What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 - Rabbitohs vs Panthers: Saturday 15th June 5:30pm @ANZ Stadium

Travitoh

First Grade
Having some breakfast whilst listening on ABC radio in England. Come on Souths!

How i spent a lot of 2014 and 15.

Bit of a bludger so far. Amone seems smaller than i expected and looks reasonably quick across the turf.

Travitoh

First Grade
The Gagai/Roberts try was a fantastic sight to see!
55 minutes of this have been pretty poor but they seem to have switched on in the last 5-10

ThingFish

Juniors
I’m out at wedding, constantly checking my phone, What’s happened to Douehi? Stats have stopped at 54mins.

Travitoh

First Grade
Don't mean to sound like a dick but that was reserve grade standard played by reserve grade players.
We all knew that this period would be tough but margins of 12, 8 and 1 against finals contenders isn't worth getting upset about.
3 straight defeats but still top 4. The hard work to start the season is paying out.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Walker was a concern tonight.

Did not step up at all.

In fact lost the game with a horrendous field goal attempt in front and did nothing all game..

Travitoh

First Grade
Walker was a concern tonight.

Did not step up at all.

In fact lost the game with a horrendous field goal in front and did nothing all game..

Agree. He missed Reynolds a lot tonight. Did a couple of decent things but if our 7 is playing poorly, Cody will too.

callmack1

Staff member
Well, the game finished hours ago and I am still friggin wild!! How the hell did we lose that honestly?! Were in a really good position to win and then just completely lost it and let it slip. We didn't take our chances and just fell apart. It was a lack of ball control that did it. I mean, yes it was tough conditions but how friggin hard is it to hold a ball? I am still so angry as I feel we could have and should have won that game but really poor ball control let us down again. The refs were absolutely shocking too, I could probably count about five or six bullshit calls against us. Absolutely bullshit calls that were clearly wrong. Man I'm actually fuming!

In terms of attack, we were okay. I feel that the boys had no trouble rolling up field, the reserve grade forwards did a pretty good job in that regard and attacking the line we were okay. Obviously, the boys weren't super sharp and it still looked clunky at times but overall we were throwing some nice shapes at them but just couldn't ice it. The dropped balls seriously killed us, I think we completed under 70% again, and they came at crucial times. When we were on top after Gagai's try and in a good position to win, we go and turn the ball over again which just killed everything, turned the game and then Penrith run away with it. So friggin frustrating, it's not good enough boys!! I'm fuming!!

I do have to give a wrap to our defence though I must say. Due to our mistakes with the ball, we were forced to do a hell of a lot of defending and the boys did well considering. In general play the defence was aggressive as we were really up in their faces and the line speed was much improved. this meant we drove them back a lot. Defending the line we were decent too. Yes, penrith scored three tries and one but really, they should have scored more with the huge amount of possession they had but we were able to turn them away multiple times which was pleasing. I must say though, I was really disappointed with the way the lne speed dropped of at a crucial time. When the game was on, there was hardly any line speed at all!! That's not good enough.

Johnston: A successful return. Didn't get involved as much as I would have liked in attack but he still chimed in here and there for some nice touches. Enjoyed his kick returns and he pulled off some really great tackles at times when they were attacking the line.

Gagai: Gags was really good, probably his best ever game in the Red and Green. He just got through a hell of a lot of hit ups and most of them were quality as he made a lot of meters. He looked dangerous, had decent defence, tried his heart out and just played well. His try was beatufil to watch.

Turner: Didn't do anthing wrong. Kyle just got out there and did his job which is to make lenty of hit ups and defend well. I feel that he did that. However, I'm not sure why we kept attacking to the left and hitting Turner because of righ edge was looking lethal.

Roberts: One of our best tonight, he was that good. Looked super electric for most of the game and everytime he got the ball it looked like he'd create something. We saw that sheer brilliance to set up Gagai's try which was just lovely to watch, what an amazing piece of play. It wasn't only this but he was busy all night with great hit ups all night and he even defended great dipite the one misread on Kikau.

Graham: Wasn't bad. A little bit quiet but still had some really nice runs. Compared to last week he seemed to be more confident which showed in his kick returns and hit ups. He did have the one poor error towards the end of the game which pretty much killed any hope of a win so I was fuming at that.

Walker: Easily the worst game of his career so far. He was made captain, we needed him to stand up, he himself needed to stand up but it didn't happen. He just folded. His confidence looks absolutely shot which is very concerning considering how good he has been this year. It's almost like he did nothing right tonight, just poor choices in attack, didn't demand the footy enough and had a poor kicking game. Had the odd nice touch and kicks here and there but was otherwise really quite average which sucks. We need him firing.

Doueihi: Adam was fairly average too. It was clear to see that he was tasked with directing the team around and he just couldn't do it. Continually took bad options in attack with a few errors and/or hospital passes to other players which put them under huge pressure. Had almost know kicking game and he just seemed to run the ball and play a five eight's role rather then directing the side. I feel that Doueihi's performance is a big reason why we lost. Not to be too harsh on him, I just feel that if Reyno were playing and had taken controll, we win that and Cody wouldn't play anywhere near as bad.

Tatola: Junior needed to step up and he sure did tonight. Just such strong and aggressive running all game which was great to watch, he got through a fair amount of work too in increased minutes. I just really like his work tonight.

Cook: Cookie was okay. He was a little quiet I suppose but then again, it wasn't that kind of game where he can be free and just go so he wasn't as influential. Still, I feel that he did a great job of bringing the boys onto the ball, got though a heck of a lot of defence and put in some nice kicks.

Knight: Was pretty good. He went in the middle there and just did his job with hard running and solid defence which was good to see. Scored a nice forwards try too. I am just so pissed at him for making that fundamental error with around fifteen minutes to go. I believe that is what lost us the game in the end because we just lost all momentum and thus lost the game. I was fuming with that.

Sutton: Sutto was pretty decent I thought. He had a high work rate and was constantly using that left foot step to try and break the line. He did a better job than Doueihi to manage the game when he went into five-eigth.

Lowe: Was good. A good, heavily involved running game out on that right edge and even with defence rushing up on him, he was still able to make a good amount of meters. I also thought he did a pretty decent job of defending against Kikau and he shut him down a number of times.

Murray: Wasn't great. Probably the worst game of his career as he was ordinary. Compared to his lofty standards, he just didn't really do much apart from come up with errors. He did score that try through luck and determination to get there but he just didn't look all there today. That is no doubt because of the virus so I guess he has an excuse for playing poorly.

Kennedy: Rhys was okay. Didn't make a massive impact but had a few good runs. It was mainly his defence that impressed me. He got through a lot of tackles and nailed them all.

Nicholls: See above, a very similar game for both.

Britt: Dean was outstanding off the bench to the point where he was actually one of our best. Just his leg drive post contact was great and he went looking for the ball, thus, he was very busy all night. It was the best game I've seen Britt play.

Amone: Amone really impressed me. He's a big lad and he was able to carry opponents over the advantage line through pure strength and determination. It was a short but great display of power running. Congrats on the debut Tom, you have already proven you have what it takes.

All in all, I am not happy at all. We really should have won that. I feel Bennett needs to take some of the balme as it's poor coaching to keep the players attackin the left side all the time when Jimmy and Gags are waiting on the right. We saw what they could do with some early ball and it just didn't come their way which is ppor coaching.

To be honest, I am now very concerned. That loss has hit me hard and I feel shattered. This Origin period plus the injuries we have could stuff our Season. That's three losses in a row now. We're in a bit of a whole and need to climb out as soon as possible.