What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Coffs dragon

Bench
I think I have a modest grasp of the game.. well I played for 25 years have been watching rl since I can remember and have now started coaching , i watch every game and spend a lot of spare time analysing dragons games.. can you tell me/explain to me the areas Mary falls short in?
His failings as a coach match his excuses.......long & extensive!
I feel the Dragons fans could stomach him more if he simply accepted responsibility & didn't shift the blame.
His use and understanding of a bench for control & impact is just DIABOLICAL!

Gareth67

First Grade
Isn’t it what Coffs , as you have said the bloke just has no idea . However that is only one of his failings , another is that at least to me , he simply cannot inspire his team on to greater heights.

One aspect of other teams is the self belief and enthusiasm that their players have , which seems to be missing here at the Dragons . Undoubtedly Mary was a very good player in his day but most unfortunately his talents as a coach fall way short of his skills as a player .

71saintsimon

Juniors
Memo to all the scumbags making terrible choices at the dragons , why is Melbourne always leading the Comp no matter who leaves them???? How much money has been spent on a spine in the McGregor years ? Widdop , hunt , Norman , Marshall , Dugan , just to name a few , so why are the dragons besides some moderate ok performances consistently a rabble and struggling ? Why was McGregor resigned ? It’s very simple McGregor is not a coach it’s there In black and white he wil not ever make the dragons a premiership force get rid of him and sign a coach outside the dragons Circle because every coach tried from within there own has been a terrible failure

RED73V

Juniors
I can name a few areas Mary could work on or improve. But I can also name a few areas where he excells.. But you first.
Sorry my bad , you’re right Mary does excel at jet skis, painting the gym, drink driving, his selection of the bench & not dropping out of form players from the starting side. Oh I almost forgot his fantastic game plans , lack of developing players & retention of talented juniors .........that’s just to name a few Mary’s a champion at all of that :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Gareth67

First Grade
The above posts yet again show that I am not the only one - by a country mile , that has seen the writing on the wall as far as just where our promising juniors will eventually go and that is and has always been to other clubs . Ever since knucklehead was proven to be a dud , if not one of the worst bluudy coaches in the NRL .

The juniors are the very lifeblood of all clubs ( at least those that are governed by a salary cap ) and the longer this bloke is showing just what direction to do the laps of the oval at training then the longer the once mighty Dragons will become nothing more then a myth - hang your heads in shame the board of the J.V. , you have failed the clubs you represent miserably as well as the team itself and of course let’s not forget those ignorant fans .

Coffs dragon

Bench
The above posts yet again show that I am not the only one - by a country mile , that has seen the writing on the wall as far as just where our promising juniors will eventually go and that is and has always been to other clubs . Ever since knucklehead was proven to be a dud , if not one of the worst bluudy coaches in the NRL .

The juniors are the very lifeblood of all clubs ( at least those that are governed by a salary cap ) and the longer this bloke is showing just what direction to do the laps of the oval at training then the longer the once mighty Dragons will become nothing more then a myth - hang your heads in shame the board of the J.V. , you have failed the clubs you represent miserably as well as the team itself and of course let’s not forget those ignorant fans .
So true Gareth & probably why Millward was given the title of "Director of RL Pathways" He has to greet them juniors at the gate & wave goodbye as they leave McAnchor's grasp and forge NRL opportunities elsewhere.

gonz

Juniors

Johnstone should sack himself! Worst call any ceo has ever made

St Hope

Juniors
WepnutV you ask for some explanations as to why some of us dislike Mary as a coach well here are a few his failing in my opinion.
Firstly he coaches like an accountant knows all the facts and figures but cannot tell you how to do your job. There is no creativity in what we do and that is why we play so poorly when the pressure is on.
Selection of teams e.g the last two games he has dropped a fullback & winger (Cronulla) and this game a winger after loses REALLY . Look how long it took to get a half and what we paid compare that to what Melbourne did when Cronk left and what Seibold (2nd year first grade coach)did at the Broncs , let a half I am sure we would have snapped up 2 years ago go and brought in a 18 year old and plays a 19 year old prop What do we do we take our young guns along at a snails pace case in point is big Luciano probably our best ball playing forward but he only has to make a missed tackle or bad pass and he will lose his spot to the likes of Latimore ( no disrespect intended but we need creativity not head down a.. up .
lastly Mary always talks about the D but what puts most pressure on our D is not the opposition but our attack or lack of.
Those are a few of plenty .
Wish I could be as forgiving as you but his time has been and gone .
The first Saints game I went to was in 1967 with my grandfather we lost to Souths can still remember standing on an esky on the hill there were 52,000 fans hope all you have as good memories of your first game.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Like Smith too long out of the NRL & Sydney scene and too much yesterday's man about them.
As I said before whilst I don't like Gould as a commentator / know it all / administrator I think 2 years with him as coach and maybe JD with him would be a very good scenario.
Our club needs someone who knows and understands the culture and history and that is what Bennett acknowledged when he came here.
He said words the the effect that we were an iconic club with a great history and fans that have been waiting too long for a premiership.
Gould is also of that type of belief and would be able to get the phoenix to rise from the ashes that have been smouldering ever since Bennett's departure.
Hell I no longer understand the culture of our club, or perhaps its just that I dont want to acknowledge the obvious and just admit that the culture has turned to mediocrity since Bennett left with two outright mediocre coaching appointments since as well as a very ordinary CEO appointment process and some crap player retention and recruitment. I am getting old and bitter and sadly, sadder by the day, Still if the dogs smash us today something might happen, maybe.