What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad succession

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
FFS!

* = player option

Utility: Gutherson, Salmon, Smith, Takairangi (30)
Fullback: French (23)
W/C: Dunster (20), Ferguson, Hoffman (31), G.Jennings, M.Jennings (31), Leleisiuao (22), Parry (20), Sivo
Half: D.Brown, Moses
Hooker: Mahoney, McIlwrick (28)
Edge forward: Davey (28), Fainga'a (21), Gower (34), Lane, Ma'u (31), Moeroa (24), Niukore
Tight forward: Alvaro, N.Brown, Evans, Kaufusi, Mannah (31), Paulo, Stone (22), Terepo, Utoikamanu (19)

Utility: Gutherson, Salmon (21), Smith (28)
Fullback: -
W/C: Ferguson, G. Jennings (27), Sivo (27)
Half: D.Brown (20), Moses
Hooker: Mahoney (22)
Edge forward: Lane (26), Niukore (24)
Tight forward: Alvaro (27)*, N.Brown, Evans (28), Kaufusi (21), Paulo, Terepo (29)

Utility: Gutherson
W/C: Ferguson (31)
Half: Moses
Hooker: -
Edge forward: -
Tight forward: Brown (28)*, Paulo

Utility: Gutherson (28)
W/C: -
Half: Moses (28)
Tight forward: Paulo (29)

So we (officially) have 16 merkins in next year's squad, 17 if Alvaro takes up his option.

That leaves 29 roster slots filled this year, 28 if Mannah also leaves. Interestingly, I'm pretty sure you have to have 30 by now. So we've either signed someone new or promoted internally.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I remember the announcement by his management, but there's been nothing by the club. No profile is here, despite more than 30 profiles (and therefore it must include some development contracts): https://www.parraeels.com.au/teams/

I believe it but I'm not going to post it here. Posting rumours could get Twizzle extradited to China.

Happy MEel

First Grade
FFS!

* = player option

Utility: Gutherson, Salmon, Smith, Takairangi (30)
Fullback: French (23)
W/C: Dunster (20), Ferguson, Hoffman (31), G.Jennings, M.Jennings (31), Leleisiuao (22), Parry (20), Sivo
Half: D.Brown, Moses
Hooker: Mahoney, McIlwrick (28)
Edge forward: Davey (28), Fainga'a (21), Gower (34), Lane, Ma'u (31), Moeroa (24), Niukore
Tight forward: Alvaro, N.Brown, Evans, Kaufusi, Mannah (31), Paulo, Stone (22), Terepo, Utoikamanu (19)

Utility: Gutherson, Salmon (21), Smith (28)
W/C: Ferguson, G. Jennings (27), Sivo (27)
Half: D.Brown (20), Moses
Hooker: Mahoney (22)
Edge forward: Lane (26), Niukore (24)
Tight forward: Alvaro (27)*, N.Brown, Evans (28), Kaufusi (21), Paulo, Terepo (29)

Utility: Gutherson
W/C: Ferguson (31)
Half: Moses
Tight forward: Brown (28)*, Paulo

Utility: Gutherson (28)
W/C: -
Half: Moses (28)
Tight forward: Paulo (29)

So we (officially) have 16 merkins in next year's squad, 17 if Alvaro takes up his option.

That leaves 29 roster slots filled this year, 28 if Mannah also leaves. Interestingly, I'm pretty sure you have to have 30 by now. So we've either signed someone new or promoted internally.
I think the 30 roster spots need to be filled by the 30th June, so we still have a few weeks.

strider

Post Whore
So re: this june 30 bizzo ...

a) what happens if you dont sign 30?

b) is there any point promoting a dev player given they can apparently play after june 30 anyway? ... avoid a fine?

c) if you promote a dev player, you you hence have to increase their salary and that ends up on the cap?

Happy MEel

First Grade

b) is there any point promoting a dev player given they can apparently play after june 30 anyway? ... avoid a fine?

c) if you promote a dev player, you you hence have to increase their salary and that ends up on the cap?

a) I dare say they’ll make you promote one of your development or uncontracted players (which would be a wasted opportunity)

b) not really, unless you want to lock them in long term.

c) I wouldn’t have thought so after June 30

Noise

Coach

As I understand it:

a) You aren't salary cap compliant. I don't think this has ever happened. Maybe either a fine or loss of competition points

b) Nope no point unless you can't sign anyone externally, then you probably have to promote a development player to avoid the fine or loss of points mentioned in A

c) Yes, only if you promote a development player, which is why you are better off waiting until after june 30 when they can be picked anyway.

I'm not sure how it works, but Mannah would have been paid more than the annual minimum salary by now.

strider

Post Whore
I think they changed it so you pay the amount but you can always replace the roster spot.
yes this .... if 30 rostered players leave your squad, their salaries count but you can sign another 30 so long as their salaries also keep you under the cap ..... sounds like fun - we should try it

I remember the announcement by his management, but there's been nothing by the club. No profile is here, despite more than 30 profiles (and therefore it must include some development contracts): https://www.parraeels.com.au/teams/

I believe it but I'm not going to post it here. Posting rumours could get Twizzle extradited to China.
I asked a staff member at training the other day to confirm. I wont name them but Twizzle can confirm who they are from Beijing

on June 29 you would promote a development player to top 30 if you couldn't bring in someone new. Development players are on $60k max and minimum NRL is $72.5 for I think bottom 3 players. So if you needed to upgrade 2 players if would probably cost less than $100k. Take into account we have $500k to spend and Kaysa has just retired and Timmy is leaving apparently. So it shouldn't cost us the premiership. The team will do that

84 Baby

Referee
I reckon the actual rule is you have to have HAD 30 guys and paid them at least minimum wage at 30 June to pass the 30 at 30 rule. If you have less at the time or after, filling those spots is optional

strider

Post Whore
I reckon the actual rule is you have to have HAD 30 guys and paid them at least minimum wage at 30 June to pass the 30 at 30 rule. If you have less at the time or after, filling those spots is optional
agree - 30 merkins counting against your cap

strider

Post Whore
Next question ...

Is there a rule about rolling some left over cap space into the next season? (or something to that effect) ..... didn't the Knights do it at one point?

If so, we can roll some of our space from this year into 2020 I assume?

Noise

Coach
Next question ...

Is there a rule about rolling some left over cap space into the next season? (or something to that effect) ..... didn't the Knights do it at one point?

If so, we can roll some of our space from this year into 2020 I assume?

I didn’t think you could otherwise teams will basically forfeit one year (by playing well under the cap) to have a massive salary cap the next year.

Gronk

Staff member
I didn’t think you could otherwise teams will basically forfeit one year (by playing well under the cap) to have a massive salary cap the next year.

You mean how StKilda (?) did it the AFL so they could have first dibs at the draft ?

Noise

Coach
You mean how StKilda (?) did it the AFL so they could have first dibs at the draft ?

Every sport that has a draft tanks games. It’s ridiculous.

The NRL salary cap has its problems but at least their is no incentive to tank

Latest posts