What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billions

shiznit

Coach
images

anyone seen this show??

I only just heard about it the other day and started binge watching it...

I'm 7 episodes in... I can't believe I didn't hear about it sooner...

f**king LOVE it!!

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
This is probably one of the best shows I have ever watched. The way it grew on me is insane. Like I'm borderline missing my stop on the train home, I'm that into EVERY episode. I'm in the middle of season 3.

Damian Lewis (Bobby Axelrod) and Maggie Siff (Wendy) are great BUT the real MVP is Paul Giamatti (Chuck). That dude is so good in this show its ridiculous. Great acting.

Like you @shiznit , Im amazed I didnt hear about it sooner.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Agreed it’s one of the best shows around, the two leads are brilliant. Set up nicely for season 5 as well.

bileduct

Coach
I watched the pilot and this honestly comes across like a contrived and over-produced pseudo-drama.

I only just finished all five seasons of The Wire recently, so perhaps I set the bar a little high, but... meh. There wasn't enough to grab me in order to continue watching it.

Matua

Bench
I watched the pilot and this honestly comes across like a contrived and over-produced pseudo-drama.

I only just finished all five seasons of The Wire recently, so perhaps I set the bar a little high, but... meh. There wasn't enough to grab me in order to continue watching it.
You can't watch a show like Billions with The Wire in your head recently. They're two different things - Billions is just pulp entertainment, but done well and it's generally bonkers and fun. You don't watch it for anything more than that.

Parra

Referee
I'm only up to season 3. Enjoying it. I can't think of a show that has more references to other great movies and series. Love all the cross references.

Parra

Referee

That is a high bar. Only a few get over it in my view.

Parra

Referee
What other shows would you say get over that bar?

It was one of the best shows I've ever seen, and I was 15 years late to the party.

The Sopranos
Band of Brothers

I loved Boys from the Blackstuff, but it doesn't seem to register.

Then it's hard to work out any ranking.

Better Call Saul
Mad Men
Breaking Bad (watch this before better call saul)

Sopranos head and shoulders above the others.

Parra

Referee

It was one of the best shows I've ever seen, and I was 15 years late to the party.

I was late to The Wire as well, by about 10 years. Loved it. Nothing else has captured the detail they did. Really is a season and a series rather than stand alone episodes.

Matua

Bench

Sopranos and Band of Brothers sit on an equal footing for me with The Wire.

The only recent show that comes close is The Americans - I'll need a re-watch in a couple of years first though before I confirm it as on the same level.

I have a bunch of shows in the rung below (excluding sitcoms etc), but only just - like The West Wing, Mad Man, Generation Kill, The Shield, Firefly, Halt and Catch Fire etc.

I'm not a huge Breaking Bad fan, it doesn't even make my top 20 and the stuff people rave about like the accelerating final season spinning out of control was done earlier and IMHO better by The Shield.

As I said, you can't watch Billions with The Wire in your brain.

Parra

Referee
One of the things I enjoy watching Billions is the constant references to other TV shows and movies. Whether it is homage with a line or phrase or a character directly making reference.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
anyone watched season 5 yet?

I haven't so no spoilers please, but does it have the same quality as previous seasons?