What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Crowd Watch

beave

Coach
That's not the debate though?

I think most of us agree with your point but it's not relevant. Friday 6pm happens in 22 of 25 rounds whether we like it or not.

So let me ask put it another way - which game from this round do you replace it with?

wonder if Raiders v Sharks would have drawn a better crowd in the earlier slot today? Weather would probably be a bit more favourable to bring the crowd in.

big hit!

Bench
Why that game? Hasn't drawn a sub-10k crowd at any venue in the NRL era.

good, so it should hold its own in the timeslot.

it may also not be so adversely affected by dew like it would at 8pm.

a few of these new stadiums built in Oz (eg Perth and now WSS) crap on about fan experience, roofs, seat pitch, etc, but the actual conditions of the surface (the thing we're all watching the product on) are shit!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
wonder if Raiders v Sharks would have drawn a better crowd in the earlier slot today? Weather would probably be a bit more favourable to bring the crowd in.
Possibly but then you could be potentially limiting away attendance - I imagine it'd be easier to get to Canberra for a 7:55pm kickoff than a 6pm one if you're coming from Sydney and, for example, got off work early. Not a huge reason but just trying to figure out the logic.
good, so it should hold its own in the timeslot.

it may also not be so adversely affected by dew like it would at 8pm.

a few of these new stadiums built in Oz (eg Perth and now WSS) crap on about fan experience, roofs, seat pitch, etc, but the actual conditions of the surface (the thing we're all watching the product on) are shit!
None of those, IMO, are convincing reasons to move Eels-Broncos to 6pm Fri and have Titans-Warriors as Sat 7:30.

Valheru

Coach
Disappointed in the Canberra crowd TBH. Yeah it was a cold Thursday night and it really limits the away team attendance, but it was a pretty big game for us and we don’t play at home again for over a month.

I thought 10k was not bad for a Thursday.
Was it colder than normal?
From what it looked like on tv it looked heaps less.

It wasn't even that cold. Nippy but nothing a good coat wouldn't mitigate

moffla

Bench
Just had a f**king mare getting to AAMI park. Train replacement busses on one of the lines - heap of storm fans started giving up and just went home. 30 min trip took nearly 1.5 hours.

Hopefully doesn’t hurt crowd too much

T-Boon

Coach
Disappointed in the Canberra crowd TBH. Yeah it was a cold Thursday night and it really limits the away team attendance, but it was a pretty big game for us and we don’t play at home again for over a month.

If clubs insist on the Thursday night games they should take them to the country towns. Play that in Goulburn.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Just had a f**king mare getting to AAMI park. Train replacement busses on one of the lines - heap of storm fans started giving up and just went home. 30 min trip took nearly 1.5 hours.

Hopefully doesn’t hurt crowd too much
That sucks. Where are you travelling from? I moved to Melb a few months ago (Williamstown) and have found it painful travelling to AAMI Park. Was considering going today.

Was always going to happen to me though, when in Brisbane I could see Suncorp from my front deck ha.

skeepe

Immortal
Were you there? Cause i was.
Yes. It was cold.

I was there. The time slot is just shit for families.

8pm on a school night? No. I usually take the family but couldn’t justify it for this one. It just finishes too late.

moffla

Bench
That sucks. Where are you travelling from? I moved to Melb a few months ago (Williamstown) and have found it painful travelling to AAMI Park. Was considering going today.

Was always going to happen to me though, when in Brisbane I could see Suncorp from my front deck ha.
Highett - usually station to station but was a mess today! Williamstown isn’t the best location for travel either

t-ba

Post Whore

Actual nice part of Melbourne.

Good call on that one.

Eelectrica

Referee
The 6 pm Friday time slot is a terrible one for crowds. Played on a Sunday afternoon, the Titans Warriors gsme gets almost double that and has done so in the past.

Suitman

Post Whore
Were you there? Cause i was.
Yes. It was cold.
Yes

It wasn't that cold

Silly argument.
Temp at 8.00 pm was 7.9 with an apparent temp of 3.9. Winds of 13 km/h
Temp at 9.30 pm was 5.0 deg's with an apparent temp of 1.7. Winds of 9 km/h.

What is cold for some isn't necessarily cold for others. To me, that would feel pretty cold, but we all know there have been plenty of colder nights than that for Raiders games.
As I said, it's a pointless argument because everyone will have a different opinion as to what is cold and what isn't. Also someone who is appropriately dressed may feel warmer that someone who isn't.
The whole discussion is very subjective.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDN60801/IDN60801.94926.shtml
Note: this page will update and the figures will be off the page in a few days.

Latest posts