What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

“Great” Movies You Just Don’t Get...

Springs09

Juniors
I get you. While I think Kubrick is a great filmmaker, I've never been a huge fan of his movies, if that makes sense? My favourite is probably Paths of Glory closely followed by Dr Strangelove.

2001 is slow and not in a good way, yes it is influential, and yes I can see why some fans love it, but I was bored, bored in a way that the films it influenced don't bore me.

Another one for this list for me is Terence Malick's The Thin Red line. If you want to make a film about visual images then do that - don't take a narrative and then superimpose your other film on it rendering the narrative pointless. Pretentious bollocks. And it unleashed Adrien Brody on the world and he's crap. I'm in a bad mood now that I remembered this film and Brody.

Your loss

I think Watchmen was a great adaptation, very surprising it was from Snyder. I also liked Sin City and V for Vendetta.

There are a few good superhero movies, there's just so many now that they all blend in. From the MCU - Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy and Civil War are all good, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2, X2 and Into the Spider-Verse are all great, Days of Future Past is pretty good and Logan is great thematically without being great story-wise. Others are entertaining without really being good, such as Deadpool.

Others are overrated as f**k though, particularly Wonder Woman, Black Panther and the last few Avengers movies.

Yeah I can get behind V for Vendetta, I enjoyed the theme of the movie. V also acknowledges that he's only in it for revenge, the bringing down of the establishment for others to rebuild was just a by-product.

Springs09

Juniors
Why, I feel no loss, aside from the loss in time watching movies I don't enjoy.

Also, why do you seem to be taking this personally ;), the point of the thread is providing examples of films others find great that we don't.

So personally, cuts me to the bone

RedVDave

First Grade
Avatar: apart from being visually impressive this movie has nothing else going for it.

Top Gun: To me all this movie is welcome to the danger zone playing on a continuous loop, people flying planes & Maverick trying to get in some girls pants.

Kill Bill: Over the top violence dragged out for 2 movies.

I am sure most will probably disagree with me but honestly I just never understood the hype and love for these movies.

Parra

Referee
Avatar: apart from being visually impressive this movie has nothing else going for it.

Top Gun: To me all this movie is welcome to the danger zone playing on a continuous loop, people flying planes & Maverick trying to get in some girls pants.

I am sure most will probably disagree with me but honestly I just never understood the hype and love for these movies.

I'm with you when it comes to Avatar. No idea why it didn't tank. Has anyone rewatched it?

I get you. While I think Kubrick is a great filmmaker, I've never been a huge fan of his movies, if that makes sense? My favourite is probably Paths of Glory closely followed by Dr Strangelove.

2001 is slow and not in a good way, yes it is influential, and yes I can see why some fans love it, but I was bored, bored in a way that the films it influenced don't bore me.

Another one for this list for me is Terence Malick's The Thin Red line. If you want to make a film about visual images then do that - don't take a narrative and then superimpose your other film on it rendering the narrative pointless. Pretentious bollocks. And it unleashed Adrien Brody on the world and he's crap. I'm in a bad mood now that I remembered this film and Brody.

Whilst the visuals are excellent, for many people if you have not read the book then you have no idea what the story is about as, for mine, that is where the film falls down. If you see the sequel, 2010: The Year We Make Contact, which was made in 1984 by Peter Hyams, it avoids that issue and open up and helps people understand what 2001 was trying to tell storywise.

YoHadrian

Juniors

Top Gun is pure homoeroticism from beginning to end, I'm sure they made a never to be seen by the public X version.

Almost everything that has won best picture at the oscars for the last decade confuses me:

- Green Book
- The Shape of Water
- Moonlight
- Spotlight
- Birdman
- 12 years a slave
- Argo
- the Artist
- The Kings Speech

Seriously, is that the most underwhelming list of crap or what? I reckon there would be quite easily 200 movies from the same period that I would rate ahead of any of them.

Lucky to have seen 2 of them. American drivel

nöyd

Staff member
Anything with Adam Sandler or The Rock in it needs to be flushed down the turd dispenser
Somebody else finally said it. Anything with The Rock in it is f**king dross. Do people really want to see Fast and Furious part 9? How do these movies make so much money ffs

At the risk of his tidy bank balance, he really needs to do something with a little acting substance that does not include giant apes, natural disasters or fast cars. And stop doing f**king Jumanji movies. /rant

Somebody else finally said it. Anything with The Rock in it is f**king dross. Do people really want to see Fast and Furious part 9? How do these movies make so much money ffs

At the risk of his tidy bank balance, he really needs to do something with a little acting substance that does not include giant apes, natural disasters or fast cars. And stop doing f**king Jumanji movies. /rant

MV5BMTAzNDIyODYzMTJeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDA3NTA5NDE@._V1_.jpg

Wizardman

First Grade

Top Gun is very much an 80s movie which I love....one of those movies with little substance yet I find it very enjoyable. great soundtrack and some interesting characters....I like it a lot.

I adore Kill Bill....I look at both movies as one big movie.....love it.

Wizardman

First Grade

It is ironic that Jason Statham and The Rock are appearing in a movie together this year. Both actors are likeable and have charisma but sure have their share of misses. The Rock has not been in a good movie in many years while Statham is very hit and miss. Both need to choose better projects.

Wizardman

First Grade
f**k no. Great movie. Love the small town usa scenes. Meryl Streep was a standout performance in a movie that had several great performances.
I watched it again for the first time in about twenty years or so. It was as slow as I remembered it back then. If they made it today, a whole heap of footage would have been on the cutting room floor. The movie was in dire need of editing as a lot of the scenes were either too long, not adding a great deal to the story or not needed at all.

Great acting from Walken in particular.....but a verty, very average movie. 2 out of 5 for me.

mongoose

Coach
I wouldn't say I don't get Citizen Kane, but it's amazingly boring. It was made in the 40s though.

Latest posts