What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

“Great” Movies You Just Don’t Get...

Mr Spock!

Referee
Pretty much all Superhero movies of the past 5 or so years

What the hell is fuss about? Every single one has the exact same plot with different characters.

Anyone 12-25 loses their mind over these movies. There were peoples literally camping out for 3 days to watch The latest Avengers. I suppose that generation like their things to be pretty and wrapped up nicely with the good guys always winning. People talk about them like they’re Apocalypse Now or the Good Father films. They’re f*#king shit popcorn flicks that your kids will tell you were terrible.
Yeah could've easily cut out an hour and a half on Endgame and it would've still been boring.

Danish

Referee
Almost everything that has won best picture at the oscars for the last decade confuses me:

- Green Book
- The Shape of Water
- Moonlight
- Spotlight
- Birdman
- 12 years a slave
- Argo
- the Artist
- The Kings Speech

Seriously, is that the most underwhelming list of crap or what? I reckon there would be quite easily 200 movies from the same period that I would rate ahead of any of them.

Wizardman

First Grade
Everyone goes on about that Gran Torino from Clint Eastwood being this wonderful, dramatic film with these deep messages. I f**king hated it. Boring, cliched, sterotypes everywhere, poorly lit, shit dialog, his "acting" had me counting on 1 hand the amount of times his face changed. What a piece of shit.
I enjoyed it....not a groundbreaking movie at all though. I just enjoy watching Clint.

Wizardman

First Grade
Lord of the Rings.

I can't sit through five minutes of any of the movies. So ordinary they have turned me off ever even attempting the novels.
I attempted to watch the first movie when I was very drunk. 30 minutes in, I turned it off. I will give it another shot as I still have the dvd, but it is not a genre that Im into. I enjoyed the first series of "Game of Thrones" though.....I'll give it another shot sober.

Wizardman

First Grade
One of my mates I usually see “eye to eye” with on movies loves the movie “Sin City”.

I think it is a steaming pile of shit.

I’ve tried to watch it several times but it is just too rubbish. The acting, the story, it’s all shit.

I quite liked “300” which has a similar “comic book” style, so it’s not that.

I don’t know if there is something I’m not getting in “Sin City” but that is one movie that I reckon is a big sloppy turd with sprinkles.
I found both movies extremely average. I would not watch a third.

Wizardman

First Grade

What the hell is fuss about? Every single one has the exact same plot with different characters.

Anyone 12-25 loses their mind over these movies. There were peoples literally camping out for 3 days to watch The latest Avengers. I suppose that generation like their things to be pretty and wrapped up nicely with the good guys always winning. People talk about them like they’re Apocalypse Now or the Good Father films. They’re f*#king shit popcorn flicks that your kids will tell you were terrible.

I have been going through a big Marvel binge due to the release and hype of Endgame. Other than Superman or Batman movies, superhero movies have not captured my imagination in any particular way and had not seen them. Some very mixed bags there. Im upto Dr Strange at the moment so have been ripping through them. In regards to the Marvel series, I have not seen one that I thought was great, though the majority are decent (two to three star) type of movies. Funny enough, the very first Iron Man was probably the best of them.

To me, the only three truly great superhero movies are the first two Christopher Reeve Superman movies and The Dark Knight. Ledger was a massive part of lifting that movie into "great" territory.

Wizardman

First Grade
Almost everything that has won best picture at the oscars for the last decade confuses me:

- Green Book
- The Shape of Water
- Moonlight
- Spotlight
- Birdman
- 12 years a slave
- Argo
- the Artist
- The Kings Speech

Seriously, is that the most underwhelming list of crap or what? I reckon there would be quite easily 200 movies from the same period that I would rate ahead of any of them.
Incredibly, I have not seen any of them. I aim to but neither have particularly inspired me.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Shutter Island.

Being John Malkovich.

Dark City - took me three views to understand it and it became enjoyable.

Mr Spock!

Referee

- Green Book
- The Shape of Water
- Moonlight
- Spotlight
- Birdman
- 12 years a slave
- Argo
- the Artist
- The Kings Speech

I've only seen one of those and don't care if I never see the others.

Pommy

Coach

I totally agree but I don’t think many people are really lauding them as great movies either.

For me I hated the deer hunter it’s just so slow and drawn out.
I think you can pretty much say any war film that wins oscars is shit, the hurt locker is another prime example. I’m no bomb disposal expert but I do know that guy would have been dead ten times over doing the shit he was doing.

I have to say I do really like Gran Torino though.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I totally agree but I don’t think many people are really lauding them as great movies either.

Anyone over 30 won’t. Maybe I’m having an angry old man moment (in my mid 30s which is worrying) however a lot of people talk about them as some of the greatest movies of all time. If these are the movies that people want their generation defined by in 15-20 years time they’re going to be looked back and laughed at.

If they were simply spoken about as what they are, dolled up mind numbing popcorn flicks, it’d be sweet.

After I saw Aquaman I’ve sworn off them. It was the exact same story line as Thor 1 and only slightly different from Black Panther.

I genuinely feel their success is dumbing down the entire movie industry. Companies churn these out by the truck load as they are guaranteed success. There’s no risk involved, they don’t need to push any boundaries. Again like I said that generation don’t like anything edgy, they want to Hollywood ending with the bad guy getting his just deserts and everyone living happily ever after.

Last edited:

Generalzod

Immortal
Anyone over 30 won’t. Maybe I’m having an angry old man moment (in my mid 30s which is worrying) however a lot of people talk about them as some of the greatest movies of all time. If these are the movies that people want their generation defined by in 15-20 years time they’re going to be looked back and laughed at.

If they were simply spoken about as what they are, dolled up mind numbing popcorn flicks, it’d be sweet.

After I saw Aquaman I’ve sworn off them. It was the exact same story line as Thor 1 and only slightly different from Black Panther.

I genuinely feel their success is dumbing down the entire movie industry. Companies churn these out by the truck load as they are guaranteed success. There’s no risk involved, they don’t need to push any boundaries. Again like I said that generation don’t like anything edgy, they want to Hollywood ending with the bad guy getting his just deserts and everyone living happily ever after.
Stories that have been told since people sat around a camp fire and told stories about heroes nothing has changed...

Wizardman

First Grade

For me I hated the deer hunter it’s just so slow and drawn out.
I think you can pretty much say any war film that wins oscars is shit, the hurt locker is another prime example. I’m no bomb disposal expert but I do know that guy would have been dead ten times over doing the shit he was doing.

I have to say I do really like Gran Torino though.
Absolutely agree with you on "Deer Hunter". One of the most overrated movies in cinema history. Very, very boring for the majority with some tension right at the end.

Very good call Pommy.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Hollywood ending with the bad guy getting his just deserts and everyone living happily ever after.
Which is why I found Infinity War to be the best Marvel movie. The heroes actually fail.

- Green Book
- The Shape of Water
- Moonlight
- Spotlight
- Birdman
- 12 years a slave
- Argo
- the Artist
- The Kings Speech
Out of those, so far I’ve only seen Birdman, Shape of water, and Argo. Argo being the only decent one of the 3. Birdman and Shape of water are pretentious and boring, Argo was good, but not my “best pic of that year” good.