What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

South Africa

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Union in SA is well connected with politics...our officials can work as hard as they like it won't get them anywhere in SA, besides they have very little money to make a difference.

Shark62

Juniors
Union in SA is well connected with politics...our officials can work as hard as they like it won't get them anywhere in SA, besides they have very little money to make a difference.
Depends on the approach taken. Nothings worked so far because nothing much has been tried. There is a defeatist attitude in league in my view.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Things have been tried. Infact they have been tried since the late 50's. As stallion said politics, sporting bigotry goes hand in hand with SA union towards league. I suggest you get hold of the article.

Shark62

Juniors
Things have been tried. Infact they have been tried since the late 50's. As stallion said politics, sporting bigotry goes hand in hand with SA union towards league. I suggest you get hold of the article.
Sorry mate I’m not in to old sad stories. I’m only interested in what happens next. We can either stew about the past or create the future. For the game to grow internationally we’ve got to get over a lot of this. I’m not denying shite has happened in the past. I’m saying we need to look at the future and plan accordingly. All the money in the world won’t do the job. It’s smart planning. Something the game is poor at.

adamkungl

Immortal
Sorry mate I’m not in to old sad stories. I’m only interested in what happens next. We can either stew about the past or create the future. For the game to grow internationally we’ve got to get over a lot of this. I’m not denying shite has happened in the past. I’m saying we need to look at the future and plan accordingly. All the money in the world won’t do the job. It’s smart planning. Something the game is poor at.

Rugby League people love to point out something that didn't work decades ago as reason to not bother trying again.

Shark62

Juniors
Rugby League people love to point out something that didn't work decades ago as reason to not bother trying again.
Yep and I have copped it here for pointing it out by a couple of others. I’m not including League XIII as an example. There is no doubt some here carry a massive chip on their shoulder about past union transgressions.

Shark62

Juniors
You're an authority on everything by the looks of it, how about you join the RLIF and show em how it's done.
Thanks for the compliment. Im not actually an authority on everything but I do have extensive experience in change management. The biggest lesson you learn in change management is to learn from the past but don’t let it hold you back.
The world is changing and sports like ours need to have a vision of the future and adapt our approaches accordingly. I’m sure you agree.

Shark62

Juniors
Don’t wa

Recognising past wrongs which have not been righted is not inconsistent with moving forward. In fact it is often integral. Look at reconciliation in Australia.
I don’t think sarfu are going to recognise or apologise for past wrongs.
Their response to anything league tries to do in South Africa should be fairly predictable.
As such it shouldn’t require too much imagination to outsmart them and get the game on the front foot there.
The administrators of rugby union in South Africa may be malevolent to our game but I’ve seen no evidence they are clever.
We need to be clever though. And that requires an acknowledgement and understanding of the hostile response to anything we do and how we use that to our advantage.

Know your enemy.

:joy: Highly original.

What the SARU do is irrelevant.

Pointing out what has previously occurred in RL nations around the world is entirely relevant. See for example France and Vichy.

Latest posts