What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 v Dogs

BLM01

First Grade
This is a game we can win.

The Canterbury line up is just as ordinary as ours.

In fact I will go out on a limb and say it is actually worse than our side even with our SOO players potentially out.

It’s all about club culture and attitude.

Saints by 4.

Norman to lead the way.
I disagree partly. They will drop RFM, Rhys Martin or Ogden & Cogger
for Lewis (who I cant believe was dropped in the 1st place), CHN & Napa
That improves them a fair bit and will trouble our squad..but I think our origin guys back up and we win by 7.

BLM01

First Grade
Surely our pathways team should recognise that top level touch football players usually have a lot of excellent skills; speed, passing game, good step and evasion and sometimes good general kicking game. They should also understand that defence would be one skill they are usually short on.

Surely this could be addressed during the player's development period.
My god possm..where is your head going. You expect pathways and recruitment to do everything that is likely not viable.
You want to scout touch players now in desperation for backs to make it in the NRL.
How about we start with juniors, lower grades in all regions first. There is plently of talent with those potential qualities you desire.
A lot of times our pathways get it right as I see it first hand and can spot talent well. It comes down to the individual's desire, work ethic (not ability) when they get a contract and are selected to try out, then if a kid still has the desire and makes it in SG Ball / or Flegg it comes down to our coaching systems from SG ball up to get it right...and that is another issue right through to 1st grade.
It is hard to find good coaches out there from CRL to NRL

Dragonslayer

First Grade
They wont be rested unless busted after origin...which is possible.

I guess we will know part A of that question tonight and hope Friz, Vaughan and Hunt get through without injury.

Part B if the question we will know by Friday, or at the very least Saturday afternoon when the CC team plays the Warriors in NZ.

My guess is that the only one who wont play on Monday will be Hunt. I think, barring injury, is that Friz and Vaughan will back up. Which would mean both Timm and Kerr will miss out.

The hacks, Sorry I mean the backs, offer what everyone wanted, speed speed and more speed, unfortunately games are usually divided 50/50 between attack and defense add to this the error factor and I think Pay will be licking his lips. There maybe some change there also I think, but again wait until Saturday.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
My god possm..where is your head going. You expect pathways and recruitment to do everything that is likely not viable.
You want to scout touch players now in desperation for backs to make it in the NRL.
How about we start with juniors, lower grades in all regions first. There is plently of talent with those potential qualities you desire.
A lot of times our pathways get it right as I see it first hand and can spot talent well. It comes down to the individual's desire, work ethic (not ability) when they get a contract and are selected to try out, then if a kid still has the desire and makes it in SG Ball / or Flegg it comes down to our coaching systems from SG ball up to get it right...and that is another issue right through to 1st grade.

To add to this, they are touch players; some of them, if not most are built like absolute sticks. When they put on a LOT of muscle to play FG, they will obviously lose a lot of their speed. It's not like Field or Duff where they played touch on the side whilst focussing on League. And look at Duff anyway. Although he's fast he's a ragdoll.

Frank Facer

First Grade
TripADeal NRL team announcement: Round 13 v Bulldogs
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 4 Jun 2019, 04:00 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has named a 22-man squad ahead of the Dragons' Round 13 clash against the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium on Monday, June 10.

Tyson Frizell, Paul Vaughan (New South Wales) and Ben Hunt's (Queensland) State of Origin I selection has allowed for McGregor to name one more player than usual.

Match: Bulldogs v Dragons

Round 13 - Monday 10th June

4:00pm

Home Team

Bulldogs

16th Position

Away Team

Dragons

13th Position

Venue: ANZ Stadium

Match broadcasters:

• Foxtel
  • LIVE PASS
  • KAYO
Buy Tickets
Frizell, Vaughan and Hunt have all been selected in the reserves as a result of their Origin selection. Corey Norman (cheekbone) returns in the halves, and Jacob Host and Korbin Sims have been named to start.

Lachlan Timm has been selected on the interchange, and could potentially become St George Illawarra player #223 if he is to debut. He is joined on the bench by fellow inclusions Josh Kerr and Jeremy Latimore (knee).

James Graham's broken leg sees Blake Lawrie shift to the front row and Luciano Leilua start at lock while Tim Lafai's syndesmosis injury sees Zac Lomax return to the centres and Matt Dufty named at fullback.

Mikaele Ravalawa returns on the wing at the expense of Jordan Pereira, who has been named in the reserves.

NRL squad for Round 13 v Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs –

1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
2. Jonus Pearson – sponsored by SMAI
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Tosich Group
5. Mikaele Ravalawa – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
7. Jai Field – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by EFEX
9. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Floormania
10. Korbin Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
11. Jacob Host – sponsored by Val Morgan
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13. Luciano Leilua – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski

Interchange:
14. Jeremy Latimore – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
15. Reece Robson – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
16. Lachlan Timm – sponsored by My Muscle Chef17. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Domus Lighting
18. Jordan Pereira
19. Mitch Allgood
20. Ben Hunt
21. Tyson Frizell (c)
22. Paul Vaughan

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/06/04/tripadeal-nrl-team-announcement-round-13-v-bulldogs/
The 1 to 17 Mary named this week is probably what he has in mind for round 16 against Melbourne. We will be missing Hunt, Vaughan and Frizell that week, while Melbourne will be missing Addo Carr, Chambers, Kafusi and Munster. It will be at Woolongong.

Juniors
So Matt Dufty has turned into a demon defender after one week in the CC has he and Ravalawa has resolved his many issues in roughly the same time frame . Yeah right. The dogs will be drooling at the prospect of a repeat of last year's 38-0 farewell embarrassment to Gypsy.

Mary seems to think that all you have to do is cure players defensive, positional and catching issues is to spell them for one week. This is cargo cult stuff. It's time for thinking outside of the square. I would have moved Pereira into the right centre and given Saab a shot on the wing. Campbell Graham was 18 when he debuted on the wing for Souths last year so why not give Saab a go?
I watched Saab very closely in CC and in my humble opinion he’s not up to 1st grade yet. Pereira in centre is just a gamble. We have a band aid side and I hope our origin players come out unscathed they play and he uses the bench intelligently

possm

Coach
So Matt Dufty has turned into a demon defender after one week in the CC has he and Ravalawa has resolved his many issues in roughly the same time frame . Yeah right. The dogs will be drooling at the prospect of a repeat of last year's 38-0 farewell embarrassment to Gypsy.

Mary seems to think that all you have to do is cure players defensive, positional and catching issues is to spell them for one week. This is cargo cult stuff. It's time for thinking outside of the square. I would have moved Pereira into the right centre and given Saab a shot on the wing. Campbell Graham was 18 when he debuted on the wing for Souths last year so why not give Saab a go?
Our recruitment people have delivered to us a squad with so much quality depth that we have no choice but to select the marginal first graders.
And Millward is doing a fine job. What a MESS!

possm

Coach
Sorry, I was referring to our juniors Dufty and Field who both came from a touch football background where tackling is not part of the game.

getsmarty

Immortal

TEAM LISTS

Behind enemy lines: Round 13 v Bulldogs
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 4 Jun 2019, 04:40 PM

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs coach Dean Pay has named his mandatory 21-man squad to face the St George Illawarra Dragons on June 10 at ANZ Stadium.

Chris Smith and Adam Elliott have swapped between lock and the interchange, in an otherwise unchanged 17 for the Bulldogs following their slender last start loss to the Canberra Raiders.

Queensland Maroons front-rower Dylan Napa has been named in the reserves following his selection in Wednesday's State of Origin I.

Bulldogs NRL squad for Round 13 v St George Illawarra Dragons –

1. Nick Meaney
2. Christian Crichton
3. Marcelo Montoya
4. Will Hopoate
5. Reimis Smith
6. Kieran Foran
7. Jack Cogger
8. Aiden Tolman
9. Jeremy Marshall-King
10. Ofahiki Ogden
11. Josh Jackson
12. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
13. Adam Elliott

Interchange:

14. Rhyse Martin
15. Danny Fualalo
16. Chris Smith
17. Sauaso Sue
19. Lachlan Lewis
20. Corey Harawira-Naera
21. Michael Lichaa
23. Dylan Napa

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/06/04/behind-enemy-lines-round-13-v-bulldogs/

BLM01

First Grade
Our recruitment people have delivered to us a squad with so much quality depth that we have no choice but to select the marginal first graders.
And Millward is doing a fine job. What a MESS!
Depth is and equates to marginal 1st graders..otherwise they would not be depth and playing 1st grade elsewhere

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So, my take after Origin last night.

Friz is not right and should be rested. For Tyson to only play 39 mins = something wrong. Also for him to be around 83% TE is not like him.

Hunt should also be rested. He played a great game at hooker last night and a rest now would serve him better for us later.

Vaughan should be ok to back up on Monday imo though a rest would also benefit him.

No doubt our Super Coach will leave the decision to play up to these players, completely absolving himself of any poor performance.

Personally, i'd rest all 3 given only 4 day turn around and travel back. Its another 5 day turn around before we face Manly away (i dont count match day as part of "rest"). A 10 day break for these 3 would not only benefit us but also shows good player management.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Rest all 3...

TruSaint, I am sure that you have the team's best interest at heart. But have you considered the fact that we are already missing one of our 3 captains, James Graham? If you rest Tyson, another of our captains, we will be down to a solitary captain. How would McInness cope? How would the team cope? What will constitute the pre-match team talk if there is no need to work out which captain will lead the team out? No, it is asking too much of mere mortals.

If you are intent on resting our SoO stars please consider captaincy substitutes - Jeremy Lattimore? He can apparently cheer the boys up with a good joke. Cory Norman? He has been known to mix in high society circles. Who else? Tariq? Korbin? No the Sims boys would approach the captaincy with too much passion.

I await your nominations with interest.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
TruSaint, I am sure that you have the team's best interest at heart. But have you considered the fact that we are already missing one of our 3 captains, James Graham? If you rest Tyson, another of our captains, we will be down to a solitary captain. How would McInness cope? How would the team cope? What will constitute the pre-match team talk if there is no need to work out which captain will lead the team out? No, it is asking too much of mere mortals.

If you are intent on resting our SoO stars please consider captaincy substitutes - Jeremy Lattimore? He can apparently cheer the boys up with a good joke. Cory Norman? He has been known to mix in high society circles. Who else? Tariq? Korbin? No the Sims boys would approach the captaincy with too much passion.

I await your nominations with interest.

There is only one.
The chosen one.
The favourite one.

The mighty EA!!!
He's an international you know, and only a bees #$%@ away from SOO.

There is no other. Just ask McGregor.

possm

Coach
Depth is and equates to marginal 1st graders..otherwise they would not be depth and playing 1st grade elsewhere
Yes but we do not have a back 3 that are established first graders. We have a first choice back 3 who are marginal first graders and no depth to replace them with. In addition I would say the Aitken is falls into this category however, I do recognise he has been selected as right centre for a few years.

Latest posts