What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

ThingFish

Juniors
Shit. Sam about to miss 5 weeks.

Sam Burgess to undergo shoulder surgery
Author
Brad WalterNRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 3 Jun 2019, 06:15 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Share on social media
South Sydney captain Sam Burgess has revealed that he will undergo surgery after Friday night's game against Newcastle for a painful shoulder injury that he has been carrying since earlier in the season.

Burgess hopes to use the club's upcoming byes during State of Origin to miss just two matches during the five-week recovery period from the operation on his left shoulder.

"If this was round 22 I am not getting it done but this is round 12 and I can't carry it, I am in too much pain every day," Burgess said. "I am missing a couple of tackles. I can't train, I can't do anything so I need to get it fixed."

Burgess was reluctant to say how long he had been playing with the injury but he has scheduled surgery to minimise the impact on the Rabbitohs.

He will miss matches against Penrith and Wests Tigers but hopes to return for the Round 17 clash with Manly after Souths' second Origin period bye.

"I am going for surgery after this week. I am aiming to get back after our second bye so it gives me a five-week period but I would only miss two games," Burgess said.

"This period probably has less effect on the team. Obviously I don't want to miss any games but I realise I can't carry it for the rest of the year. I can't do my job effectively so I have got to get it fixed now.

"I have already had two reconstructions in this shoulder so I can't do any more damage, it is just a flush out or clean which has to be done."

Burgess said he had playing without painkilling injections and team-mates praised the toughness of the English forward after learning the severity of his injury.

Rabbitohs 2014 premiership winning captain John Sutton, whose locker adjoins that of Burgess, said the 30-year-old dual international was demonstrating leadership by the way he had dealt with the injury.

“He is a freak, the way he plays and throws his body around he just inspires the boys every week with just the way he attacks the game,” said Sutton, who will play his 350th match for the club at ANZ Stadium on Friday night.

“What he’s doing is just leading by example. As soon as he crosses the line he just goes hammer and tong like he always does. It is a tough game, it doesn’t get any easier.”

The shoulder injury prevented Burgess in taking part in James Roberts’ first training session with Souths since re-joining the club last week.

Roberts was a member of the Rabbitohs Under 20s team which made the 2010 grand final and he played alongside halfback Adam Reynolds before stints at Penrith, Gold Coast and Brisbane.

The former NSW Origin centre also has a close relationship with Burgess, who spoke to him about a return to Redfern to play under his former Broncos mentor Wayne Bennett after falling out with new coach Anthony Seibold.

“Forgiveness is not a weakness at this club,” Burgess said. “It is probably more of a strength if anything and if you take a bit of care and love you get the best out of a player.

“We’ve got a diverse portfolio of players from all different backgrounds, upbringings and education but what we do is we have a sense of belonging in the team, that’s what we create and James will fit back into that.”

Roberts is expected to be named by Bennett to play against Newcastle at right centre, the position Greg Inglis had begun the season playing before his shock retirement.

“I had a lot to do with him in his time here and even while he was away,” Burgess said. “He is great, he has a smile on his face and he just wants to get back out there and play some football.

“We will certainly take care of him at the club. I have known him for a decade almost. He will be playing outside me at right centre, probably, and he will be a welcome addition.

“There is not a lot of pressure on him, we are not expecting big things straight away. He has not played first grade for a number of weeks or number of months so there is no expectation from us.

“We are thankful to have him, we are glad he is in our team. He knows most of the players in the squad, he knows the club, he grew up playing here so he has just fit in.”

Rabbit toes

First Grade

Author
Timestamp
walterbrad-head.png

Share on social media
South Sydney captain Sam Burgess has revealed that he will undergo surgery after Friday night's game against Newcastle for a painful shoulder injury that he has been carrying since earlier in the season.

Burgess hopes to use the club's upcoming byes during State of Origin to miss just two matches during the five-week recovery period from the operation on his left shoulder.

"If this was round 22 I am not getting it done but this is round 12 and I can't carry it, I am in too much pain every day," Burgess said. "I am missing a couple of tackles. I can't train, I can't do anything so I need to get it fixed."

Burgess was reluctant to say how long he had been playing with the injury but he has scheduled surgery to minimise the impact on the Rabbitohs.

He will miss matches against Penrith and Wests Tigers but hopes to return for the Round 17 clash with Manly after Souths' second Origin period bye.

"I am going for surgery after this week. I am aiming to get back after our second bye so it gives me a five-week period but I would only miss two games," Burgess said.

"This period probably has less effect on the team. Obviously I don't want to miss any games but I realise I can't carry it for the rest of the year. I can't do my job effectively so I have got to get it fixed now.

"I have already had two reconstructions in this shoulder so I can't do any more damage, it is just a flush out or clean which has to be done."

Burgess said he had playing without painkilling injections and team-mates praised the toughness of the English forward after learning the severity of his injury.

Rabbitohs 2014 premiership winning captain John Sutton, whose locker adjoins that of Burgess, said the 30-year-old dual international was demonstrating leadership by the way he had dealt with the injury.

“He is a freak, the way he plays and throws his body around he just inspires the boys every week with just the way he attacks the game,” said Sutton, who will play his 350th match for the club at ANZ Stadium on Friday night.

“What he’s doing is just leading by example. As soon as he crosses the line he just goes hammer and tong like he always does. It is a tough game, it doesn’t get any easier.”

The shoulder injury prevented Burgess in taking part in James Roberts’ first training session with Souths since re-joining the club last week.

Roberts was a member of the Rabbitohs Under 20s team which made the 2010 grand final and he played alongside halfback Adam Reynolds before stints at Penrith, Gold Coast and Brisbane.

The former NSW Origin centre also has a close relationship with Burgess, who spoke to him about a return to Redfern to play under his former Broncos mentor Wayne Bennett after falling out with new coach Anthony Seibold.

“Forgiveness is not a weakness at this club,” Burgess said. “It is probably more of a strength if anything and if you take a bit of care and love you get the best out of a player.

“We’ve got a diverse portfolio of players from all different backgrounds, upbringings and education but what we do is we have a sense of belonging in the team, that’s what we create and James will fit back into that.”

Roberts is expected to be named by Bennett to play against Newcastle at right centre, the position Greg Inglis had begun the season playing before his shock retirement.

“I had a lot to do with him in his time here and even while he was away,” Burgess said. “He is great, he has a smile on his face and he just wants to get back out there and play some football.

“We will certainly take care of him at the club. I have known him for a decade almost. He will be playing outside me at right centre, probably, and he will be a welcome addition.

“There is not a lot of pressure on him, we are not expecting big things straight away. He has not played first grade for a number of weeks or number of months so there is no expectation from us.

“We are thankful to have him, we are glad he is in our team. He knows most of the players in the squad, he knows the club, he grew up playing here so he has just fit in.”

Potentially 2 weeks.
Not the end of the world

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

Author
Timestamp
walterbrad-head.png

Share on social media

Huge loss but he will be primed for the important part of the season.

Pommy

Coach
I thought Bennett didn't let players have injections.....

I don’t think he’s anti injections as such. More are you doing more and irreversible damage, is so then stop. GI seemingly couldn’t lift his arm out from his body.

callmack1

Staff member
Ah shit, this is a big blow. As if the next six weeks weren't going to be tough enough! However, I suppose it's not too bad as he will potentially only miss two games. That's allgood and this is the best time for it to happen.

What a smart team we have!! They would've been managing this for weeks. Also what a player Sam is!! What a team player to play through that every week in order to get to this period and lessen the impact on the team. Great call!

English Rose

Juniors
I thought Sam hadn’t been at his best the last few weeks (by no means was he the worse player though) but obviously now we know the reason why in that he took one for the team and played through an injury!

A fully fit Sam Burgess going into the back end of the season and finals is what Bennett will want!

Travitoh

First Grade
Unpopular opinion - taking injuries into a game is selfish and does more harm than good for a team.

ThingFish

Juniors
The Mole is saying Burns recently broke down at training and could be another 4 weeks away. I don’t know what recently means. Two weeks ago the injury update said he wasn’t progressing.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Unpopular opinion - taking injuries into a game is selfish and does more harm than good for a team.

I think it borders on selfish and selfless but you can’t tell what Sams intentions were. Maybe he really didn’t think the injury would affect him and he just wanted to keep playing for his team? We’re talking about a man who played an 80 minute grand final with a broken cheekbone.

Travitoh

First Grade
I’m sure Bennett will have been aware of the injury and asked Sam to do the team a favour while some key players are away with origin

Thing is, with Murray involved in his first origin series, having Sam available in the coming weeks compared to the previous few is more important imo. Shoulder injuries and rugby league don't mix.

I think it borders on selfish and selfless but you can’t tell what Sams intentions were. Maybe he really didn’t think the injury would affect him and he just wanted to keep playing for his team? We’re talking about a man who played an 80 minute grand final with a broken cheekbone.

The difference here is the cheekbone happened in game.

Thing is, with Murray involved in his first origin series, having Sam available in the coming weeks compared to the previous few is more important imo. Shoulder injuries and rugby league don't mix.

The difference here is the cheekbone happened in game.

They couldn't have managed this injury any better imo. For starters, an 80% fit Sam is better than a 100% fit anyone else.

By having this operation done next week, he only misses two games even though he'll have a five week recovery period. Games against the 14th ranked Panthers and the 10th ranked Tigers.

If he has this operation any other time of the year, he misses a full five games which would've been a catastrophe for our chances.

You can't possibly be unhappy about the way this is being done.

callmack1

Staff member
They couldn't have managed this injury any better imo. For starters, an 80% fit Sam is better than a 100% fit anyone else.

By having this operation done next week, he only misses two games even though he'll have a five week recovery period. Games against the 14th ranked Panthers and the 10th ranked Tigers.

If he has this operation any other time of the year, he misses a full five games which would've been a catastrophe for our chances.

Couldn't agree more. There's no better time to get it done than now.

Travitoh

First Grade

I'm pleased that it is being taken care of before we get into the third trimester of the season. I just feel that this early in the season when the side is travelling as well as Souths are, there is no need to have players playing through injury and injections if it can be fixed over a short space of time. It's not the 80's anymore, player welfare needs to be taken into consideration ahead of the the clubs.

I get that Sam is an important player to the side but he isn't the be all and end all. There is plenty of talent in the squad this year, with a guy like Dean Britt just waiting for an opportunity and Cameron Murray who'll be wearing blue tomorrow night to cover.

Souths wouldn't have gone 0-5 and a disaster permitting, will finish top 4.

I actually see Penrith and Wests as danger games. Penrith are desperately trying to keep their season alive and Wests are a better side than the current ladder suggests.

I do look forward to seeing Sam get back to being Sam after Origin because the past few weeks he has been very Gallen like.

newyboy

Juniors
He has got a Mrs and Kids now he will be fine under Wayne

Souths have shown real leadership with this one. I'm pretty sure he was seen being carried out of an establishment not long ago. You sack him for indiscretions and then resign him when he has blatantly continued being and arse wipe.