What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 vs. Parramatta Eels

Big Pete

Referee
NRL 2019 - Round 14
Parramatta Eels vs. Brisbane Broncos
Bankwest Stadium, Parramatta
Saturday, 15 June 2019

TL-PAR19.png

1. Clint Gutherson
2. Maika Sivo
3. Michael Jennings
4. Josh Hoffman
5. Blake Ferguson
6. Jaeman Salmon
7. Mitchell Moses
8. Kane Evans
9. Reed Mahoney
10. Junior Paulo
11. Shaun Lane
12. Manu Ma'u
13. Nathan Brown

Interchange:
14. Ray Stone
15. Peni Terepo
16. David Gower
17. Marata Niukore

Reserves
18. Daniel Alvaro
19. Tepai Moeroa
20. Brad Takairangi
21. Will Smith

TL-BRI19.png

1. Darius Boyd
2. Corey Oates
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Gehamat Shibasaki
5. Jamayne Isaako
6. Anthony Milford
7. Sean O'Sullivan
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. David Fifita
12. Matt Gillett
13. Tevita Pangai

Interchange:
14. Andrew McCullough
15. Jaydn Su'A
16. Thomas Flegler
17. Patty Carrigan

Reserves
18. Richard Kennar
19. Shaun Fensom
20. Patrick Mago
21. James Segeyaro

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
Dearden suffered a high ankle sprain and will miss the game.

O'Sullivan played well in Norths 28-16 win against Redcliffe and shapes as the favourite to take his place.

Corey Oates and Matt Gillett will make their returns.

Likely Side
1. Darius Boyd (c)
2. Corey Oates
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Gehamat Shibasaki
5. Jamayne Isaako
6. Anthony Milford
7. Sean O'Sullivan
8. Matt Lodge
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Tevita Pangai

Interchange
14. James Segeyaro
15. David Fifita
16. Thomas Flegler
17. Patrick Carrigan

It will be interesting to see if Seibold brings Segs back into the side right away. You would have to think he'd be better in that 30 minute role and the coach has considered Turpin the Broncos best in the past four weeks.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Lacking strike power in the centres, and without Oates our 1-5 is unimpressive attack wise. Staggs is going ok but is hardly a weapon and Shibasaki has a case of the dropsies.

Big Pete

Referee
As expected, no mass changes despite the awful performance against the Gold Coast. Brisbane are leaning on Origin as an excuse and they're hoping that the inclusions of Oates, Gillett and O'Sullivan will be enough.

I don't mind the inclusion of O'Sullivan. Dearden has the higher ceiling, but O'Sullivan is just a more willing player at this stage of his career. He can be a little more erratic than Tom which is a worry, but he'll open up the field more and create more space for the team in general. One of the Broncos biggest problems is that they're obsessed with the left hand side.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
What's the point of McCullough on the bench. If you are going to play him then you need to start him. My feeling is he should be left right out!

One could argue that SOS is more ready than Dearden right now, so we might actually be better off. He has a decent left foot so should complement Milf as well. Time will tell I guess.

Our forward pack looks good on paper but our backline is pretty meh. I haven't head from anyone "need to get early ball to Staggs or Shibasaki". And Boyd at fullback, omg. I know we don't have many fullback options, but surely we can pull someone from somewhere who can give us some bloody spark. And what has happened to Isaako this season... Maybe giving him a shot at fullback might spark him, who knows.

Fingers crossed as always. Eels have a decent side on paper, at home. Won't be easy for the Broncs I'm afraid.

Big Pete

Referee
Segeyaro would have been the better option on the bench, but he's in the doghouse for the DUI. He could still be a late inclusion but his omission was a symbol that he needs to earn his spot back. On current form, Turpin has to start the game and allowed to set the platform for the team. It would be unfair on him to dump him onto the bench and expect to pick up the pieces when he comes on. Macca is on the bench because Turpin struggles to play 80 and the Broncos need a back-up.

I'm interested to see how Shibasaki performs outside O'Sullivan. Outside of the errors, he's actually shown some good signs working the ball out of trouble. Dearden is still very passive at this stage of his career, so the change up should see the Broncos play with more width, making their structures that more effective.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
If Segy is still in dog house then the Broncos should have suspended him for longer in the first place. From a fans point of view, he is available for selection, and the fans deserve to see the team out there the best chance of winning the game.

Big Pete

Referee
If Segy is still in dog house then the Broncos should have suspended him for longer in the first place. From a fans point of view, he is available for selection, and the fans deserve to see the team out there the best chance of winning the game.

Brisbane want to see how Segeyaro reacts. If they suspended him for longer, James wouldn't have the opportunity to play QCup or press for his spot at training. It's about setting standards for the long term and not compromising the values of the club for a player who is on his last chance in the NRL.

Nerd

Bench
Well that was depressing. Back to the bumbling crap from early in the year. No line speed in defence and we're back at grabbing again instead of hitting like the game against the Roosters. Someone needs to get in Lodges ear and tell him to stop looking to pass before the line and just put his head down and run. This new tap move of 2-3 passes wide from a tap is terrible and should be dropped asap. What's with this kicking out on the full from a kick off?? We must have done it 2-3 times this year where most teams will go 2-3 years before doing it.

Big Pete

Referee
Brisbane followed up last week's effort with a near identical performance against the Eels. The return of Corey Oates should have sparked Brisbane, instead he was the worst player on the field. The inexperience in the line-up showed and the senior players didn't take enough initiative. Too often the Broncos relied on Lodge and Pangai Jr to do the ball-playing when it should be Milford, Boyd and O'Sullivan getting into first receiver and spreading the ball around. The Eels defence was rarely tested and Brisbane did nothing to control any portion of the game.

An awful performance that has well and truly put the season in tatters for Brisbane. If they want to be competitive next season, they have to make some strong calls now.

Last edited:

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
The writing was on the wall when they let in that soft Paulo try. It's incredible how many matches they don't turn up for these days.

Oates is a real confidence player. An early error in the match can really affect him mentally. Unfortunately this means we will see the occasional shocker from him.

It's a bit weird that we drop Roberts as he doesn't put in enough and is lazy. Then without him we show a complete lack of effort against the Titans and Eels.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Brisbane followed up last week's effort with a near identical performance against the Eels. The return of Corey Oates should have sparked Brisbane, instead he was the worst player on the field. The inexperience in the line-up showed and the senior players didn't take enough initiative. Too often the Broncos relied on Lodge and Pangai Jr to do the ball-playing when it should be Milford, Boyd and O'Sullivan getting into first receiver and spreading the ball around. The Eels defence was rarely tested and they didn't come under any pressure all night.

An awful performance that has well and truly put the season in tatters for Brisbane. If they want to be competitive next season, they have to make some strong calls now.

What about you suggest? Here is what I think:

1. Somehow fix the mentality and attitude of this team. We are horrible in the face of adversity and crumble the very instant something goes wrong.

2. Get rid of Macca and Boyd. I don't care they still have time on their contract. Find a way to move them on. I am also beyond caring that we don't have depth at fullback. We are doing terribly with Boyd there anyway. Look to recruit at fullback, I'm surprised that we seemingly didn't go after Drinkwater.

3. Our backline has very little strike power. I think Isaako needs time in QLD cup. I don't think all is completely lost but he has pretty much been playing with no confidence all season. Give Perese and/or Farnworth a shot (and Coates next year) as they have been playing well. We might have to give up the Shibasaki experiment soon. I can't believe we just let Roberts walk away mid-season.

I guess there is a bunch of things one could add to the list, but they are the three main ones for now.

Big Pete

Referee
Before Brisbane signed Anthony Seibold, my biggest concern was his capacity to build a squad. When Seibold took over from Maguire, Souths were well placed for a tilt at the title, they just needed a fresh perspective to awaken their potential. We didn't get a chance to see how Seibold planned on improving the side and outside of signing a natural fullback in Corey Allan the signs weren't great.

However, Brisbane were intent to move on from Bennett. They were convinced he wasn't going to take them to a premiership and instead of being patient, they ripped the chord out in a sloppy and messy fashion. They missed out on Bellamy, so they settled on Seibold and he found himself with a squad that had potential, but needed to make moves with their player roster.

Seibold has to put together a squad that suits his vision. From my vantage point, the first eight weeks at the club was treated like an experiment to see what he had to work with. This was not the 17 Bennett would have gone with, but it was the 17 you'd expect from the outside looking in. So far he's dropped Roberts and Nikorima and it shocked the club into action.

That was only going to get them so far, and there's clearly some issues that aren't going away.

First thing is first, he needs to change the way they approach their footy. Really basic but effective football, with the forwards looking to build a platform and the halves spreading the football for the backs to work off of. It may get ugly at times, but they need to trust the system more and stop forcing passes and plays.

Get them working as a unit again and look to rebuild the team piece by piece. I don't think it would be wise to pull a Bulldogs or a Newcastle and sack half the team. However, he could save himself a lot of time by building a strong 30 man roster and giving himself some depth. There are some names in the Broncos squad we'll never see in first grade. They need to be moved on and others have to have the line drawn in the sand for them.

I need to see vision and something beyond signing Kennar, Fensom and Segeyaro.

renouf

Juniors
Meanwhile Parramatta think they've won the grand final, they flogged a piss poor team, they won't beat the other sides though

ram raid

Bench
They just seem to lack a leader. When things get tense they're looking for somebody to follow but there's nobody there. I don't know how they're going to do it, but the broncs need to develop some alpha as f**k man among men who can boss the other players around like bitches they want to be.

Latest posts