What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Womens state of origin future

T-Boon

Coach
The aim of the NRL/NSWRL (or whoever it is) should be to get SoOW to the point where it is almost as well attended as the mens state of origin.

I realise that sounds crazily ambitious but when you look at the crowds AFLW gets in Perth and Melbourne and Geelong (and probably Adelaide) you have to think if done right it is possible. Add the fact last years SoOW game was an awesome game and very well watched on TV I think it could be at such level in a few years.

One thing they would have to do is advertise the heck out of it.
I would schedule the game on the Sunday before a Wednesday state of origin (same city) so those who have travelled down/up could go to both. Also everyone in the city is in SoO mode at that time.
Get all the NRL players to go (make it mandatory).
On the Sunday night of the womens game have open training sessions at the ground for the NSW and QLD mens team.
Initially make it free entry. (and advertise the crap out of that fact).
Just have a 2 game series, one game in Sydney one in Brisbane.

Part of the logic here is if you could get a womens RL game in Sydney that attracts 50 or 60 thousand bums on seats each year you have got a powerful argument for stadium $'s getting spent on rectangular stadiums rather than Oval grounds.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
In addition to the above, I think that as part of future Magic Rounds they should have a double header on the Gold Coast (rather than Suncorp) on the friday night that has the Titans game followed by a Jillaroos v Kiwi's test match. I think that double header would sell out on the GC.

T-Boon

Coach
Why do they have the Womens SoO at North Sydney Oval? It is an oval in BF Idaho.
There must be 10 more sensible modern rectangular venues in NSW alone.

T-Boon

Coach
In addition to the above, I think that as part of future Magic Rounds they should have a double header on the Gold Coast (rather than Suncorp) on the friday night that has the Titans game followed by a Jillaroos v Kiwi's test match. I think that double header would sell out on the GC.

This was a great idea of mine.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The AFLW GF is completely free to attend so I don't think we need to bother comparing crowds.

I understand the rationale behind wanting to keep it separate from the Men's state of origin (i.e. let the girls build their own profile) but I think it would be a great double header to have both on the one night. The RL world cup has the both men's and women's event, I think we should do the same for Origin.

6pm women's kick-off
8pm men's kick-off

Both televised

T-Boon

Coach
The AFLW GF is completely free to attend so I don't think we need to bother comparing crowds.

I understand the rationale behind wanting to keep it separate from the Men's state of origin (i.e. let the girls build their own profile) but I think it would be a great double header to have both on the one night. The RL world cup has the both men's and women's event, I think we should do the same for Origin.

6pm women's kick-off
8pm men's kick-off

Both televised

Valid points. I just think a womens SoO a few nights before the mens would attract a bigger crowd than having it as a warm up game and would make it more prime time tv.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Valid points. I just think a womens SoO a few nights before the mens would attract a bigger crowd than having it as a warm up game and would make it more prime time tv.

I definately see what you are saying. I guess having it separate gives the girls a chance to shine on their own.

kbw

Bench
It does give the girls their own game . But also cost is a factor there are plenty of people that will spend $10 to go to the Women's SOO but not want to spend the $50 if it was on a double header.

Traditionally SOO is a sell out so plent of women's RL fans would miss out.

T-Boon

Coach
It does give the girls their own game . But also cost is a factor there are plenty of people that will spend $10 to go to the Women's SOO but not want to spend the $50 if it was on a double header.

Traditionally SOO is a sell out so plent of women's RL fans would miss out.

Agreed. If it was on a couple nights before the mens state or origin, you got free entry with a ticket to the mens or $10 entry without, it would get a pretty big crowd (if they marketed it) at some venue better than NSO which is after all an oval.

siv

First Grade
With the high injury rate in womens RL it would better to keep this match as a one game series. But this year it should have been played in Qld

T-Boon

Coach
With the high injury rate in womens RL it would better to keep this match as a one game series. But this year it should have been played in Qld

Interesting. Did not know this was a thing. Women have got to toughen up.

leaguelegend21

Juniors
Does anybody care about this poor excuse of an exhibition contest?

Seriously scrap it or play it on mars where they might find some life form that cares.

T-Boon

Coach

Seriously scrap it or play it on mars where they might find some life form that cares.

I found the WSoO last year to be highly entertaining and totally worth building on. I think it will rate well on TV and should be in front of a big crowd. I have suggested Newcastle as a venue before, I think that would get 20k.

kbw

Bench

I would say a hell of a lot more people care about the womens SOO than care about you for a start

Fangs

Coach
Not a great game yesterday but future looks bright. Keep it at North Sydney, build the following and in a couple years take it elsewhere. NS with only 10k tickets makes it a bit more exclusive which I like.

One thing that feels off about WSOO, it's just a bit too friendly. Looking forward to watching the rivalry enhance over the years. QLD need to start showing more ticker.

kbw

Bench
Interesting. Did not know this was a thing. Women have got to toughen up.

Its sor of for 2 reasons. One is physiologically women are structured differently and they sustain more injuries due to the movement (not just RL) especially knees. There have been a few studies on this The other is due to the break from RL at 12 for most females currently they haven't had as many years playing contact sport. This aspect should change.

Even so, believe me many of the ladies playing RL are incredibly tough, Simaima Taufa is a great example. she played with a cactus knee through the whole WNRL comp last year

Latest posts