What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do mergers and joint-ventures work?

Do mergers and joint-ventures work?

• Total voters
Northern Eagles: Three seasons and no premierships.
(Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles have since won two premierships and the North Sydney Bears no longer compete in the NRL.)

St George Illawarra Dragons: 20 seasons and one premiership.

Wests Tigers: 19 seasons and one premiership.

Pommy

Coach
Northern Eagles: Three seasons and no premierships.
(Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles have since won two premierships and the North Sydney Bears no longer compete in the NRL.)

St George Illawarra Dragons: 20 seasons and one premiership.

Wests Tigers: 19 seasons and one premiership.

This was before my time but weren’t many of these clubs in a bad situations to begin with?
When did Steelers or West’s last win a title?

macavity

Referee
the takeover (StGeo) has worked well.

the merger has, except for one good run, lurched from one disaster to another. The wrong teams merged - should have been Parra Tigers and Wests Dogs. As it stands, two dysfunctional clubs made one dysfunctional club.

Stallion

First Grade
Different mergers and joint ventures may work relevant to their given circumstance and scenario. It's not an all fits one question. The forced mergers were completely ignorant of historical relevance and fan based loyalties when enforced due to a flawed competition number agreement in 1997. The only one having some synergy has been St George Illawarra Dragons. This joint venture had the same colours, reasonable locality and historical ties with players in past years The others were enforced due to a poor agreement at the end of the superleague split.

unforgiven

Bench
Different mergers and joint ventures may work relevant to their given circumstance and scenario. It's not an all fits one question. The forced mergers were completely ignorant of historical relevance and fan based loyalties when enforced due to a flawed competition number agreement in 1997. The only one having some synergy has been St George Illawarra Dragons. This joint venture had the same colours, reasonable locality and historical ties with players in past years The others were enforced due to a poor agreement at the end of the superleague split.
The Wests Tigers merger had reasonable historical relevance, shared historical boundaries, similar colours and was the only true 50/50 merger. For someone who speaks so much about the history of the game you really have a poor understanding of it!

There is stuff all synergy with Illawarra and St George. Like all of these situations it has been an ongoing shit fight for power and jobs for the boys.

I’d call the whole thing a disaster really, well at least until they piss off the coach and the other old boy cronies in the joint

TheFrog

Coach
I’d call the whole thing a disaster really, well at least until they piss off the coach and the other old boy cronies in the joint
There are cronies and factions in clubs that aren't joint ventures as well. Not to mention controversial coach appointments.

There are cronies and factions in clubs that aren't joint ventures as well. Not to mention controversial coach appointments.

I get that, however you are ignoring the point.

Factions aligned to either side of the merged entities continued to play stupid games based upon power within n the club.

It has hurt the club, but more so it has hurt the fans / supporters. Currently the place is farked

BennyV

Referee
Disagree - one incompetent club run by dinosaurs only looking out for themselves formed a joint venture with another incompetent club run by dinosaurs only looking out for themselves WITH a low bar for success and no history has created an incompetent superclub run by dinosaurs only looking out for themselves with a low bar for success and some ancient history. And the fans are the ones to suffer for it.

Vic Mackey

Referee

the merger has, except for one good run, lurched from one disaster to another. The wrong teams merged - should have been Parra Tigers and Wests Dogs. As it stands, two dysfunctional clubs made one dysfunctional club.

Well since we’ve been around we’ve won the same amount of Premierships as powerhouses Brisbane, Bulldogs, Penrith, Souths, Knights, Cowboys and Sharks

And one more then Eels, Titans, Warriors, Raiders

Have also never won a wooden spoon

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
The Wests Tigers merger had reasonable historical relevance, shared historical boundaries, similar colours and was the only true 50/50 merger. For someone who speaks so much about the history of the game you really have a poor understanding of it!

Believe it or not at the time Balmain were forced into making a choice between Parramatta or Wests. I sent a letter to Balmain CEO Danny Munk suggesting that the colour mix with Wests (black&white) and Balmain (black &gold ) would be the better option than mixing with the blue and gold of Parramatta. The CEO thanked me for my letter by sending me a letter . A month later Balmain elected to merge with Wests.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
There is stuff all synergy with Illawarra and St George. Like all of these situations it has been an ongoing shit fight for power and jobs for the boys.

? Same colours. Players like Lan glands were from the Illawarra? We differ for sure.

Latest posts