What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Suitman

Post Whore
Dogs to play all non-Sydney teams at Belmore, Sydney teams at Bankwest maybe?

Souths (10) + Eels (11) + Wests (4) + Bulldogs (7-10) + Waratahs (4) + Wanderers (?) + any rep games in all three codes. That’s a lot of strain on the turf over the winter.

Yep, the pitch will seriously need to be up to scratch for those seasons. Add in concerts, 9's events and other stuff, it's really going to get a workout.

flippikat

Bench
Sounds like an A-League team is essential for the Canberra stadium to go ahead.
FFS, Gallop, you've been f**king useless all your sports administration life. Please at least leave one lasting legacy......

I'm picking that Wellington Phoenix will be given the boot once their current temporary license expires, and Canberra will replace them.

That's probably one of the reasons why FFA are taking their time over handing ownership of the A-league to the clubs - they want to make that last tweak to the current footprint before relinquishing control to the clubs.

Last edited:

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I don’t want to be too pessimistic. But IMO bringing level 6 of ANZ closer to the field would probably be as successful as buying a dick enlarger off a pop up ad...

beave

Coach
Actual quote from their CEO in the article I linked: "Considering the arrangements the current tenants of the Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust have, we do not believe that more NRL matches at the SCG is good for the Rabbitohs or the sport."

Until the actual designs and specs are confirmed I'm not sure we can make such assumptions.

the article originally stated yesterday ‘refurbished into a 70k seater stadium’. It looks like the article has been edited somewhat overnight as it now says ‘transformed into a 70k stadium’. So take that as you will, i still think they are rolling with the half assed refurb option personally but I’m hopeful they knock the piece of shit down.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Dogs to play all non-Sydney teams at Belmore, Sydney teams at Bankwest maybe?

Souths (10) + Eels (11) + Wests (4) + Bulldogs (7-10) + Waratahs (4) + Wanderers (?) + any rep games in all three codes. That’s a lot of strain on the turf over the winter.
Souths 9, Bulldogs 9. WSW usually 11 or 12.

adamkungl

Immortal
Actual quote from their CEO in the article I linked: "Considering the arrangements the current tenants of the Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust have, we do not believe that more NRL matches at the SCG is good for the Rabbitohs or the sport."

There's a lot you could read into this statement.
I find it bewildering that the SCGT isn't interested in getting the Rabbitohs back to the South-East.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
There's a lot you could read into this statement.
I find it bewildering that the SCGT isn't interested in getting the Rabbitohs back to the South-East.
They're specifically ruling out using the SCG - I don't know that they're closed off to the idea of the SFS when it re-opens but I think they're fairly happy with ANZ

adamkungl

Immortal
They're specifically ruling out using the SCG - I don't know that they're closed off to the idea of the SFS when it re-opens but I think they're fairly happy with ANZ

The first half of the sentence makes it sounds like there's some issue with the Trust, but it was worded in such a way to leave it vague.
We know they felt they were getting a raw deal before - but that was almost 15 years ago.

The debate over where Souths should play has been done to death so I won't backtrack there, but I'd be shocked if from the Trust's point of view they don't at least try to lure them home. Would be a massive get for the new stadium.

Saint Doc

Coach
The first half of the sentence makes it sounds like there's some issue with the Trust, but it was worded in such a way to leave it vague.
We know they felt they were getting a raw deal before - but that was almost 15 years ago.

The debate over where Souths should play has been done to death so I won't backtrack there, but I'd be shocked if from the Trust's point of view they don't at least try to lure them home. Would be a massive get for the new stadium.

Aren’t Souths in the middle of a 25 year deal with ANZ?

Timbo

Staff member

Suitman

Post Whore
39321884520_6b9a4f4bcf_z.jpg

40419669544_e492563819_z.jpg

26259224717_e54daa1368_z.jpg

39321892140_d56942ddf4_z.jpg

Pommy

Coach
Souths 9? Perth, Cairns and where?

Also, that article in the Australian states that ANZ will be the 'biggest rectangular stadium in the Southern Hemisphere by capacity' when it is redeveloped into a 70,000 seater.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FNB_Stadium

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estádio_Nacional_Mané_Garrincha

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estadio_Monumental_"U"

Not exactly true.

No Perth or Cairns this year

Sunshine Coast, central coast and I think we were a home team at magic weekend.

carcharias

Immortal
From my members email
Bit hard to add a link

Introduction to Richard Munro

I am very excited to have commenced my role as the Group CEO of the Cronulla Sharks, with the reception I have received from members, staff and sponsors overwhelmingly positive.

I would like to thank the Board of the Sharks for entrusting me with the Group CEO position, which finally brings the Football operations and or Leagues Club together as one organisation and one team.

The NRL team is performing very well, currently in sixth place on the ladder and while the Raiders game this week will be a test I am very confident in our coach and players and that they can grind out a win in chilly Canberra tomorrow night.

One area very important to me in my new role is in making sure that our members are regularly informed about their club. I will be ensuring regular communication, so you are kept informed about our daily operations and promotions as well as our long-term strategy.

A critical area, one which is progressing as we speak and about which I would like to expand upon a little more, is the property development.

As you can see by the cranes and construction activity around Pointsbet Stadium, work is progressing on the Woolooware Bay project.

It is always a positive sign for the economy when construction is evident and we are busy working through our options for operating the club and the stadium during the next critical phase of the development.

You may read media speculation about the Sharks taking games away to alternate venues while the construction grows in intensity. I can express that this is one option among many being considered, but at the same time I stress no decision has yet been made.

The on-going viability of the club is paramount and I am extremely confident that we will find a solution that delivers a world class facility for the Sharks home base at Woolooware and one that is in the best long-term interests of our loyal members and fans.

The plans for the Leagues Club, a Centre of Excellence and ultimately a PointsBet Stadium upgrade are very exciting and while I concede it will be a challenging period during construction, the facility once completed will be of enormous benefit to the community and one I am sure we will all be proud of.

My commitment will be to keep you updated as we work through our many options and we will be scheduling member information sessions once we have more details at hand and can share the proposed development timings and properly communicate the management of the construction.

Thanks for your continued support of the Sharks and I look forward to keeping you up to date with future developments.

The Marshall

Juniors
From my members email
Bit hard to add a link

Introduction to Richard Munro

I am very excited to have commenced my role as the Group CEO of the Cronulla Sharks, with the reception I have received from members, staff and sponsors overwhelmingly positive.

I would like to thank the Board of the Sharks for entrusting me with the Group CEO position, which finally brings the Football operations and or Leagues Club together as one organisation and one team.

The NRL team is performing very well, currently in sixth place on the ladder and while the Raiders game this week will be a test I am very confident in our coach and players and that they can grind out a win in chilly Canberra tomorrow night.

One area very important to me in my new role is in making sure that our members are regularly informed about their club. I will be ensuring regular communication, so you are kept informed about our daily operations and promotions as well as our long-term strategy.

A critical area, one which is progressing as we speak and about which I would like to expand upon a little more, is the property development.

As you can see by the cranes and construction activity around Pointsbet Stadium, work is progressing on the Woolooware Bay project.

It is always a positive sign for the economy when construction is evident and we are busy working through our options for operating the club and the stadium during the next critical phase of the development.

You may read media speculation about the Sharks taking games away to alternate venues while the construction grows in intensity. I can express that this is one option among many being considered, but at the same time I stress no decision has yet been made.

The on-going viability of the club is paramount and I am extremely confident that we will find a solution that delivers a world class facility for the Sharks home base at Woolooware and one that is in the best long-term interests of our loyal members and fans.

The plans for the Leagues Club, a Centre of Excellence and ultimately a PointsBet Stadium upgrade are very exciting and while I concede it will be a challenging period during construction, the facility once completed will be of enormous benefit to the community and one I am sure we will all be proud of.

My commitment will be to keep you updated as we work through our many options and we will be scheduling member information sessions once we have more details at hand and can share the proposed development timings and properly communicate the management of the construction.

Thanks for your continued support of the Sharks and I look forward to keeping you up to date with future developments.
Have they released any plans on the what the Leagues Club will look like? Surely they should take the opportunity to give a bit more room on that eastern side and build a proper stand instead of just tacking on a few seats on the back of the Leagues Club.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Re: the GF venues for 2020 & 2021

I can see why the games are at the SCG, it was clearly part of the deal that in exchance for three stadiums, the NRL would keep the GF in Sydney.

I can't help but think that not only a Brisbane GF but a Melbourne GF would be massive for RL. Imagine filling the MCG (which it would) for a RL GF. Yes, the viewing would be shit but what an occasion for the game and what publicity it would bring in AFL heart-land.

Timbo

Staff member
I'm not too sure if the grand final in Melbourne would be the event for Melbourne that has been mooted.

It'd be eight days after the AFL grand final, where they'll have done their parades and their weekend and the whole thing. Especially if it was two huge Melbourne sides in it - say, Collingwood and Essendon - then I really don't think too many Melbournians would get hyped up for the NRL grand final.