What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Gronk

Staff member
Do the Chinese, Indians and Americans give a shit about any Paris Agreement targets?

What is the point of the Paris Agreement target?

What are the repercussions if you don't meet the targets?

It’s all about living by your values and not by the values of others.

Not meeting Paris targets is well documented. There was consensus between all the participating countries that ...

Long-term temperature goal (Art. 2) – The Paris Agreement, in seeking to strengthen the global response to climate change, reaffirms the goal of limiting global temperature increase to well below 2 degrees Celsius, while pursuing efforts to limit the increase to 1.5 degrees.

Chipmunk

Coach
It’s all about living by your values and not by the values of others.

Not meeting Paris targets is well documented. There was consensus between all the participating countries that ...

Long-term temperature goal (Art. 2) – The Paris Agreement, in seeking to strengthen the global response to climate change, reaffirms the goal of limiting global temperature increase to well below 2 degrees Celsius, while pursuing efforts to limit the increase to 1.5 degrees.

I mean what are the repercussions for an actual country if they don't achieve their targets and everyone else does?

In fact, lets be more hypothetically specific, what are the repercussions for China if every single country in the world still met their targets but they didn't?

And, further more, would those repercussions for China be exactly the same if no other countries met targets?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Agreed that realistically we will still be supplying coal whilst the world is transitioning away from it. No brainer.

Just be honest with everyone. We are struggling to meet our Paris Agreement targets because of our energy mix and energy policy.

Provide a clear energy plan to the market.

Be transparent about subsidies to all sectors.

Just be honest. If your government believes that our roll in global co2 reductions is infinitesimal and that they need not be on board (Alan Jones’s recent rice analogy) to the extent that the major polluters are, then just say it.

View attachment 30332

Really tired of the spin.
If they didn't try and spin things, there would be plenty of clueless, idealistic simpletons ready to crucify them.

I can understand why they do it but agree that it gets a bit much.

Gronk

Staff member
The departing UK conservative PM is drawing up a climate change legacy. How is it that conservatives in other parts of the world contend that it doesn’t exist ? I guess those Brits are leftards. :grimacing:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
The departing UK conservative PM is drawing up a climate change legacy. How is it that conservatives in other parts of the world contend that it doesn’t exist ? I guess those Brits are leftards. :grimacing:

We've been through this.

If the UK was home to an enormous portion of the world's resources they would likely think differently about climate change policy.

Gronk

Staff member
We've been through this.

If the UK was home to an enormous portion of the world's resources they would likely think differently about climate change policy.

You could look at it that way. Or you could say the country that lead the industrial revolution are now leading the way in responsible carbon emissions.

Facts are that they are and we are not.

Norway has significant oil reserves, yet are also aiming for zero.

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/norway-zero-carbon-emissions/

strider

Post Whore

Has she been banging on about it for a while or is this a new line from someone who's problem it wont be to make it happen?

Gronk

Staff member
Has she been banging on about it for a while or is this a new line from someone who's problem it wont be to make it happen?

It's not all that controversial in the UK because they approach climate change with bipartisan support.

It's hard to think of anything that happens in this country where both parties are on the same page.

strider

Post Whore
It's not all that controversial in the UK because they approach climate change with bipartisan support.

It's hard to think of anything that happens in this country where both parties are on the same page.
Dont get me wrong, i am all for adressing issues that make the world better/cleaner ... so good on her .... was just wondering if she suddenly grew a voice when it wasnt her problem anymore

In Australia, i think thats just the lame way our system has evolved ... one side says something and its seen as the other sides job to drag whatever they said through the mud regardless of reality

Gronk

Staff member
Dont get me wrong, i am all for adressing issues that make the world better/cleaner ... so good on her .... was just wondering if she suddenly grew a voice when it wasnt her problem anymore

In Australia, i think thats just the lame way our system has evolved ... one side says something and its seen as the other sides job to drag whatever they said through the mud regardless of reality

Or perhaps like Julia Gillard with the NDIS and Royal Commission into Institutional Sexual Assault, she wanted to leave a lasting legacy.

Yes a cynic could say that May is only doing this now because she finally grew some balls, however she has been a tad pre-occupied with the Brexit thing since 2015. If she tried to do this previously the merkins would have claimed that she is playing diversion because she can't swing a Brexit deal.

I'll say again that she will have bipartisan support on this, so she is hardly planting hand grenades for her successor.

strider

Post Whore
Or perhaps like Julia Gillard with the NDIS and Royal Commission into Institutional Sexual Assault, she wanted to leave a lasting legacy.

Yes a cynic could say that May is only doing this now because she finally grew some balls, however she has been a tad pre-occupied with the Brexit thing since 2015. If she tried to do this previously the merkins would have claimed that she is playing diversion because she can't swing a Brexit deal.

I'll say again that she will have bipartisan support on this, so she is hardly planting hand grenades for her successor.
Agree, she's been sabbotaged with brexit .... seems a clear case of making her fail to get power .... i admit i dont entirely understand their system, but i saw the other day there are now 10 merkins lining up for a shot at PM ... 10!!! .... we are lucky to get a couple of contenders here

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
You could look at it that way. Or you could say the country that lead the industrial revolution are now leading the way in responsible carbon emissions.

Facts are that they are and we are not.

Norway has significant oil reserves, yet are also aiming for zero.

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/norway-zero-carbon-emissions/
You could look at it that way. Or you could say that the states in Aus aren't waiting for the feds.

The 'rednecks' in my home state are at least two years ahead of the UK.

https://www.qld.gov.au/environment/climate/climate-change/transition

Granted though, it's a labour Govt.

Gronk

Staff member
Agree, she's been sabbotaged with brexit .... seems a clear case of making her fail to get power .... i admit i dont entirely understand their system, but i saw the other day there are now 10 merkins lining up for a shot at PM ... 10!!! .... we are lucky to get a couple of contenders here

Especially that Boris merkin. IIRC he was the Foreign Minister in charge of cutting a Brexit deal. Resigned when shit got too hard and is now campaigning for the top job because May was a Brexit failure. Surely the Brits can see through this.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
What makes you say that?

because the poms (and other Europeans countries) seem to have much more respect for the planet than other countries or continents so I dont believe its a given they will rape and pillage their own environment if it were rich in resources

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
because the poms (and other Europeans countries) seem to have much more respect for the planet than other countries or continents so I dont believe its a given they will rape and pillage their own environment if it were rich in resources
Fair enough.

It's an interesting question - are those European countries leading on renewable energy and carbon reduction because they want to or because they have to?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Fair enough.

It's an interesting question - are those European countries leading on renewable energy and carbon reduction because they want to or because they have to?

that I cant answer without google but there are Scandinavian countries that are 100% renewable, they are decades ahead of the rest of the world particularly China and the good ol' US of A

mind you they dont need a lot of air conditioning units