What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Johns said he wants a 12 team NRL, well

hutch

First Grade
Manly are one of the better known clubs in the game. If Souths were deemed important enough to survive despite being a genuine basketcase at the time, there is no way that Manly should be culled.

No team should (or will) be culled, but manly are one of the smaller, localised Sydney teams.

You clearly live on the other side of the world and wouldn't have the first clue about Sydney.
I have got a clue, far more of a clue than you have about Wales. The away support you take to the SFS is embarrassing and generally, only 10% of any community is into sport. There are too many teams in and around Sydney.

firechild

First Grade
I have got a clue, far more of a clue than you have about Wales. The away support you take to the SFS is embarrassing and generally, only 10% of any community is into sport. There are too many teams in and around Sydney.
I couldn't care less about Wales and haven't pretended to be an expert on it.
The northern beaches is a big sporting area, it's just that there is a lot of people who follow sports other than rugby league. The away support at another ground means nothing. Away fans don't go to Brookvale either.
25% of Australia's population live in NSW, 20% in Sydney. 50% of the population live in regions that mostly support AFL. If there are too many teams in Sydney (and I would agree to a point), the numbers aren't too far off.

BadnMean

Juniors

This is obvious to anyone who lives outside Sydney- and secretly to anyone who DOES live in Sydney (who barely manage to support sport, per capita compared to every other capital city in Oz which actually turns out more). They just (understandably) don't want it to be THEIR beloved team who has to go for the good of the game.

Even though teams have folded in the past with the NRL going from strength to strength without them (Newtown, North Sydney off the top of my head).

BadnMean

Juniors
The northern beaches is a big sporting area, it's just that there is a lot of people who follow sports other than rugby league. The away support at another ground means nothing. Away fans don't go to Brookvale either.
25% of Australia's population live in NSW, 20% in Sydney. 50% of the population live in regions that mostly support AFL. If there are too many teams in Sydney (and I would agree to a point), the numbers aren't too far off.

Of NSW 8 Million, about about 5.5 million live in Sydney. (depends where you draw Penrith/Blue Mtns)

The rest of NSW are served by teams in Canberra, Newcastle & 0.5 of a team for the Illawarra region/Wollongong. So 2.5 teams

So 2.5 teams for the 3.5 Million outside Sydney... That left us with 5.5 in Sydney. Those 5.5 Mill in Sydney have Rooters, Sharks, Tigers, Manly, Souffs, Eels, Doggies, Panthers & 0.5 of St.Merge Illawarra. Or 8.5 teams

The numbers look off. A long way off. Brisbane has 2.5 million people & 1 team.

WA, SA, Tassie have no team.

The Qld population of 5 million have 3 teams. Sydney have 8.5 teams for that many & Qld is the MOST RL fanatical place there is in Oz...

The numbers are a long way off.

Granted it's easier to get around Melbourne. The northern beaches is not a natural home for any professional sports team, i'd guess there are less sports watchers in Warringah county as a % than many other parts of the world. Participants with a lot of choices yes...

firechild

First Grade
Granted it's easier to get around Melbourne. The northern beaches is not a natural home for any professional sports team, i'd guess there are less sports watchers in Warringah county as a % than many other parts of the world. Participants with a lot of choices yes...
Given that you call it a county I'll just accept that you know sfa and move on.

Travitoh

First Grade
Talk of Sydney having too many clubs and Queensland not enough but am i mistaken in thinking that Gold Coast would be closest to going under? Are NQ any stronger as a club than most, if not all Sydney clubs?
I'm all for expansion but robbing Sydney to pay Brisbane/Perth/Adelaide isn't the answer.

Perth Red

Post Whore
9 clubs for 5.5million in an apathetic city when it comes to attending sport isn’t working. It would seem the good people of Sydney aren’t that bothered about having nine nrl teams given the continued sub 14k crowds we are seeing. Manly are heading for the second year in a row of sub 10k crowd avg at home, others are barely cracking 12k, time for some change me thinks if the people dont want to support a club in their area.

Travitoh

First Grade
9 clubs for 5.5million in an apathetic city when it comes to attending sport isn’t working. It would seem the good people of Sydney aren’t that bothered about having nine nrl teams given the continued sub 14k crowds we are seeing. Manly are heading for the second year in a row of sub 10k crowd avg at home, others are barely cracking 12k, time for some change me thinks if the people dont want to support a club in their area.

If support is the basis for dumping a club, then i would assume Gold Coast goes before any Sydney club.

Actually, given the lsck of clubs on Manly's borders, there is plenty of potential for growth. Just give us some of the cash that's been thrown at just about every other club's home ground and things would improve.

Agree. Brookvale doesn't seem to be a facility that would encourage casual supporters to turn out in it's current state.

greenBV4

Bench
If support is the basis for dumping a club, then i would assume Gold Coast goes before any Sydney club.

The Titans are no shining light but Brookvale averages a fair bit worse than Robina, and the Titans don't have the disadvantage of having to justify being one of 8.5 teams in an oversaturated market.

Brookvale is currently sitting at avg 9,793 from 6 games which is a 13% improvement on last years total average
Robina is currently at 10,247 from 6 games, which is a 27% decrease.

I'd wager by the end of the year those 2 increases/decreased will level out a bit more and the gap between the 2 will grow.

Brookvale is also so far the 3rd worst attended stadium by average this year, only Tamworth and Mudgee are below them

Travitoh

First Grade
The Titans are no shining light but Brookvale averages a fair bit worse than Robina, and the Titans don't have the disadvantage of having to justify being one of 8.5 teams in an oversaturated market.

Brookvale is currently sitting at avg 9,793 from 6 games which is a 13% improvement on last years total average

I'd wager by the end of the year those 2 increases/decreased will level out a bit more and the gap between the 2 will grow.

Brookvale is also so far the 3rd worst attended stadium by average this year, only Tamworth and Mudgee are below them

Look at memberships though. Gold Coast run last and it's not even close. The least supported club in the comp. And as you state, they don't have the disadvantage of being one of 8.5 teams in the market.

Whino

Bench
Is this the same A Johns that said yesterday he didn't know where the Roosters points were going to come from against the Bulldogs?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Plus at their best so far in their 12 year history the Gold Coast were able to average 21,618 which shows the potential if they get their sh!t together.

Manly's best so far in their 72 year history is 18,471 in 1968 and they haven't really been close to that since the 70's other than 1999 when they averaged just shy of 18k.

I am not advocating for Manly to go but comparisons to the Gold Coast are not good ones as the GC clearly has a much higher ceiling for growth, is a one-team city, has a better stadium and gives the Queensland market a third team.

Is this the same A Johns that said yesterday he didn't know where the Roosters points were going to come from against the Bulldogs?
He's speaking to the casual watcher there, trying to make out that it's a 50/50 match. With Bracey on his vodcast he's speaking to the converted, so he can speak freely.

Latest posts