What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Cleary a dud?

mxlegend99

Referee
I think we pretty much agree tbh I just think he gets a lot more heat than he deserves.
He has gotten more chances than he deserves... and with that comes the heat for continuously failing to deliver.

Kenny will be crucified if he hasnt improved 5 seasons after his NRL debut too.

franklin2323

Immortal
Kenny wasn't hooker last year and may not be one going forward ( I said earlier I had doubts) but it doesn't change the fact Katoa hasn't developed in 5 years. ATM Kenny is better and a lack of options on the market means it will stay that way for the forseeable future

OldPanther

Coach
Kenny wasn't hooker last year and may not be one going forward ( I said earlier I had doubts) but it doesn't change the fact Katoa hasn't developed in 5 years. ATM Kenny is better and a lack of options on the market means it will stay that way for the forseeable future

I'm not prepared to give up on Egan yet like everyone else.

I'm not prepared to give up on Egan yet like everyone else.

He shouldn’t be given up on, but he needs to work on his game. Best place to do that is in Canterbury Cup.

Kenny looks like he has the fitness to play 80 mins, so it might be possible for Egan to go back and look to improve.

What doubts do you have? He looks pretty natural at the position to me, that’s not to say he’s going to be a star, but he does look suited to the position.

betcats

Referee
I think we pretty much agree tbh I just think he gets a lot more heat than he deserves.

He is getting a lot of heat this year its probably made worse by how disappointing we have been as a whole.

I think he is encouraged by the coach to play what he sees as he pretty much has a free reign to do what he wants. Unfortunately he is just overplaying his hand this season.

OldPanther

Coach
He shouldn’t be given up on, but he needs to work on his game. Best place to do that is in Canterbury Cup.

Kenny looks like he has the fitness to play 80 mins, so it might be possible for Egan to go back and look to improve.

Yeah it might help.

Neither am I but needs good solid game time in NSW Cup. Kenny/Luai hooker rotation and let him go down for a few weeks and then come up

I'd rather Egan at 9 than Luai if we are having a bench hooker unless you mean to give Luai first grade experience in whatever capacity we can.

franklin2323

Immortal
What doubts do you have? He looks pretty natural at the position to me, that’s not to say he’s going to be a star, but he does look suited to the position.

He has 2 Try assists. For comparision Ellis has 4. Burns 3
2 line break assists. Again Ellis and Burns have more
2 line breaks

Top tackler but also top missed tackles. Given away 3rd most penalties

Looks at handy FG. whether hooker is his position or not is the question.

Certainly should be 1 of 2 hookers next year and the year after and see how he develops. also could be better suited to a lock like Murray is

He has 2 Try assists. For comparision Ellis has 4. Burns 3
2 line break assists. Again Ellis and Burns have more
2 line breaks

Top tackler but also top missed tackles. Given away 3rd most penalties

Looks at handy FG. whether hooker is his position or not is the question.

Certainly should be 1 of 2 hookers next year and the year after and see how he develops. also could be better suited to a lock like Murray is

I don’t see another position for him other than hooker in FG, he’s too light for lock. Maybe he could play as a 14 if we find a better Hooker.

What those stats don’t show is his quick service, which is an improvement off of our other two options.

Also his running meters are an impressive 55m per game.

franklin2323

Immortal
I don’t see another position for him other than hooker in FG, he’s too light for lock. Maybe he could play as a 14 if we find a better Hooker.

What those stats don’t show is his quick service, which is an improvement off of our other two options.

The running metres are bit skewed as he often plays as a lock

Radley is 92kg
Murray is 90kg

So there is hope if he doesn't work as hooker but a pre season will do wonders for developement

martielang

Bench

I think we simplified our attack with him at hooker which worked. Did he throw the ball more than 10m from DH? He was effectively dumping it a metre or two either side of the ruck.

franklin2323

Immortal
What doubt is there over Mitch Kenny? All he has do is what he did last week and he’s our best option at hooker easily.

Same issues as Katoa stats wise in NSW Cup just a better defence. He was better than Katoa but that is hardly a high standard. An off season with FG will do him well