What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

Crowe

Juniors
This gagai thing hasnt finished, harsh words were spoken this morning, he has been told there is no way he will be released before june 30, and to keep his mouth shut, if he dosent change his mind he will be released end of season

I’m not sure why this is still a story?
The whole rumour was started over at Sporting News and then Kent decided to run with it.
Gags has told his teammates and the coach he loves it here.
End of story.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/wayne-...e-season/1cf7f680-1eb2-49ef-8c5d-8ac70eee9ea4

I’ve had a chat with Dane. I said, ‘Mate, if you want to go, you can go at the end of the season’,” Bennett said.

“The bottom line is Dane tells me he doesn’t want to leave the club.

“He said, ‘Coach I don’t want to leave, I love it here’.

“I said, ‘That’s great ‘Gags’, you can stay, but you are going to have to play on the wing and if an opportunity comes up in the centres, I will put you there’.

“He said he was OK with that, he said he’s good mates with ‘Jimmy’ (Roberts) and has nothing against him and will make it work.

“I’m fine with that.

Dane is a wonderful player but I’ve told him I can’t play him in the centres and if he really wants to play in the centres, then he can go at the end of the season.

“He was adamant he wanted to stay.”

Bennett said Gagai is a highly valued player in his squad but can't see him moving in from the wing.

“I’m not pushing Dane out,” he said.

“I didn’t start this, I value him highly. He is a wonderful player, but in our squad he is best suited as a winger.”

It is really is a nothing story.

Spot On

Coach
Dane himself only needs to come out and say it is not true and he does not want to play centre. Tell the media he sees himself as a winger, that he wants to play on the wing and this 'story' goes away.

Otherwise it won't.

Bennett is halfway to winning this one ... he can't stomach paying a winger 700K, nor can the South's salary cap.

Gagai will have to take a pay cut at the end of his deal or look for a club desperate enough to pay overs for a centre that can't tackle.

Last edited:

Go Bunnies

Juniors
Dane himself only needs to come out and say it is not true and he does not want to play centre. Tell the media he sees himself as a winger, that he wants to play on the wing and this 'story' goes away.

Otherwise it won't.

Bennett is halfway to winning this one ... he can't stomach paying a winger 700K, nor can the South's salary cap.

Gagai will have to take a pay cut at the end of his deal or look for a club desperate enough to pay overs for a centre that can't tackle.
I agree - he will go at the end of the season - family haven’t really settled in here. There were rumblings about this prior to Roberts arrival. Media are using Roberts arrival to sensationalise the whole situation as he isn’t a media darling.

callmack1

Staff member
A few developments on the Gagai story,

‘No no no, that’s irrelevant’ - Paul Kent, James Hooper‘s tense NRL 360 exchange over Dane Gagai: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...i/news-story/1c050257eb8b98ad94d21d040ee01155

Bennett - Gagai can leave at end of season if he wants out of Bunnies: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/9d6d0021312f76e839b6d48e5d904572

‘What a joke’ - Paul Kent blasts South Sydney’s response to Gagai speculation: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/f719503b694817ad567ba0eff7deca4f

Gee, Paul Kent. Let it go would ya? The story seems dead in the water, Gags is happy here. To be honest, I'm not even sure why it still is a story.

handyman2190

Bench
After watching paul kent the last 3 days going on and on and on, i think he has an issue with souths.
Carrying on he and Ikin about, playing gagai out of position, is so hypocritical its not funny, players sign a contract and play wherever they bloody well are told to,like it or not prima donnas can go jump. I think this is a money issue,greed being front and centre,what a joke playing out of position, he says nothing when playing FB, what a joke.

250excf

Juniors
After watching paul kent the last 3 days going on and on and on, i think he has an issue with souths.
Carrying on he and Ikin about, playing gagai out of position, is so hypocritical its not funny, players sign a contract and play wherever they bloody well are told to,like it or not prima donnas can go jump. I think this is a money issue,greed being front and centre,what a joke playing out of position, he says nothing when playing FB, what a joke.
Paul Kent your a Nuffie always will be never played nobody gives a f@#$& what you think your nothing but an old shit stirrer who makes a living talking shit and hanging out of the NRL s ass like a will not pull ya head in moron nobody gives a dam about dribble from your mouth :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Travitoh

First Grade
A few developments on the Gagai story,

‘No no no, that’s irrelevant’ - Paul Kent, James Hooper‘s tense NRL 360 exchange over Dane Gagai: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...i/news-story/1c050257eb8b98ad94d21d040ee01155

Bennett - Gagai can leave at end of season if he wants out of Bunnies: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/9d6d0021312f76e839b6d48e5d904572

‘What a joke’ - Paul Kent blasts South Sydney’s response to Gagai speculation: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/f719503b694817ad567ba0eff7deca4f

Gee, Paul Kent. Let it go would ya? The story seems dead in the water, Gags is happy here. To be honest, I'm not even sure why it still is a story.

Paul Kent hates when his 'scoops' blow up in his face. He won't let it go because he believes that the media should be privy to all information that they want.

ThingFish

Juniors
Paul Kent hates when his 'scoops' blow up in his face. He won't let it go because he believes that the media should be privy to all information that they want.
I just got blocked by Dean Ritchie on Twitter because I commented on his “Bennett has no credibility” story where he basically says “no one believes you anymore Wayne”. I just pointed out the hypocrisy of him preaching about credibility :joy:

handyman2190

Bench
I would like to know what they expect, bennett, or any other coach to do, in this type of situation, blow your campaign out of the water? End your season prematurely? Upsetting all your players? They are self serving A holes who only care about their next back page , hooper at this point is the only 1 sticking up for us, all this mis reporting about playing him in the wrong position is total BS, a player plays were he helps the team.

southsport

First Grade
I would like to know what they expect, bennett, or any other coach to do, in this type of situation, blow your campaign out of the water? End your season prematurely? Upsetting all your players? They are self serving A holes who only care about their next back page , hooper at this point is the only 1 sticking up for us, all this mis reporting about playing him in the wrong position is total BS, a player plays were he helps the team.
Exactly, just a big beat up by the journos, Gags knew before the season kicked off that he would be playing wing outside of Inglis, now Roberts has arrived and he will be playing where Wayne told him he would be playing, so where's the story?...........Kent in particular has issues with Souths and Wayne.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I bet Gagai has probably told somebody that he sees himself as a centre in the long term. It's been slipped to the media and been taken way out of context. Feel sorry for Gagai he seems to copping a lot of shit for it. As long as he wins a premiership with us he can do whatever he likes after that. Don't blame him.

southsport

First Grade
I bet Gagai has probably told somebody that he sees himself as a centre in the long term. It's been slipped to the media and been taken way out of context. Feel sorry for Gagai he seems to copping a lot of shit for it. As long as he wins a premiership with us he can do whatever he likes after that. Don't blame him.
Souths players need to be careful, we have quite a few enemies in the media and they'll take every opportunity to disrupt our season.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Souths players need to be careful, we have quite a few enemies in the media and they'll take every opportunity to disrupt our season.

Spot on. I mean it's hard when youve got friends outside of footy too. I just hope the hate doesn't affect Gagai too much. He is unfortunately our scapegoat now Turner is playing well.

Crowe

Juniors
I don’t know what the big fuss is.
In the modern game wingers are more important to a team than centres, especially right centres as players struggles to pass left to right.
That’s why the majority of tries in the NRL are scored on the left.
Gags can get more involved by playing wing.