What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra v Drongoes post match discussion.

Bandwagon

Staff member
No merkin had much of a defensive workload tonight because we dominated possession. Although Mahoney seems to go just as hard every single week. The problem is when possession goes against us his mates get tired and let him get isolated more often. That usually leads to more misses from the little bloke.

Not his fault obviously. No team's hooker is their best middle defender, but they're all usually near the top of the tackle count. Ideally they aren't forced to make too many tackles one-on-one.

I thought that was where Brown made the biggest difference, leading the line speed with Mahoney and doing a fantastic job of ensuring Mahoney wasn't isolated. I think it reasonable to argue that's a decent contributor to why we dominated possession, because it meant that we dominated field position, which in turn means the possession we had wasn't all trying to barge out of our own 20 against a compressed defence.

Combine that with the fact we managed to hold onto the f**king ball for a change, and we could run their big men around by playing some footy.

But it all starts with that middle defence and line speed.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I could live with that as well. I reckon he is one of our top 17 players and his utility value means we should be able to accommodate him in the team each week.

It would also mean we would have decent halves cover in the event (heaven forbid) Drown’s back doesn’t hold up.

It's not just covering the halves, with a little shuffling he would offer cover for the entire back line, which is almost mandatory to have these days with the importance of the back three for meters and the prevalence of the head bin.

He's also big enough and defends well enough to cover second roe at a pinch, or rotate through for limited minutes if not required else where.

Gronk

Staff member
Darius is clearly a good player. When he chose to inject himself in the second half as the second 5/8 he was dangerous with a cutout pass or kick into the red zone. His heart is really not in it anymore however, as a leader and captain he was quiet and did little to motivate his troops. Needs to take a Gutho pill or retire.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Of course it made a difference but you’ve gone from singling out Smith as the reason we lost, to including Moeroa as reason too. Which is it, Happy MErkin!?!
I was replying to Pou who said it made no difference and how have I not included Tep?

Tonight came down to the team BA put on the park. It’s not f**king rocket science people. Get rid of the dead weight and put out a team with heart, talent and composure. This is the first team I’ve “liked the look of” because it consisted these three qualities.

...and then there’s this

0ABC1736-99FD-4F29-ACF4-BC50BACC659A.jpeg

Nice try though

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
is anyone else slightly pissed off at this result
where has that effort been hiding when we lost to panthers and sharks?
hopefully now we can get some consistency going and string some wins together
Consistency effects every team. The competition table is really a measure of consistency. BA finds himself in the same position as Madge, Ivan, Mary etc. trying to find fit players in their squads who can play to their potential every week.

TheParraboy

Staff member
What a great night for Parra, almost 17k there, thought it looked less than the Penrith match but anyway, still a poor showing I thought, understandable considering our form.

Our ball control and movement was unbelievable in the first half, how we rarely made an error is baffling. Our best half of footy by a long way. Not getting carried away, seen this song 4 times now at Bankwest Stadium. Acid test against Canberra in Darwin in a fortnight, then the bye, then tigers at Bankwest. No "home" game till july 27th now v Warriors. Hopefully we are well deep in the 8 by then

I see Siebold deflected the loss to many of his players head space being at the rep round next week, says that was the simple hard fact of it, lol. What was the excuse last week v Titans at Suncorp? Head space preparing for Parra???

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/15/seibold-their-heads-were-in-representative-camp/

Glenneel

Bench
Main difference last night was we held the ball early and actually used the fkn thing built pressure, got a couple of tries and when this team plays with confidence we are champion downhill skiers.

Opposite when we are on the back foot early we are champions of towel throwing in.

strider

Post Whore
I've got some parcels I will need picked up from Brisbane and dropped off so give me a weeks notice and keep the boot empty. Could be a beer and plate of wedges in it.
Thanks
Sounds awesome .... just dont ask whats in the parcels gary ... plausible deniability all the way

IFR33K

Coach
The most pleasing thing apart from the win, was that our ball movement looked so natural. In previous games we’ve looked a little clunky. Our side to side movement reminded me of the BS days. In particular the semi final where we ambushed the roosters.

strider

Post Whore
Our ball movement was effective cos all the merkins were moving without the ball ... the broncos had to make decisions - and tbh they have some dumb merkins, so made poor decisions .... no doubt you couldnt spread it like that against melbourne, but a bit of attitude and intensity goes a long way

Oh and holding on to the f**king ball