What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

macnaz

Staff member
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/c23573433b2ce4f86b2754a504aee082

Wests Tigers set for roster refresh as Mannah arrives as Concord

The controversial signing of Parramatta veteran forward Tim Mannah by the Wests Tigers is set to trigger a radical player clean-out under new coach Michael Maguire.
Mannah’s arrival is expected to be announced by the Tigers today, but the 31-year-old’s signing will have massive implications for his new teammates, as Maguire wrestles with a salary cap nightmare at the joint venture club.
Maguire is desperate to cull big-name stars to regain control of the roster predominantly created by former coach Ivan Cleary.
Rumours of a move surround a host of players including Josh Reynolds, Elijah Taylor, Chris McQueen and even Moses Mbye.
But fresh reports have put front-rowers Russell Packer and Ben Matulino firmly on the chopping block, as well as winger Mahe Fonua.
The Daily Telegraph reports Packer has had a falling-out with coach Maguire.
Packer was not included in the Tigers’ squad to face North Queensland this Friday, which appears to be a clear indication that he could be forced out of the Concorde club.
Packer is contracted for another two full seasons on an estimated $650,000-per-year deal.
Fellow front-rower Ben Matulino is also rumoured to be in the firing line, but the New Zealand international last night told reporters that his position had been assured by the club.
Matulino said “He’s [Maguire] told the guys individually whether they are staying or not. But he’s told me I’m staying for two more years.”
Matulino’s hefty contract — worth approximately $700,000 a year — runs until the end of 2021.
He told media last night “When (rumours of an exit) first came out, I rang my manager asking ‘what is happening?’ and he goes ‘I haven’t heard anything from anyone’ and Madge said the same thing.
“Then my manager called me and he goes ‘I can guarantee you’re not leaving’ then I talked to Madge and he reassured the same thing.”
But the news isn’t as positive for fan favourite Mahe Fonua, who may have played his last game for the club.
Fonua — beloved for his rampaging runs down the wing as well as his wonderful hairstyles — has reportedly been told by Madge he won’t be re-signed for next year.
The 26-year old had surgery on Tuesday after suffering a foot injury against the Raiders last week, and is expected to be ruled out for at least 10 weeks.
That could rob fans of the chance to farewell the much-loved figure, who made 11 starts this season after joining the club in 2018.
While Eels veteran Tim Mannah has signed a deal with the Tigers for just the remaining four months of this season, sources claim the club is interested in extending that if his performances are up to scratch.
The 31-year-old was forced to play reserve grade at Parrammatta in his 11th season at the club, and had been told by the Eels they wouldn’t re-sign him for next season.
That made an immediate switch to the Tigers the only viable option for the 233-game player.
Add Marsters to the list please Madge! The guy is heading downhill quicker then a Mitchell Moses ski run.

Tiger05

First Grade
Add Marsters to the list please Madge! The guy is heading downhill quicker then a Mitchell Moses ski run.

This is one guy that we should consider letting go. He has very little upside to his game and heaps of mistakes.

The unknown

Juniors
To me it looks like Marsters is carrying a bit of extra weight, probably baby fat. Still only young so another pre season he might be fitter and more athletic with a strict routine

Last year he was close to being the best centre in the game so something is up

There is no way I'd extend Farah or Marshall. Minimum wage is about $87K I think. That's $174K we could be spending on finding the next kaylan ponga or semi radradra. They have been great players for the club. They will never be forgotten. It was great to bring them home for a well deserved farewell. Time is up though and we need to move on.

Really, matterson is the only player we have I'm completely satisfied with. If we're not looking to improve on every other player we have on the roster we're wasting our time.

Of course we've got f**k all money and cap room to really do anything about it for the next 2 years. Thanks Ivan you prick

There is no way I'd extend Farah or Marshall. Minimum wage is about $87K I think. That's $174K we could be spending on finding the next kaylan ponga or semi radradra. They have been great players for the club. They will never be forgotten. It was great to bring them home for a well deserved farewell. Time is up though and we need to move on.

Really, matterson is the only player we have I'm completely satisfied with. If we're not looking to improve on every other player we have on the roster we're wasting our time.

Of course we've got f**k all money and cap room to really do anything about it for the next 2 years. Thanks Ivan you prick
Well said, re Farah, Marshall, Ponga, Radradra & Matterson.
Besides Matterson there are a couple of forwards each game who show 'something' but on a scale and consistency, that 'something' is simply not enough. It has to be much more and every week.

Someone wrote that there's a 20 year old centre in Group 6. There's more than likely a fullback, centre, 5/8 & prop in every country NSW group as well as some guys over in the Midlands who needs some sun. They can't all want to go to Canberra !

WA Tiger

Bench
Which other club fan base would be happy with an aging hooker and half sticking around for another year when their best is well past them? Granted Farah and Marshall can still put in good performances, but Farah is starting to show his age now and Marshall is good to miss 6-8 games over the year.

This is why we are perennial underachievers. We're expecting pensioners to save the day, and what's more it seems a lot of the fan base are happy about that.
Well he saved the day yesterday. That was a tense as shit cauldron.

WA Tiger

Bench
Packer doesn’t want to hang around a disinterested Madge. Madge’s Chinese star sign is the tiger - seriously I checked. Tiger means fearless never give up and never back down. Packer will wish to depart.

tiger102

Juniors
Triple M interviewed brad Arthur this afternoon and he said mannah is now staying at the eels.

Seeing how we need a fullback and a prop. How about we trade Nofo for Nick Meaney ( dogs to pay all of Nofo contract) we save some money put that money towards an experienced prop (HermanEse'ese) would be my pick. A cheap pick would be Daniel Alvaro. I know that I dreaming.

Tiger05

First Grade

I hope everyone realises how delusional this post is. We aren't going to get the next Ponga or Radradra for minimum wage.

We have minimal cap space and we need to use it well. Getting solid players on a low income is a great option for us.

Latest posts