What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis

shinobi

Juniors
We are in trouble if NAS and RTS etc follow. Would be
Well I did not even know Marty had Samoan blood, thought he was a kiwi.

Who else could jump ship?

Pretty sure Shaun and Briton are kiwis only, just not sure anymore.

Kiwi is a nickname for people from NZ so he's still a Kiwi but he's also Samoan as that is his heritage.

If this is the way its going to go long term then I think the NZRL will have to have a look at how we put our own interests first.

If Tonga and Samoa are going to go down this path, then they need to stand on their own feet. We're not here to subsidise them at our own expense.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Kiwis is the official name of the team and Marty is not one anymore.

RTS and NAS have other heritage? Anyone else?

I do not profess to know.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
...I think the NZRL will have to have a look at how we put our own interests first...We're not here to subsidise them at our own expense.
How are we going to do that though?

Samoans and Tongans already have junior rep teams they can make here in NZ (e.g. Auckland Samoans). These teams are "gateway" teams to the Mate and Toa. Nothing against them by the way.

Obviously the only fix is - 'if you learn here, you HAVE to play for us'. That's not very kiwi like. Were not like that at all.

It's a tricky problem. Well to me anyway. Let's just hope the slide doesn't become an avalanche.

jaseg

Juniors
It's going to be interesting to see if theres any long term negative effects from this. In the short term, if the samoans defect as well, this will hurt NZ rugby league.

You'd have to think that the NZRL would be a little gun shy spending money developing Kiwi kids of pacific island heritage, at the very least youd think there would be a bias towards Maori and Pakeha kids.

It's not like the island teams are going to develop these kids in the island themselves (they dont have the money) so there might be some unintended consequences out of this.

France were dealing with this issue a few years back in soccer, with lots of kids with African heritage choosing to represent those nations after coming through the French system. There was some scandal (suggestions that they would do exactly what you mentioned above, but in a systematic way), but nothing - aside from team culture - ended up really changing, they came through a bad period and just won the last world cup.. with a team of mostly (17/23) African heritage players.

So it doesn't have to be a major long term issue, but is going to be a blow in the short term, obviously.

jaseg

Juniors

Probably more do than don't. NAS is triple eligible I believe - Samoa and Ireland.

WellsNZ

Juniors
Disappointing as a Kiwis fan obviously, but if the island countries are to get better this is what we need to happen.

That said, we now need to start instead getting towards the point where we get away from this swapping country stuff. Not use NZ and then jump to your island when you've pocketed plenty of money. Make your choice from the outset, if you want to play for Samoa feel free, but that's the only jersey you're wearing.

Put together a footy calander with a deent rep window (three weeks mid season sorta thing) and a solid post season window, and do away with tiers. If someone wishes to switch thats fine, but its a 2 year stand down period.

Matua

Bench
Shit, I never thought Taupau would leave as he's always been very pro Kiwi.

Things are a bit FUBAR now. As Mixmaster notes it's almost at the point where the Kiwis can't risk selecting a PI heritage player if they're just going to bugger off down the line.

Maybe it's time for one country for life.

shinobi

Juniors

Yes the name of the team and also the nickname for people from NZ. Otherwise why ask if SJ is a kiwi if he has played in the Kiwis previously.

Solomona, Tuivasa, Maumalo and Papali'i are samoan.

Benji, JWH, bromwich boys, JFH, luke, niko, hughes etc are Maori.

Then you have Manu, Tetevano, Marsters etc who are Cook island Maori.

Burns

First Grade
What’s the vibe like in NZ? Thought the game would have been selling better then it currently is.

Matua

Bench
What’s the vibe like in NZ? Thought the game would have been selling better then it currently is.
Everyone is waiting to see what the actual team is after all the Cook Islanders, Samoans and Laotians withdraw and who the clubs withdraw for long standing injuries amongst the remainder.

BLN2

Juniors
Hmm not good for the future of the Kiwis right now, basically can only trust players who aren't of PI heritage. And let's be honest, there are f*ck all statistically speaking. It's a double edged sword, I think we all want a stronger international scene. But when one of the only teams that can challenge the Kangaroos is decimated for the sake of it, it could actually harm the international game, especially where it is most popular, Australia. And New Zealand, obviously.

I guess at the end of the day, players can chose what they want dependent on the rules, and they clearly are allowed too. I'd only want proud Kiwis in my squad, and if they feel they are forced to play for us because of a contract they signed when they were 16, I'd rather they'd just bugger off.

In saying that I think the squad looks about right, no glaring weaknesses, SJ is probably going to be a bit light due to his game time, and not sure why you wouldn't have Nikorima on the bench.

Matua

Bench
Hmm not good for the future of the Kiwis right now, basically can only trust players who aren't of PI heritage. And let's be honest, there are f*ck all statistically speaking. It's a double edged sword, I think we all want a stronger international scene. But when one of the only teams that can challenge the Kangaroos is decimated for the sake of it, it could actually harm the international game, especially where it is most popular, Australia. And New Zealand, obviously.

I guess at the end of the day, players can chose what they want dependent on the rules, and they clearly are allowed too. I'd only want proud Kiwis in my squad, and if they feel they are forced to play for us because of a contract they signed when they were 16, I'd rather they'd just bugger off.

In saying that I think the squad looks about right, no glaring weaknesses, SJ is probably going to be a bit light due to his game time, and not sure why you wouldn't have Nikorima on the bench.
Nikorima is injured. Not sure if that's real injured or club enforced injured.

Agree with your post, there's a bunch of fans on this place thinking it's a good thing despite the fact it's messing with league's 3rd biggest market.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade

Sure I read somewhere Nikorima made himself unavailable because he is moving house

Sure I read somewhere Nikorima made himself unavailable because he is moving house
Surely he has the money to pay someone to do that.
Hopefully legit niggle, otherwise passing up a Kiwi Jersey to setup his house, he shouldn't be picked again.

Edit: just read article, his family wont move over still stuff setup and it stuck in customs.

Last edited:

TheDMC

Bench
That said, we now need to start instead getting towards the point where we get away from this swapping country stuff. Not use NZ and then jump to your island when you've pocketed plenty of money. Make your choice from the outset, if you want to play for Samoa feel free, but that's the only jersey you're wearing.

Yes this is now unfair. Swapping countries was fine when the island heritage players changed to the kiwis as they entered their international footy prime and then back to the island teams when they reached their past by date.

Matua

Bench
Yes this is now unfair. Swapping countries was fine when the island heritage players changed to the kiwis as they entered their international footy prime and then back to the island teams when they reached their past by date.
It's not fine either way without decent guidelines, I don't care who a player represents but it's all gotten stupidly messy. If Taumalolo wanted to represent Tonga all well and good, but there should be a process better than change his mind a few days after the team is named.