What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dominant/surrender tackles

Uncle dookter

Juniors
In a game where the referee’s have never been able to master the concept of consistency, why do we add another layer for them to contend with. There is a rule to penalise anyone who surrenders (voluntary tackle) that in all the years it has been in the rule book I think it has been imposed maybe 3 times, if that rule exist why do we need this rubbish that the refferee’s decide from one tackle to the next what is dominant therefore allowing more time in the ruck and slowing the game down.

We saw in the storm v warriors game that the refferee’s are incapable of making the right call when it matters most, but in my opinion there are games every week where one team can lay in tackles for an eternity and the opposing team is hounded almost to ridiculous levels by the refferee’s to get off the tackled player.

I’m not singling any particular team out, it seems like it is just a constant theme in most games that this happens.

Origin game 1 last night saw a fast pace open first half off footy, where both teams put on some solid and entertaining attack. Then half time rolls around and the whistle gets put away and in my opinion qld are laying all over the tackled player for an eternity while nsw are hounded to get off the tackled player and are actually penalised for that exact offence. While qld definitely outplayed nsw in the second half, it is certainly easier to be Screaming up off the line when you have a 5-6 second play the ball and your line is set.

And while on origin why do we have to be told that there has to be less penalties in origin then an nrl game. This is just another reason for those of us who are losing any resemblance of interest in a game that we once loved. The penalty and sin binning of lattrell mitchel was the wrong call. Every week and every game in the nrl that is a penalty try. Tedesco was never going to stop Gillette from scoring that try. Why do the rules change for origin. If it’s a penalty then blow the whistle.

Just my two cents.

carcharias

Immortal
Agree with it all apart from Gillet was going to score for sure.

He didn’t actually get that impaired by Latrell.

mave

Coach
Been saying for ages that we need to make a 3, 4 ,5, any amount you like of seconds between a player being called as held, and the ball being played....no matter what type of tackle ( 1 v 1legs, 1 v1 passive, 1v1 dominant, 2 v1 passive, etc)
Will reduce wrestle, rewards legs tackling (which should be a given, not punished like it is now), takes the inconsistency out of the refs hands, refs dont have to make judgement calls on dominant, etc.
We play too much touch footy these days, and coaches are coaching players to sweat on the quick ruck to create space....let's slow it down a little bit and force coaches to come up with some positive attacking moves to break down a defence.

Commentators raving about Murrays supersonic play the ball speed fool the masses, but it is not good RL as a spectator to see a bloke get touched, drop to his hands and knees, bounce up and play the ball. J. Turbo another example.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Play of balls were ok last night, nsw just dint have much after Q’land shut cook down
Penalty try every day of the week
Refs and touchies had a good game
Even watching Ch9 wasnt too sht.

LineBall

Juniors
Been saying for ages that we need to make a 3, 4 ,5, any amount you like of seconds between a player being called as held, and the ball being played....no matter what type of tackle ( 1 v 1legs, 1 v1 passive, 1v1 dominant, 2 v1 passive, etc)
Will reduce wrestle, rewards legs tackling (which should be a given, not punished like it is now), takes the inconsistency out of the refs hands, refs dont have to make judgement calls on dominant, etc.
We play too much touch footy these days, and coaches are coaching players to sweat on the quick ruck to create space....let's slow it down a little bit and force coaches to come up with some positive attacking moves to break down a defence.

Commentators raving about Murrays supersonic play the ball speed fool the masses, but it is not good RL as a spectator to see a bloke get touched, drop to his hands and knees, bounce up and play the ball. J. Turbo another example.

I thought Murray was pushing it with his play-the-balls. He was barely on his feet before he had the ball behind his legs.

hrundi99

First Grade
I'd like to see a replay of the Gillett thing 'cause I reckon it looked worse in slow motion. Mitchell was going to where the ball was going but Gillett was in the way.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
watching the replay now and if that isn't a penalty try then nothing is

he was basically in goal and just had to fall over to score

Tedesco was there but to the side, would have had to be front on to stop him or get underneath the ball

some11

Referee
I'd like to see a replay of the Gillett thing 'cause I reckon it looked worse in slow motion. Mitchell was going to where the ball was going but Gillett was in the way.
D5adY6F.jpg

Uncle dookter

Juniors
My biggest gripe is how the first and second halves of games are refereed entirely differently.

I'd wager that first halves involve almost twice as many penalties.

It makes ZERO sense.

They aren't refereeing; they're game managers.
You are 100% correct they are managing games
Evening up penalty counts is another issue. You see it most games with a few penalties given late in a half for the same offence that has been left unchecked all game until then.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
The only thing worse than the surrender tackle call is the milking call. Basically the ref is saying the player is trying to trick the referee into giving a penalty. In this case, shouldn't that player be penalised for trying to 'milk' a penalty?

T-Boon

Coach

Agreed. I am also starting to think they should ban 3 in the tackle. Every 3 man tackle I have seen this year the third man in has not been necessary to stop the player but just necessary as part of the wrestle move they are doing. Look at changing the rule to if there are 3 in the tackle it does not count towards the tackle count.