What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 14 vs Cowboys @ 1300SMILES Stadium

Who will win? Round 14: Cowboys v Wests Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

magpie4ever

First Grade
Aloiai and Mikaele were good. They got us going foward. Aloaia made some mistakes that were poor but we need forwards who can get us going forward.

Brooks, Marshall, Chee-Kam, Nofo, Liddle and Mbye were all good.

They need to learn how to stop the opposition making post contact metres - they are both terrible in allowing the player to gain an extra 10-15 metres.

Although 5 star tackle on Tautola (sic) late in the game by Aloiai.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Liddles break put us back in the game, he needs more game time. That and Lawrence’s run before the field goal were the plays of the game.

Overall terrible performance. The intent was much better but ball control and game management horrible. Take the 2 points and move on

The unknown

Juniors
Stryker would complain about winning a million dollars

Didn't get to watch the game but seems like we almost bottled it

magpie_man

Juniors
I went to bed at halftime (big day) but had a gnawing feeling that we'd blow it. And we nearly did.
A few points from the first half:
1. What the heck was Chee Kam thinking with that first try? If the Cowboys player had had a bit more awareness he could've easily stripped the ball from behind. He was very lucky there, moron.
2. Thompson was rocks and diamonds at the back; he had some great touches and that cover tackle on Javid Bowen was sublime but he was very unreliable under the highball. I think he's worth persisting with at fullback, he just needs to work on diffusing bombs.
3. Mbye played well at centre. He's not a tackle-breaking speed-machine, ala Lattrell Mitchell, but he adds a bit of skill and grey matter to the front line.
4. It always surprised me how quick Luke Brooks is. I know the left-side/righr-side structure of the game these days isn't really conducive to the running 5/8th but I can't help but feel he'd be better suited to having the #6 on his back.

Tigerm

First Grade
I think we mostly agree that we were never going to be a top 4 team this year, so our form slumps are a given unfortunately, but we are still hanging in there and back in the top 8, so while it was not our best game, and heart stopping victories are what we do. I know we will play better and lose games so a win is a win and I am enjoying the moment. Makes the weekend go easier:)
I do think Madge is the best thing to happen to us for a while.

Tiger05

First Grade
They need to learn how to stop the opposition making post contact metres - they are both terrible in allowing the player to gain an extra 10-15 metres.

Although 5 star tackle on Tautola (sic) late in the game by Aloiai.

Maybe they need to improve their defence but they both get us going forward. We got good field position by the players who can do that at the end of the game. Liddle, Aloiai and Mikaele all took it up the guts and got us a roll on. We can play off that. Nofo gets us going forward as well and he can score a try.

Aloiai made a couple of mistakes but that tackle was unreal.

All of our players have some flaws. Brooks should have hit that field goal. Thompson was all over the place at fullback. Marsters has dumb mistakes in him every game and he isn't a threat much anymore anyway. Robbie is slow. Benji still makes mistakes.

Matterson is about the only player with very few negative points in his game.

Tigerm

First Grade
Maybe they need to improve their defence but they both get us going forward. We got good field position by the players who can do that at the end of the game. Liddle, Aloiai and Mikaele all took it up the guts and got us a roll on. We can play off that. Nofo gets us going forward as well and he can score a try.

Aloiai made a couple of mistakes but that tackle was unreal.

All of our players have some flaws. Brooks should have hit that field goal. Thompson was all over the place at fullback. Marsters has dumb mistakes in him every game and he isn't a threat much anymore anyway. Robbie is slow. Benji still makes mistakes.

Matterson is about the only player with very few negative points in his game.
In the after match stuff on TV, Nofo walked pass, he is a beast, wouldn't mind seeing him in the forwards.

WA Tiger

Bench
Legs tackle, is the way to stop him - don't worry about his possible offlloads, you are not give up 20m of field postion by going high first up.
Don’t encourage him Das..re Mbye ...A legs tackle will stop the biggest player in their tracks see that tackle from Aloiai on Taumslolo. A beast of a tackle..A no excuse tackle. No time to think with the line virtually in reach Aloiai puts his head down where others fear to go and put his arms as best he can around the legs.And 9 timers out of ten the giants will fall. Just make sure your head misses the knees. Simple. Coming straight on drop your head down to their waste level and watch closely then just before the tackle drop your head to just beside their knees and wrap your arms around their legs tight as possible then move your whole body to the side and follow them to the ground on top of them coz they cant run anymore.You cannot get hurt and they will drop like a sack of spuds. This ones drilled into rugby union players and the smallest players can drop the biggest no problem. All the players made mistakes at times I’d have Thompson at fullback anytime . He is normally reliable at fullback under the high ball. For him it’s like the land of the giants with 3 forwards about to hit him when he’s catching the high ball. And it looked greasy. We can finally shut up about Mbye . He’s got an accurate pass. He’s got a step and he’s showing courage with that ball he knocked out of the cowboys hands. Nice. Nofo shit who else scores that try. Not many..I still think it’s a good strategy to bring on Liddle at the 60th minute when the rest are tired and Robbie gets to last longer through the season. Did Liddle get through that gap because he’s fast or because the others are slow? Him coming on late is a weapon.

Listening to the cowboys coach moan, whinge and complain about the officials and blame everybody else except himself really put the icing on the cake and cheered us all up.

He called upon the officials to explain the decisions to his players. I will save them the trouble:

“ ... shut up cowboys....you lost because you suck, now get over it.”

Does he really think his side is the only one who doesn’t get the best calls?

Did he think moaning on in a press conference was going to cause the nrl to change the result?

All it achieved was more self entitled selfishness and bullshit amongst their fans and stakeholders.

The game was there to win for the cowboys several times over. How many chances did they want?

They lost the game at the back end by poor coaching instructions, bad footballing decisions and less than satisfactory execution.

They lost the game because we have a better coach and our players, whatever their drawbacks and failings, stood up and took pride in that jersey.

It was win or die trying.

That is why the cowboys lost.

And when your player attempts to decapitate a bloke at the line, you as a coach, have to take some responsibility.

I can just see greenberger saying sorry and interrupting the press conference to change the 2 points over officially.

Whinging moof, your side is soft in the head because you keep buying 2 or 3 elite players and the rest are nuffies. No balance in nq side. Their recruiters are star struck bumpkin imbeciles.

You can explain that to them all on your own Mr Green.

Last edited:
Green is up there with Stuart, Bennett when it comes to whinging about refs

Starting to become f**king annoying

Yes, it’s never led to anything positive. Green should be reprimanded for his showmanship last night. Not because it hurt the nrl or undermined the officials, but because he refused to discuss the merits of an exciting game. He should incur a stupidity and annoyance tax, for wasting 5 minutes of our life putting up with his sour face and specious nonsensical parochial selfish criticisms.

Thus he needs a respectful yet well intended belting in social media for counselling purposes. For his own good.

Lawrence run at that line in gp ex time, brought a lump to the throat.

Green should have acknowledged that and his sides forgettable attempts to shut him down metres earlier.

Cows need an honesty session and it seems, a coach whisperer.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
Listening to the cowboys coach moan, whinge and complain about the officials and blame everybody else except himself really put the icing on the cake and cheered us all up.

He called upon the officials to explain the decisions to his players. I will save them the trouble:

“ ... shut up cowboys....you lost because you suck, now get over it.”

Does he really think his side is the only one who doesn’t get the best calls?

Did he think moaning on in a press conference was going to cause the nrl to change the result?

All it achieved was more self entitled selfishness and bullshit amongst their fans and stakeholders.

The game was there to win for the cowboys several times over. How many chances did they want?

They lost the game at the back end by poor coaching instructions, bad footballing decisions and less than satisfactory execution.

They lost the game because we have a better coach and our players, whatever their drawbacks and failings, stood up and took pride in that jersey.

It was win or die trying.

That is why the cowboys lost.

And when your player attempts to decapitate a bloke at the line, you as a coach, have to take some responsibility.

I can just see greenberger saying sorry and interrupting the press conference to change the 2 points over officially.

Whinging moof, your side is soft in the head because you keep buying 2 or 3 elite players and the rest are nuffies. No balance in nq side. Their recruiters are star struck bumpkin imbeciles.

You can explain that to them all on your own Mr Green.

I havent seen a replay of the matterson try, if esan got a hand to it we got one lucky

The penalty try was one of the more obvious ones. Mck got hit flush in the mouth and dropped it. I realised it got stripped but i have no doubt thr fact that he got whacked in the head helped the defender strip the ball. Either way esan dove on the stripped ball

Other calls went against us. When it was 20 all they called a knock on from Thompson who was facing his ingoal, clearly went backwards. Cowboys scored next set. The penalty to make it 26 all was the first time a flops been penalised in a decade.

The Cows lead by 4 with 3 minutes to go. We played the ball on tackle 3 on our 20m line. They just had to defend that set and they win, blaming the refs is a cop out from a coach under pressure

WA Tiger

Bench
Green is up there with Stuart, Bennett when it comes to whinging about refs

Starting to become f**king annoying
Green just about became more famous than Des Hassler for his angry rant at half time that could have pulled them back from 20-6 down...just about ....that’s what he’s pissed off about. He’d already spent the money before the game finished. He thought he had it won so did I. .

Latest posts