What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gazzamatta

Coach
Gutho needs to work on his defense. Ive been drilled for pointing it out before but I reckon its borderline poor. I even reckon French defense just as well.
Front on hes pretty good on a break away but hes easily beaten when some skill is put on him. One terrible effort last night when the offload produced the Bunnys 2nd try. Id love to see Bev get a run in the NRL side again. I think he got a bad wrap because of his wing play. Hes a fullback and I reckon hed go ok. Once BA marks your card its generally game over unfortunately.

IFR33K

Coach
If Mahoney gets isolated on the try line, means one of the 3 middle forwards or markers (if we even have any being close to the line) aren’t doing their job, no hooker is going to stop a middle forward one on one 1 m or so from the try line.

Additionally leading line speed on the try line is difficult, if he leads it by himself he leaves a hole in the line.

My thoughts as well. Like all hookers he’ll be targeted all match. Simple numbers game, he’s bound to miss a few eventually!

Bazal

Post Whore
If Mahoney gets isolated on the try line, means one of the 3 middle forwards or markers (if we even have any being close to the line) aren’t doing their job, no hooker is going to stop a middle forward one on one 1 m or so from the try line.

Additionally leading line speed on the try line is difficult, if he leads it by himself he leaves a hole in the line.

So why does it only seem to happen later in the game? He had help last night from Paulo but as the main tackler still got trampled.

He is clearly getting fatigued. Four times in 12 matches is a problem. It doesn't mean he isn't a good player.

EelsFan05

Bench

Yep. His inside and outside defenders need to identify that there is going to be a prop running straight at him inside the ten meters. It's resulted in to many tries already this year.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
So why does it only seem to happen later in the game? He had help last night from Paulo but as the main tackler still got trampled.

He is clearly getting fatigued. Four times in 12 matches is a problem. It doesn't mean he isn't a good player.

No he didn’t get trampled at all, Manu didn’t make sufficient, contact to hold him up or line speed, if anything Mahoney was helping Manu:

A922ABF3-6284-4DBF-BB00-DD6F60825146.jpeg
5CBB01CB-4621-4C02-9AE3-04C45FF59084.jpeg
7C0565FA-6AAB-48F4-B389-63B8BE7125EE.jpeg

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Front on hes pretty good on a break away but hes easily beaten when some skill is put on him. One terrible effort last night when the offload produced the Bunnys 2nd try. Id love to see Bev get a run in the NRL side again. I think he got a bad wrap because of his wing play. Hes a fullback and I reckon hed go ok. Once BA marks your card its generally game over unfortunately.
I get the impression he doesn't like Kane Evans, though that merkin keeps finding his way back into the team.

hindy111

Post Whore
I think hindy111 misses all the tackles most fullbacks miss but only calls Gutho out on it because he isn't a Penrith player and as our Eels are his teams greatest rival, he needs to lay the boot in.

Just pointing areas he can improve. Tiola try he should of stoped.

emjaycee

Coach
I reckon we wont be seeing Bevan in the Blue and Gold again... at least not for the next few years.
Personally I think this is a shame because as far as raw talent goes, I would place him as the best to come through at Parra since Jayne. Unfortunately, he is limited to only really being able to play FB in the modern game and that's not available to him in our current squad and he did his dash with his little hissy fit last year.