What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
the original agreement between the NRL and NSW gov for the continuation of 20 odd years of GF’s in Sydney included a full knock down and re-build of Allianz AND ANZ. It also never mentioned the SCG hosting the GF’s during the rebuild period. The goal posts were then moved deluxe by the NSW gov and the NRL just bent over and took it.
I've not seen this. Link?

the original agreement between the NRL and NSW gov for the continuation of 20 odd years of GF’s in Sydney included a full knock down and re-build of Allianz AND ANZ. It also never mentioned the SCG hosting the GF’s during the rebuild period. The goal posts were then moved deluxe by the NSW gov and the NRL just bent over and took it.

The agreement was to keep the NRL Grand Final in Sydney. Whether this included during the rebuilds we actually do not know as the terms of the agreement have never been made public.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Reading that article I'm trying to figure out what would've changed. There's a direct quote in there suggesting the agreement to hold the GF in Sydney for at least 25 years would still be met, doesn't say which ground.

beave

Coach
That is a press article. It is not the text of the agreement between the NRL and the NSW Government. My point still stands.

so the CEO comes out publicly and says he will still honour his part of the agreement even though the NSW gov has now come out and changed their end. What more do you want, the video recording of the original meeting? FMD mate.

so the CEO comes out publicly and says he will still honour his part of the agreement even though the NSW gov has now come out and changed their end. What more do you want, the video recording of the original meeting? FMD mate.

No, the text of the agreement which is what I stated, or do you not comprehend written English?

Timbo

Staff member
The atmosphere in the SCG is pretty good when it's full. 99.9% of people are watching on TV. The NSW government coughed up over $2 billion for three stadiums. These are just the facts of the matter, and the game will just have to be played at the ground that's already hosted 50 GF's in the past.

Pommy

Coach
The SCG will be shit but the NRL in my opinion owe loyalty to the NSW government after the campaign they ran and the backlash they wore for building new stadiums for the NRL.
I can understand that Queenslanders don’t like it but that’s just unfortunate.

The NRL could’ve absolutely held a tougher line.

Don’t forget that the NSW govt first promised ANZ would be done first

They then reneged on that

Then they promised ANZ would be completely rebuilt

They then reneged out that

At that point it would’ve been entirely reasonable for the NRL to retain control of the grand finals when the stadiums are being rebuilt.

Quicksilver

Bench
how does that improve the view at the ground? Definitely a stay at home or pub GF. at least they don't have to give away an extra 30k tickets

Jesus Christ.

It’s a little bit far from the action but it’s not terrible. It’s probably not even as bad as the worst seats at Homebush at the moment. The place was able to hold grand finals for 70-80 years or something with far worse facilities.

If you’re using that as an out you were never going anyway.

If my teams in it I’ll 100% be going and I know that we’ll bring an atmosphere.

unforgiven

Bench
At that point it would’ve been entirely reasonable for the NRL to retain control of the grand finals when the stadiums are being rebuilt.
And if the Government said they would not build the stadiums at all if the Gf is taken to Brisbane? They were taking an ass kicking over the rebuilds, it would have been an easy out for them!

And if the Government said they would not build the stadiums at all if the Gf is taken to Brisbane? They were taking an ass kicking over the rebuilds, it would have been an easy out for them!

NSW govt were too committed, they couldn’t break a multi billion dollar commitment over a couple of grand finals. It would’ve made their plan look extremely amateur, and called into question their other spending commitments.

But the NRL wouldn’t have expressly said they were taking the grand final to Brisbane. They would’ve been much more diplomatic.

NRL had leverage too. If the NSW govt cancelled stadiums over a couple of GF’s then they could’ve faced losing many more to Brisbane.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Qland Govt got magic weekend as compensation. Nsw Govt gets to keep gf’s, nrl gets some major stadium improvements in its key market, origin is on the road giving other cities chance to buy nrl big events. Normally I’m critical of most things nrlhq but they seem to have handled this very well and everyone is happy.

Latest posts