What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

Travitoh

First Grade
I think Any of the Storm's forwards would be a welcome addition for 2020 but I would especially love Welch. He will play Origin one day in my opinion.

On another note, has anyone heard of this dickhead?

Rabbitohs slam 'coach whisperer’ for exaggerating premiership claims: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ra...ating-premiership-claims-20190601-p51tjr.html

I've heard of him recently. He's a nuffie.
But if there are people dumb enough to buy into his tripe (looking at you Kevvie) then more power to him.

handyman2190

Bench
Nah I think it’s Welch. I’m pretty sure we were in negotiations last time he was off contract as well. Richo must be really keen on him. Even if he is asking for 5-6 George is supposedly asking for 8. We could do a lot worse.
George asking 8? What a joke,not in the same league as sam no way he isnt even worth 5, but i havent seen a figure for george

southsport

First Grade
Zero Tackle
  • NRL NEWs

• MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - FEBRUARY 18: Christian Welch of the Storm looks on during a Melbourne Storm training session at Gosch's Paddock on February 18, 2019 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Dodge/Getty Images)

Melbourne forward Christian Welch could be set to depart the Storm at the end of this season, with veteran coach Wayne Bennett reportedly keen to lure the young prop to Redfern.

Welch, currently sidelined with a knee injury, was featured heavily in Origin selection conversations for the Maroons before an awkward tackle saw him ruled out for 4-6 weeks.

Despite signing James Roberts to a two-and-half year deal this week, the Rabbitohs still have a decent amount of salary cap left in their kitty. With ‘Jimmy the Jet’ expected to earn $400,000 next season, it leaves close to half a million dollars for the Bunnies to play with and upgrade an already stellar line-up.

Coupled with the expected retirement of John Sutton and departure of George Burgess, reports initially named Brisbane props Tevita Pangai Jnr and Matt Lodge as Bennett’s targets for the 2020 season.

However, the inconsistent form from Pangai Jnr and Lodge’s desire to remain in Red Hill has seen Wayne’s attention to below the New South Wales border, and onto the off-contract Welch.

Playing predominantly off the bench for Melbourne in 2019, Welch’s numbers have been more than impressive, racking up an average of 110 metres, 21 tackles and an offload per game in his ten appearances this year.

He was a near certainty to feature in Queensland’s squad, whether that was in the Game I side or as 18th man is unknown.

Already boasting the signatures of Sam and Tom Burgess, Cameron Murray, Tevita Tatola and Ethan Lowe on their books for next season, Welch’s signature would ensure the Bunnies engine room would remain as dominant as it has this year.

It’s a rare case where Craig Bellamy loses a man he wants to keep, but it’s also not often that Bennett doesn’t get the man he wants.

Destined to play in a Maroon jersey in the next few seasons, and at 24 is entering the prime of his career.

With Bennett and a decent paycheque behind them, it seems Christian Welch is a wanted man in Wayne’s World, and could become a Rabbitoh in 2020 and beyond.

Last edited:

southsport

First Grade
Last edited: