What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 14 vs Storm @ AAMI Park

Who will win? Round 14: Storm v Knights

• Melbourne Storm 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
We were poor and we got what we deserved yesterday.

Realistically though we were bound to have a game like that sooner or later. We had been in terrific form over the previous 6 weeks but we have played the 3 best sides back-to-back-to-back so it was bound to catch up with us both physically and mentally. At least we’ve got the bye round now which will give the boys another rest so hopefully we’re more switched on for our next game.

While our handling was awful I actually thought we defended really well in the first half. Melbourne were basically camped on our line for most of that time and we turned them away for most of it, one of those tries was from a kick though so they only breached our defensive line once. Even in the second half the floodgates didn’t open until we were down to 12 men so I don’t think we were necessarily that horrible in D.

We had our opportunities as well, Fitz should have scored but dropped the ball with the line wide open and Hunt dropped it over the line at the end, but unfortunately we barely spent any time on the Melbourne 20m zone because we couldn’t get the ball out of our own half most of the game.

I must say I’m a bit concerned with the form of Ramien. He seems to be defending well but he’s had feet for hands over the last 4-5 weeks. I know he wasn’t getting much ball early in the year but since Mann has been at 5/8 he’s been getting a decent amount and whenever he looks like he’s going to crack the defence open he drops the ball or has it stripped out. Maybe he needs to work on his carrying technique.

Also the officiating was really poor in this game and there seemed to be double standards at play all afternoon. Regardless I still think we would have lost but maybe by 12 points rather than 30. Here’s just a few of the really bad calls that stood out to me.

- I cannot believe that Melbourne didn’t have a player penalised and sent to the bin after Lee picked up that loose ball and ran 80m with it. He was tackled and was trying to play the ball but it took forever and almost the whole Melbourne defensive line was able to get set before we could pass the ball, then Munster was ruled offside anyway and wasn’t binned. Given they then binned Lee later on I thought that was really harsh.

- While I agree with Barnett being on report for that crusher tackle didn’t Cam Smith do one about 5 mins before that to DSaf and it was deemed ok?

- Just in general the refs allowed Melbourne to lay all over us in the ruck and slow the play down as much as possible. Let pulls, facials, hand on the ball you name it.

- We were also pinged for about 5 forward passes in this game and there was only one that I thought was actually forward while the rest were flat or 50/50 at worst. Melbourne threw several worse than that weren’t picked up. In fact the refs generally let those 50/50 ones go most of the time so felt very harsh that we kept getting hammered for them.

Overall we had a really off day and we payed the price. That being said Melbourne in Melbourne is the toughest road trip in the NRL and you have to play basically a perfect game to beat them down there. The boys need to learn from it and be better. Once Origin is done we need to be firing from all cylinders so hopefully we can get through the next few weeks with minimal injury disruptions and push towards the finals.

Burwood

Bench
Bit concerned that teams have worked out how to target Lee in defense. That’s a few games in a row now where he’s been caught out by putting in an early kick and he’s not quick enough to turn around and get back.

mozza91

Coach
5 dedicated paragraphs to the poor officiating?

Ramien’s pass to SKD late in the 1st half wasn’t forward. That’s about it.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
5 dedicated paragraphs to the poor officiating?

Ramien’s pass to SKD late in the 1st half wasn’t forward. That’s about it.

Not saying that we didn’t deserve to be penalised on a number of occasions but seemed like Melbourne were getting away with murder and weren’t penalised for the same things. Also from memory there was another pass from Hunt to Lee which definitely wasn’t forward.

Loose Cannon

Bench
I'd be more concerned about teams teeing off on pearce because we have a makeshift 5/8 that can be safely ignored
This will be interesting come selections when Levi is back.

Personally I’d rather Watson’s livewire game at 6, than Mann’s ability to offer a third string kicking alternative.

Watson asks questions of the defence, even without a clean ball playing game. Although I do think his time at Hooker has helped develop those skills somewhat.

Yosh

Coach
Mann needs to pass quicker to Ramien. Ramien was getting the ball a couple of seconds too late every time because Mann would run a couple of metres then give the ball when the opposition winger was already in Ramien's face. Just catch and pass from Mann to Ramien and we will see much more from him.

Old dog

Juniors
Wouldn’t count myself a Watson fan but he is certainly all hustle and bustle, when Levi is back I would have him at 9, Watson at 6 with Mann on bench. Think Mann is ok but not offering a lot of variety, good stop gap fill in were Watson offers zip and dash with lots of effort.

Knight Vision

First Grade
We had an off game no doubt. Hard to maintain intensity for 7 consecutive wins when we're a developing team of youngsters.

No intensity from the very start

Series of early penalties set the tone. We should expect more of the same when playing top sides. The refs conduct they dont ref.

Poor timing and handling

Pearce was injured - could see him trying to re-strap his right thigh at half time

Watson has the motor to be a good hooker just needs to work on his passing game

Chicken wing on Herman- no penalty

Crusher on Dsaf - no penalty

Barny is probably going to be suspended so should have knocked a few of Smiths teeth out and made it worthwhile. Smith is a smug prick.

newyboy

Juniors
Barnett facing 3-5 weeks.

I think he should not be paid for the period of his suspension. It was absolutely stupid thing to do, it was not part of the game plan or an accident.

If i'm driving my car for work and i get done for speeding and lose my licence. Should work continue to pay me or keep me employed?

Spot On

Coach
I think he should not be paid for the period of his suspension. It was absolutely stupid thing to do, it was not part of the game plan or an accident.

If i'm driving my car for work and i get done for speeding and lose my licence. Should work continue to pay me or keep me employed?

He'd been going so well too. No dumb shit for quite a while although he tried a few "big' hits last week and gave a dumb penalty away but on the whole he has been a different player to what we saw last year.

Knight Vision

First Grade

he gave as good as he got. He just needs to be smarter about how he does it. I've got no problem fighting fire with fire. Is it grubby ? you bet it is and I dont like that rubbish in the game. When in Rome .......play to win.

Old dog

Juniors
Just a thought on “crusher tackles”. Seems to becoming more prevalent than in the past and I am all for protecting players from serious injury but is it being overdone.
During some games we have hold ups while players are attended to for what seems less than serious crusher. Is it due to turning back whilst running into tackle or are some players, at the hint of a crusher, playing for a penalty. Mostly it occurs whilst tackled player is headed to the ground and tackler is pushing down or flopping, like to see it fixed but not sure penalties will do it.
Barnett deserved his 3 weeks

Latest posts