need to be also incorporated into that discussion. That is not to justify individual acts of vile behaviour but to determine why as a group of people the incarceration rates are so much higher than the general population.

Whilst there are many people who are incarcerated who shouldn't be, or not for the term.

But the vast majority have committed the crime, and the jail time is fair.

unforgiven

Bench
Whilst there are many people who are incarcerated who shouldn't be, or not for the term.

But the vast majority have committed the crime, and the jail time is fair.
Where did I say that the jail time wasn't fair or they hadn't committed the crime? That doesn't explain why indigenous people are over represented in the prison system!

unforgiven

Bench
You do realise bad things can happen to bad people too, right? That not every victim of a wrong-doing is inherently good or innocent?
Again where have i said that?
What do you think happens when people's culture is removed from them? it gets replaced with something else, which was the intention of the policies that led to the stolen generation!

Last edited by a moderator:

unforgiven

Bench
Mate, you understand mathematics - the more that do the crime, the more that are sent to jail.
But why are there more indigenous people committing those crimes? please don't respond with the answer of as a race they are just bad people, because I'm sure even you know what that is called!

No, their intention was for them to adopt the English culture that Australian society was predominately made up of. Didn't really work though.

You’re right, it didn’t work, & it’s shameful it was attempted that way.

They don’t need to adopt the British way of life, but they do need to adopt a widespread culture of basic Human decency - successive cultures aren’t being taught that, & the current system of hand outs & mentioning colonialism aren’t going to help them (or by extension, the country).

some11

Referee
Do these guys ever consider that the reason they get overlooked for rep honour is not because they're aboriginal but because they will parlay their selection into some totally unrelated agenda they'll pour down everyone's throat.

He'll most likely get shown up pretty hard at this level so hopefully we only have to endure this crap for one game.
Oh it's such a burden isn't it. Such a tough pill to swallow for us actual Australians.

Those bloody welfare cheats just keep shoving it down our throat every second of the goddamn day.

Their culture was doing well for 40 odd thousand years.

I don’t want you to take this the wrong way - so please don’t - but what has happened, has happened. It can’t be undone.

I’m more concerned about their future. I would like to see their employment climb, their criminality diminish, & their overall race to become more of a positive force in society. Absolutely everybody wins in that situation - the issue between 99.9% of arguing parties is how to go about that.

What puts me at odds with most people is that I don’t believe hand outs & the promotion of a victim mentality will ever achieve that goal.

unforgiven

Bench
You’re right, it didn’t work, & it’s shameful it was attempted that way.

They don’t need to adopt the British way of life, but they do need to adopt a widespread culture of basic Human decency - successive cultures aren’t being taught that, & the current system of hand outs & mentioning colonialism aren’t going to help them (or by extension, the country).
I don't disagree with all of your points here, I also don't believe the current system is helping, but you cannot hide from the fact that loss of identity over the past 200+ years and the policies of this country have led to that loss of cultural identity have had a negative impact on the indigenous people of this country.

Quicksilver

Bench
I don’t want you to take this the wrong way - so please don’t - but what has happened, has happened. It can’t be undone.

I’m more concerned about their future. I would like to see their employment climb, their criminality diminish, & their overall race to become more of a positive force in society. Absolutely everybody wins in that situation - the issue between 99.9% of arguing parties is how to go about that.

What puts me at odds with most people is that I don’t believe hand outs & the promotion of a victim mentality will ever achieve that goal.

They are victims.

Even though that might be difficult for the privileged to understand.

You know who gets the most "handouts" in life? Kids in GPS schools. And look how well they do. Guess that's different though.