What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WC 14th Match: Australia v India - London 9/6/19 (Ind win by 36 runs)

Sphagnum

Coach
2 useles wickets in the last over, 9 runs an over with the ball, 2nd ball duck, surely we can get somebody who will actually contribute something rather than Poinis

Sphagnum

Coach
Kohli motioning to the crowd to stop booing Smith and Warner.

I don’t think Smith deserves as much as he is getting, but he and Warner is probably going to get it for a while. It doesn’t really seem to bother them on the park. I’m somewhat worried about Smith’s mental health though.
Yeah, coming back in and being expected to hard carry the batting line up again. At least he doesn't have to captain anymore.

Pommy

Coach
Kohli motioning to the crowd to stop booing Smith and Warner.

I don’t think Smith deserves as much as he is getting, but he and Warner is probably going to get it for a while. It doesn’t really seem to bother them on the park. I’m somewhat worried about Smith’s mental health though.

f**king hell he is getting booed he’s a pro sportsman, if you make a merkin of yourself this is what happens it’s part of the job description.
I didn’t see Smith telling the Australian fans to stop booing Stuart Broad in the last ashes season.
If it is harming his mental heath that much he can just stop playing, or he could just think getting paid all this money to be booed by some insignificant people isn’t such a big deal.

Bazal

Post Whore
Starc and Stoinis at the death (and Finch failing to use his bowler properly) meant we we were always chasing 35 odd more than we should have been. And we lose by 36 in the end...you can forgive Starc, everyone has off days occasionally but Stoinis is a real issue. Him and Maxwell in the middle is becoming a big problem too.

Not sure why NCN is copping a pasting, he was better than all the bowlers bar Cummins.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Stoinis to Parramatta.

Be a great backup depth player that plays in the top grade every week

Credit where it’s due, that’s class from Kohli.

I've always liked him, his mental strength to keep delivering is phenomenal , only Smith on par but not in all formats. Was a knob earlier in his career, and at times looks that way In the field. But id love him in our XI over anyone else, in all formats. Watch him in any interview, humble and classy. Few levels above Ganguly thats for sure

blaza88z

Coach
Starc and Stoinis at the death (and Finch failing to use his bowler properly) meant we we were always chasing 35 odd more than we should have been. And we lose by 36 in the end...you can forgive Starc, everyone has off days occasionally but Stoinis is a real issue. Him and Maxwell in the middle is becoming a big problem too.

Not sure why NCN is copping a pasting, he was better than all the bowlers bar Cummins.

As soon as Starc/Cummins were taken out of the attack India identified him as a target bowler and took to him accordingly, I have doubts over our first change bowlers in this tournament (Stoinis included), we'd be a better side with Hazlewood/Starc taking the new ball with Cummins as first change.

I think with this combination they would be forced into a situation to take a few risks against Zampa and as a spinner that would be ideal, you want guys trying to hit you out of the park as opposed to rotating the strike.

TheParraboy

Staff member
As soon as Starc/Cummins were taken out of the attack India identified him as a target bowler and took to him accordingly, I have doubts over our first change bowlers in this tournament (Stoinis included), we'd be a better side with Hazlewood/Starc taking the new ball with Cummins as first change.

I think with this combination they would be forced into a situation to take a few risks against Zampa and as a spinner that would be ideal, you want guys trying to hit you out of the park as opposed to rotating the strike.

I think we possibly need to open with Maxwell and someone else next time we play them, especially if they bat first? while the batsmen are not set, get them to play loose shots early?

undertaker

Coach
Solid innings from Warner.

Sorry I thought it was the 1999 World Cup.

1999 World Cup? Haha!

Warner could only dream of playing an innings such as what Steve Waugh produced in back-to-back matches against South Africa. He would've been absolutely shitting himself facing the white Dukes ball (difficult enough against the red one used in test matches. The white one swung twice as much), much like Reon King's infamous 1 run off 30 balls in that tournament.

Last edited:

gUt

Coach
Finch bringing Zampa on during slog overs is questionable at best. Also Finch should move himself down the order so Uzzie can open.

undertaker

Coach
It's a hard life being booed by crowds when you're on $1 million+ to play a game

This

If you factor in that Smith/Warner were earning approx $3-6 million/year just from playing salaries alone (tests/ODIs/IPL/other T20 leagues) before their suspensions, the likes of Sir Richard Hadlee, Sir Viv, etc. were earning less than 2-3% of what Smith and Warner currently earn every year (most of the earnings for non-English players from the '70s to the 90s came from playing County cricket in UK, as they got paid more there than they did representing their country and pre-T20 era, it was the only form of cricket below international level where you could make a living before the ECB started introducing restrictions on the number of foreign players allowed in each squad).

Yet despite copping much more sledging back in those days from both crowds and opposition players (which included racial abuse), Hadlee/Richards/Crowe/Imran etc. still showed that class is permanent and they got on with the job, letting their on-field performances with bat or ball do the talking.

Last edited: