What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reagan Campbell-Gillard and Jack Hetherington

getsmarty

Immortal
Im not on here a great deal and may have missed if it was mentioned in an early post.....but what factors are working against him? I would really like to know. If there is an inbox option on here im happy to be advised via there. Thanks mate.

All stated elsewhere....not going to go into detail here...try JA Cheers

possm

Coach
Not that simple....we don't get JDB full amount for this year and club is standing by him so may factor this into future plans........as I stated above, other clubs may offer more.....and the days of paying overs are gone..
So sign him on a 3 yr deal, pay him pro rata JDB's salary for this year which last week was approx. 288k and pay him JDB's salary 550k for the next two years.

If/when JDB returns, work things out with the NRL and/or let a couple of lower grade forwards go e.g. Allgood, Latimore etc.

Treat RCG as a keeper and work the cap around him.

getsmarty

Immortal
So sign him on a 3 yr deal, pay him pro rata JDB's salary for this year which last week was approx. 288k and pay him JDB's salary 550k for the next two years.

If/when JDB returns, work things out with the NRL and/or let a couple of lower grade forwards go e.g. Allgood, Latimore etc.

Treat RCG as a keeper and work the cap around him.

All good in theory...but as I already stated other clubs have more money and location in their favor .

Allgood would be on little money and needs to be replaced...same with Latimore...you don't just automatically lose a player from your top 30 and take that money and pay another player. eg you don't just let a couple of lower grade forwards go and not replace them...that is not how the cap works...

possm

Coach
All good in theory...but as I already stated other clubs have more money and location in their favor .

Allgood would be on little money and needs to be replaced...same with Latimore...you don't just automatically lose a player from your top 30 and take that money and pay another player. eg you don't just let a couple of lower grade forwards go and not replace them...that is not how the cap works...
The contract for De Belin will become the contract for RCG. There is really no need to top up this salary unless there is a minor increase required.

I am sure that Latimore and Allgood are on a higher rate than one of our junior props anyway.

At the end of 2019 players will come off contract and SGI will do what they always do at the end of a season; let some go, keep others and recruit some. In doing this they can work around RCG's salary.

getsmarty

Immortal
The contract for De Belin will become the contract for RCG. There is really no need to top up this salary unless there is a minor increase required.

I am sure that Latimore and Allgood are on a higher rate than one of our junior props anyway.

At the end of 2019 players will come off contract and SGI will do what they always do at the end of a season; let some go, keep others and recruit some. In doing this they can work around RCG's salary.

Not sure if that is the case as the club are standing by JDB and therefore need to pencil him in as he may become available to play in the future dependent on the Court's ruling.

I really don't want to continue discussing this with you we are just going around in circles....

Let's just leave it there and have a good afternoon possm.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Yes it would..but other clubs have big money available...eg Dogs...would also be closer relocation wise for RCG....Not always as easy as people make out....

P.S Maybe Korbin and Tariq can have a word in his ear.
Someone did say on this forum or the JA one that RCG will be here before the end of the month. We certainly do need another decent prop. I am now convinced that Lawrie is not up to standard. He is too ineffective in first grade. He lacks size for a prop and doesn't have many skills.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Dude, no offense, but how is he doing a good job? By what measures? We are an embarrassment on the TPA front and Wollongong is a disincentive for recruits. I'll give you those two factors as things beyond his control that he has to work against. But we have no obvious recruitment strategy addressing positions of weakness and he's overseen the signing of a succession of clear failures, including the job lot of reserve grade backs and bench forwards he bought in this year. The stated policy is to recruit for value, except we don't. Value implies that we pay under for players who deliver above what they cost. We pay reserve grade prices for reserve grade footballers who continue to play reserve grade football when they end up in first grade.

Unless the planks and marshmallow eaters we've recruited over the past couple of seasons have been brought in over his head, he's culpable for their failure to improve the side. And if they were brought in over his head, why is he there?
I agree that lack of TPA's and located in Woolongong is a disadvantage, but I think Millward has done a great job since taking over recruitment. He has brought K. Sims, T Sims, Norman, Hunt, Graham and McInnes to our clubs as recruitment manager. He has also retained most of our best young talent. Yes our outside backs are weak. I think outside backs are one of the easiest positions to fill. Props and halves are the hardest positions to fill.

j0nesy

Bench
Lawrie’s decent and will be a solid first grader. But He lacks a bit of size, lacks ball playing skills and struggles to move laterally in defence. On the upside he has a huge motor and an even bigger heart. He’ll be a solid first grader but not a world beater. We need a lock that can play prop, ideally. But either of these two would be good.

possm

Coach
He was dropped because he was an hour late for the Captain's run mate.
Back in the good ol' days young players were housed and looked after by families associated with the club. Most were kept on the straight and narrow until they reached a mature age.

SBD82

Coach
Back in the good ol' days young players were housed and looked after by families associated with the club. Most were kept on the straight and narrow until they reached a mature age.
What’s your angle here?

Luc is 23. Pretty sure he knows his way to training. It’s not an outrageous expectation that he attend on time.