What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 vs. Gold Coast Titans

Big Pete

Referee
NRL 2019 - Round 13
Brisbane Broncos v Gold Coast Titans
Suncorp Stadium, Milton (TICKETS)
Sunday 9 June 2019

TL-BRI19.png

1. Darius Boyd
2. Corey Oates
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Gehamat Shibasaki
5. Jamayne Isaako
6. Anthony Milford
7. Tom Dearden
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Tevita Pangai

Interchange
14. Andrew McCullough
15. David Fifita
16. Thomas Flegler
17. Joe Ofahengaue

Reserves

18. Patty Carrigan
19. Jaydn Su'A
20. Richard Kennar
21. Sean O'Sullivan
22. Izaia Perse
23. Shaun Fensom

TL-GLD19.png

1. Alexander Brimson
2. Anthony Don
3. Jesse Arthars
4. Brian Kelly
5. Dale Copley
6. Tyrone Roberts
7. Ash Taylor
8. Jarrod Wallace
9. Mitch Rein
10. Moeaki Fotuaika
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Keegan Hipgrave
13. Jai Arrow

Interchange:
14. Tyrone Peachey
15. Shannon Boyd
16. Bryce Cartwright
17. Jai Whitbread

Reserves
18. Jack Stockwell
19. Max King
20. Ryley Jacks
21. Nathan Peats​

Big Pete

Referee
It's difficult to comment on this match when the team list could be so dramtically different come Sunday.

1. Darius Boyd
2. Corey Oates
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Gehamat Shibasaki
5. Jamayne Isaako
6. Anthony Milford
7. Tom Dearden
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Tevita Pangai

Interchange
14. Andrew McCullough
15. David Fifita
16. Thomas Flegler
17. Joe Ofahengaue

Realistically, all the bench players should be right to go and only Matt Gillett would be considered questionable given his history.

I expect more of the same from Brisbane, which is to say they'll predominately play through the middle and off the back of Milford. I expect plenty of short ball for Alex Glenn to target Ash Taylor on the fringes and I expect that left-side to have more success than they usually do.

I don't necessarily think the Broncos have it in the bag either. The Broncos are the worst team at diffusing kicks in the competition and if the Gold Coast have one strength it's their kicking game. If the Gold Coast can string a couple of good kicks together, it could easily be 10-0 early and Brisbane would be forced to do it the hard way.

Big Pete

Referee
Oates, Gillett and Ofahengaue are out.

1. Darius Boyd
20. Richard Kennar
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Gehamat Shibasaki
5. Jamayne Isaako
6. Anthony Milford
7. Tom Dearden
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
15. David Fifita
13. Tevita Pangai

Interchange
14. Andrew McCullough
16. Thomas Flegler
18. Patrick Carrigan
19. Jaydn Su'A

Is how the Broncos will line-up for tomorrow afternoon's local derby.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
There are 3 NRL standard fullbacks at Melbourne. Surely we can secure one before June 30 after losing Roberts, Niko, Kahu, McGuire, etc ???

Big Pete

Referee
They played like a wooden spoon side this afternoon.

They had a couple of things go against them early and the piece de resistance was that effort on Tyrone Roberts. That was the most embarrassing effort from Darius Boyd yet and if he's the best the Broncos have at the back, they're in bigger trouble than we first thought.

I thought the shock of that try jolted them a bit and it looked like they were going to level things up into half-time. However, the attack close to the line was just really clunky and predictible. It was all down the left-hand side and they weren't throwing any shapes at the Gold Coast.

It appeared as if they got frustrated and didn't want to defend the next set, allowing the Gold Coast to go 80 and wrap the game up.

The most frustrating thing was that it didn't improve at all in the second half. They were still persevering down that left hand-side, throwing bad passes and giving away bad penalties.

I was never under any illusion that this was a premiership winning side, but if they keep this up they'll win the spoon.

DeeJ

Bench
There are 3 NRL standard fullbacks at Melbourne. Surely we can secure one before June 30 after losing Roberts, Niko, Kahu, McGuire, etc ???

Siebold made big moves dropping Nikorima and Roberts, but Boyd will never be replaced. He did shit all today. Fullback is meant to be one of the most active positions on the field and he was invisible.

I thought Kenner was very good on his debut and I take back all that I said about him. He was very safe and ran the ball hard.

Turpin was our best. McCullough played pretty well I thought and seems to have brought back some attack.

Pangai Jr was poor, his handling giving the Titans the advantage. Lodge was guilty of this too.

Showtime

Juniors
Siebold made big moves dropping Nikorima and Roberts, but Boyd will never be replaced. He did shit all today. Fullback is meant to be one of the most active positions on the field and he was invisible.

I thought Kenner was very good on his debut and I take back all that I said about him. He was very safe and ran the ball hard.

Turpin was our best. McCullough played pretty well I thought and seems to have brought back some attack.

Pangai Jr was poor, his handling giving the Titans the advantage. Lodge was guilty of this too.

Watching Boyd run out at fullback for the rest of the year is going to be painful.... hopefully Seibold taps him and McCullough on the shoulder and has the same conversation he had with Nikorima.

XXXX Cap

Juniors

The Wynnum fans will be delighted if he stays with the Broncos. He has contributed nothing to the Gulls this year. Very happy to have our locals in his place.

Big Pete

Referee
The Wynnum fans will be delighted if he stays with the Broncos. He has contributed nothing to the Gulls this year. Very happy to have our locals in his place.

You could get your wish, Seibold thought he was in the Broncos Top 3.

It looked like Manihera came out of retirement. Brisbane only had one attacking play all afternoon and he was too slow to take advantage of it. The one time he had to contest a difficult kick he snuffed it as well, and his defence on the Don try was pretty bad. I have memories of him being hooked against Brisbane last year for his defensive efforts, I'd hate to see him targeted again.

He's a coaches pet and I don't know who Seibold thought he was fooling. The Broncos have another winger in their development squad who's a better winger than him and maybe the best winger at the club behind Oates. Unfortunately they can't pick him until June 30th.

Nerd

Bench
I thought we were out enthused by the Titans and don't think it is a coincidence that our attack returned to the bumbling Broncos with the return of McCullough. Turpin has to be our hooker going forward and McCullough is Siebolds problem.

Big Pete

Referee
Dearden had surgery on his high ankle-sprain, isn't expected back until Round 22.

Alex Glenn is also set to miss two weeks with an MCL sprain.

renouf

Juniors
I thought we were out enthused by the Titans and don't think it is a coincidence that our attack returned to the bumbling Broncos with the return of McCullough. Turpin has to be our hooker going forward and McCullough is Siebolds problem.

Should be interesting to see who he names at no.9 today