What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 v Dogs

possm

Coach
I think this game will define our season.

To lose to the dogs would tell us where we really are, so if McIdiot says he excited this week after losing, it would surely spell the end of his coaching spell.

Who loses six on the trot and gets away with it?
Mary has already been given a gap year with management saying his performance won't be judged this year. So if this is the case, why did they need to extend so early in the season?

41yearsaint

Juniors
Gordo is lulling all the deadwood into a false sense of security. Only reason I can see in extending the coach.

Blood&Bandage

Juniors
Posting this early, but with the injuries to Graham and Lafai and SOO representation with Friz Vaughan and Hunt, I'm wondering what team we will roll out.

Unfortunately, Lats will come in for Graham, McGregor has already made that inference.
Left centre is going to he an issue (so is right centre but thats another story).
With Nornan coming back does he slot into 5/8 or, given our centre issue, play him at fullback or even centre? I'd really like to keep Lomax at fullback.
So, I'd go with:
1. Lomax
2. Periera
3. Aitken (oh my!)
4 Norman
5. Pearson
6. Field
7. Hunt*
8. Timm
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Friz*
12. T. Sims
13. Lawrie
14. K. Sims
15. Leilua
16. Robson
17. Kerr
Like it.
But I’d tweak it....
Norman to 7 seems to talk and organise
Hunt to 6 plays best of the cuff and better without the pressure
Lomax to 4 looks better at centre.
Field/ Dufty to fullback. Dufty needs to find the ground earlier.
I wouldn’t mind seeing Dufty playing 6 or 9 in Reserves.
I think Dufty from dummy half would be electric.

Old Timer

Coach
I think this game will define our season.

To lose to the dogs would tell us where we really are, so if McIdiot says he excited this week after losing, it would surely spell the end of his coaching spell.

Who loses six on the trot and gets away with it?
C'mon OKB 1just fess up to the reality of 2019.
Our season is already well and truly defined as are the next 2 seasons.
In all honesty we all know exactly where we are at and the game against the Dogs will not alter one single thing.

Down on troops, down on confidence, lower expectations.

Mary has the choice of promoting Timm who is a stand out in CC or playing Lats.

In one sense without a massive injury toll and the JDB case, players like Leilua, Lawrie and Host would never have been given the chance to develop in to first graders.

With Lafai injured Lomax will probably play left centre.

Hell even Field is receiving game time. Despite many claims to the contrary, his defence has generally been reasonably good. Nor have I seen him being rag dolled.

Within the next 5-6 games the kids will either sink or swim.

What is ironic is that Mary’s coaching contract hangs by a thread and depends on those very kids.

possm

Coach

In one sense without a massive injury toll and the JDB case, players like Leilua, Lawrie and Host would never have been given the chance to develop in to first graders.

Hell even Field is receiving game time. Despite many claims to the contrary, his defence has generally been reasonably good. Nor have I seen him being rag dolled.

What is ironic is that Mary’s coaching contract hangs by a thread and depends on those very kids.
I'd like to see Lomax as our long term fullback. He has the frame and the skills to excel in that position. He is good under the high ball, has a great passing game and is good with one on one defence. However, he really needs to work on his positional play and confidence returning the ball out of his red zone.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Will be battle of the Wooden Spoon IMO!
I'm sure McGoose will deflect all blame on Origin, Injuries, JDB ramifications and yet remain excited if we manage to finish the season in 15th spot. Get ready folks & hold on as the ride on the Big Dipper heads down!

possm

Coach
Will be battle of the Wooden Spoon IMO!
I'm sure McGoose will deflect all blame on Origin, Injuries, JDB ramifications and yet remain excited if we manage to finish the season in 15th spot. Get ready folks & hold on as the ride on the Big Dipper heads down!
They are well ahead of you. When Johnston recommended Mary's extension to the Board, he sighted the trauma amongst the players as a key reason to appoint Mary for another two years. He stated that Mary was the best person to mitigate that problem - or words to that effect.

I say you can't have it both ways, appoint Mary to alleviate the problem and then to bleame the problem for the low moral and poor performances.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Watching the Dogs game last night, they are a rabble, lack confidence and vision, and are riddled with errors. However, without Klokstad at the back, they beat the Raiders, imo. Yes, the Raiders have a few players out, through injury or SOO duty, and they played a few younsters, but its the same scenario facing us next week.

If Foran plays and they cut out their errors, geez it will he hard for us to come away with the 2 points.

BLM01

First Grade

Forever...agree with most but not thiis point re Field. "Despite many claims to the contrary, his defence has generally been reasonably good. Nor have I seen him being rag dolled"

I can only comment on the Cronulla game as that it all I have seen since the Manly win..but
I saw Field being protected / shadowed in attack and (defence - OK understand that) because of what seemed to me Mary's usual plan to let so called "senior or experienced players" take control.and the balance of Hunt trying to do too much on both sides of the field in attack was a major problem with our attack..
especially having Hunt ball play on the left side which is not his go..doing little dummies / slow show and hold up the line with ball in hand and then throwing hospitals. (1st half)
When we got to 9-8 and starting the 2nd half the Dragons went back to shutting the game down attack mode.

Field should of been orchestrating the left side play all game as can ball play and take the line on.
He only did it on a couple rare occassions in the 1st half and had defence on their toes.

If SOO players dont back up we will be KO'd by the Dogs...if they do and reasonably healthy we win!...so we need them this time..and the next..and the next.
Dragons need to win 9 / 13 to make the 8...tall order. SOO players..no rest again.
We had our bye...yet again the wrong off week..we need it after a SOO game.

getsmarty

Immortal
Forever...agree with most but not thiis point re Field. "Despite many claims to the contrary, his defence has generally been reasonably good. Nor have I seen him being rag dolled"

I can only comment on the Cronulla game as that it all I have seen since the Manly win..but
I saw Field being protected / shadowed in attack and (defence - OK understand that) because of what seemed to me Mary's usual plan to let so called "senior or experienced players" take control.and the balance of Hunt trying to do too much on both sides of the field in attack was a major problem with our attack..
especially having Hunt ball play on the left side which is not his go..doing little dummies / slow show and hold up the line with ball in hand and then throwing hospitals. (1st half)
When we got to 9-8 and starting the 2nd half the Dragons went back to shutting the game down attack mode.

Field should of been orchestrating the left side play all game as can ball play and take the line on.
He only did it on a couple rare occassions in the 1st half and had defence on their toes.

If SOO players dont back up we will be KO'd by the Dogs...if they do and reasonably healthy we win!...so we need them this time..and the next..and the next.
Dragons need to win 9 / 13 to make the 8...tall order. SOO players..no rest again.
We had our bye...yet again the wrong off week..we need it after a SOO game.

Agree....But have to say My personal care factor has almost gone to Zero....don't want us to make the 8...I want to see the board look like fools for re - signing Mary...so I could handle short term pain to see some changes made....after watching the Canterbury Cup side run around, we have major problems...they look unfit..no one really ready to make the transition to firsts apart from Kerr and maybe Blacker and Saab.....The place is a rabble............

I could see the Dogs doing a number on us...in fact I think they will.

BLM01

First Grade
Agree....But have to say My personal care factor has almost gone to Zero....don't want us to make the 8...I want to see the board look like fools for re - signing Mary...so I could handle short term pain to see some changes made....after watching the Canterbury Cup side run around, we have major problems...they look unfit..no one really ready to make the transition to firsts apart from Kerr and maybe Blacker and Saab.....The place is a rabble............

I could see the Dogs doing a number on us...in fact I think they will.
86...if you did not care you would not be on here.
:rolleyes: This describes how we all feel ATM and this :mad: as old habits at our club dont change except when they employed Bennett for 3 years but stuffing that up behind the scenes still happened not giving him longer in the beginning and waiting too long to come back to him after he asked for longer.
I could never be a supporter to wish a loss unlike some under any cirmcustances.
However the Dogs, Titans or Panthers are not in any better place ATM and i think we will win next wkd but it will be a temporary high.
They say our man management and player culture is good.
That may be so.. but players have a habit of just towing the line when asked but what goes out on the paddock and the outcome mimics instructions, drive and training ethics and there in lies the problems through both senior grades.

getsmarty

Immortal
86...if you did not care you would not be on here.
:rolleyes: This describes how we all feel ATM and this :mad: as old habits at our club dont change except when they employed Bennett for 3 years but stuffing that up behind the scenes still happened not giving him longer in the beginning and waiting too long to come back to him after he asked for longer.
I could never be a supporter to wish a loss unlike some under any cirmcustances.
However the Dogs, Titans or Panthers are not in any better place ATM and i think we will win next wkd but it will be a temporary high.
They say our man management and player culture is good.
That may be so.. but players have a habit of just towing the line when asked but what goes out on the paddock and the outcome mimics instructions, drive and training ethics and there in lies the problems through both senior grades.

99...True...although I did say almost Zero interest....Maybe I should have said, The current Mob running the place have severely dented my enthusiasm....

I will always cheer us on for the win..but if we lose there will be a silver lining....which I stated above....As you correctly stated we all long to see the Bennett years again but that boat has well and truly sailed into the sunset and I can honestly say I cannot see much changing with the nepotism and old boys culture absolutely ingrained at our club...............the only thing that may change it is falling membership and attendance at games and failure on the field because the muppets running the joint won't acknowledge that anything needs to change.