What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

17th TEAM

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...JACXExfm7GDe_l4xUMu9IBXV_f0HCRykW-Qjw7XA2UmGc

ARL Commission chairman Peter Beattie has ramped-up plans to expand the NRL to 17 teams and include a second Brisbane team to challenge the mighty Broncos.

In a huge development for the code, Blindside can reveal Beattie has formally put expansion back on the agenda with the ARL Commission and the NRL’s most powerful decision-makers.

The ARLC chairman has approached broadcasters Channel 9 and Fox Sports to discuss adding a 17th team for the commencement of the NRL’s next TV rights deal in 2023.

Under Beattie’s plan, the new licence would go to a consortium in Brisbane ahead of Perth.

It is the most decisive strategic move yet by Beattie, who last year warned the code had to “expand or die” as the NRL comes under mounting pressure to reward Queensland fans by adding a fourth team in the Sunshine State.

Even Broncos chief executive Paul White recently conceded that Brisbane was ready for a second NRL licence.

At the end of the season, NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg will table a comprehensive report to the ARL Commission outlining his vision for the code, its challenges and its future footprint.

Now Beattie is on the front foot with his proactive and commendable strategy to have a southeast Queensland rival to the Broncos in the NRL in 2023.

For the past five years, the NRL has flirted with the notion of expansion without formally committing to granting new licences.

In recent times, the Brisbane Bombers, Central Queensland and the western corridor Ipswich bid teams have spent millions collectively in their desire to clinch an NRL licence.

In March, The Courier-Mail revealed Redcliffe was the frontrunner to clinch the NRL’s next licence, with Beattie determined for the code not to stagnate during his term as ARLC chairman.

f71c8b08d1560e7540bdac030323076c

Could the Brisbane Bombers finally enter the NRL? Picture by Liam Kidston.
“I am a strong supporter of expansion because I think the game has to expand,” Beattie recently told Blindside.

“Clearly Queensland needs another team, that is obvious.

“The challenge is how to manage that.

“The bottom line is Fox Sports and Nine aren’t running a charity, they have to work out how does extra teams bring in revenue and is it good for the broadcasters?

“None of this is easy. We don’t have a solution yet, but Todd (Greenberg) is working on one.”

Sydney-based clubs in particular are likely to oppose any moves for a 17th team. The NRL gives each club a $13 million grant annually and a second Brisbane team would mean a further outlay of funds from the governing body from its TV rights coffers.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What a load of nonsense.
1. Beattie wouldnt be going to the media companies this far out
2. They aren’t going to do anything until the expansion report is tabled
3. One extra team adds no new content value so what exactly is he supposed to be asking the media companies for?

SBD82

Coach
Seems an astute move. Judging by the talent and population, surely Brisbane could handle a second team.

I don’t know much about the setup in Brisbane. Is there a growth area that could be capitalised on that’s similar to the growth of western Sydney? A silver spoon vs working class mentality?

King hit

Coach
A second Brisbane franchise is a good move. NRL footy in Brisbane just about every week and give even more home opportunities for aspiring local players

As long as it’s not that Bombers bid

Knight76

Juniors
Wouldn't broadcasters be more interested in unlocking a new market, rather than sticking a team in a city that already has an NRL team and therefore, is pulling TV viewers in that region.

Perth seems most logical place to locate one. I live on the Central Coast which was previously touted as a possible future expansion location and honestly don't think many here give a stuff if there is an NRL team here or not.

some11

Referee
With the amount of shit teams in the NRL already I'm not sure if there's enough talent to sustain this club.

It'd be Titans Mk II and the NRL doesn't give new clubs a leg up like the AFL does. If they come in it can't be the plastic bombers bid - there's no community engagement.

Valheru

Coach
PR actually makes a valid point in terms of what value a 2nd Brisbane team (on their own) would actually bring to the broadcasters.

There would be no additional games or TV slots. I guess they could expect overall viewership in Brisbane to increase but I can't imagine that would entice them to put more money up.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
With the amount of shit teams in the NRL already I'm not sure if there's enough talent to sustain this club.

It'd be Titans Mk II and the NRL doesn't give new clubs a leg up like the AFL does. If they come in it can't be the plastic bombers bid - there's no community engagement.
Crazy concept. Clubs can suck without there being a 'lack of talent'. Sometimes clubs fail just because the people running them suck.

DeeJ

Bench
I don’t know much about the setup in Brisbane. Is there a growth area that could be capitalised on that’s similar to the growth of western Sydney? A silver spoon vs working class mentality?

Maybe if they go out west to Ipswich or south around Logan. There's already fan bases, clubs and football structures in those areas as well.

It would give them their own identity as well, rather than being a second Brisbane.