What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitch Moses

Chipmunk

Coach
I'd be shocked if Moses will in the next 5 years have the sufficient amount of composure required for a half for us to win the comp.

Djay

Juniors
I'd be shocked if Moses will in the next 5 years have the sufficient amount of composure required for a half for us to win the comp.
I tend to agree with this, his composure is one of his biggest downfalls because he clearly lacks it at times and tries to overplay it.

Hence why I think D Brown is so good and such a good foil for Moses, cause he has it in bucket loads and doesn't over play his hand, whilst also not being shy to try something different.

IFR33K

Coach
I tend to agree with this, his composure is one of his biggest downfalls because he clearly lacks it at times and tries to overplay it.

Hence why I think D Brown is so good and such a good foil for Moses, cause he has it in bucket loads and doesn't over play his hand, whilst also not being shy to try something different.

There’s been an enormous amount of pressure on Moses since Drown went down. Moses is still young and can be erratic but has plenty of upside to still be an excellent half

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Exactly. Do you really need two halves with high composure? Moses is top of the NRL in try assists right now. He is surely providing something we need. If there's something we need that he's not providing we can get it from somebody else.

Gronk

Staff member
There’s been an enormous amount of pressure on Moses since Drown went down. Moses is still young and can be erratic but has plenty of upside to still be an excellent half

He is amazingly fit right now and can play at high intensity for the whole 80mins.

He has improved his defence from being a speedhump to one of the better 7 defenders in the comp.

He is only 24 yet has played 120 games.

He is leading with TAs right now.

Players like Adam Reynolds and Mitchell Pearce are in their late 20s / early 30s and still struggle to put in a perfect game, yet are still in the origin mix.

Moses won’t be an immortal, but I reckon he will be a 300 game player and may even jag an origin game one day Steven Bradbury style.

strider

Post Whore
I still see him as more of a 'five-eighth' (or running half). He is best standing wider with three or four runners outside him. I also don't think there is a need for a 'traditional' halfback in the modern game. We don't have one and we're top three in the NRL for points scored. The Storm don't have one either and they're first.

Interesting comments from Knights coach Nathan Brown about whether or not you even need a halfback:

Source: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/06/07/brown-let-pearce-dominate-nsw-or-leave-him-in-the-lounge-room/
But that was Brownie trying to talk Pearce into the team

strider

Post Whore
Then he wouldn't be saying they can stick with two five-eighths and make it work. He was more saying that if they do pick him he needs to be the 'middle half'.
That was his round about back hander to say, you can do it if you want but its shit

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well they won last year with Maloney and Cleary playing left/right. And Queensland won a couple of weeks ago with Munster and DCE doing the same. It's more conducive to a simple gameplan, or when your halves are about as good as each other. It's certainly a more modern structure. Playing with a dominant halfback is for teams that actually have such a player and need to get their money's worth out of him.

Djay

Juniors
Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of what Moses does, many people I know like sticking the boot into him but I will always defend him.

He has stacks of upside, his never been one to shy away and try something if needed, his clearly doing it all right now for us, his leading the league for try assists, his short kicking game has been pretty good, his running the ball well and looking dangerous and he plays down the short side as well as anyone for me.

I am just so excited to see him and D Brown again, I really think these 2 can be our halves for many years and provide us with some seriously good moments.

Djay

Juniors
Exactly. Do you really need two halves with high composure? Moses is top of the NRL in try assists right now. He is surely providing something we need. If there's something we need that he's not providing we can get it from somebody else.
Hence why Brown will give us the composure we lack and to add to it he can play eyes up footy and just ease the pressure from Moses having to do it all. He will be the perfect foil for Moses and it comes as no surprise in those very few games at the beginning it was the best our attack and even our defence has looked in a long time.

Brown has a good short kicking game, he knows how to straighten the attack, he knows when to run it and just provides exactly what Moses needs, he will give us what we miss at 6, no doubt.

Special player.

eels_fan

First Grade
When NSW loses again next Sunday and If Moses performs and leads us to a win against Canberra the following week I reckon he’s got a shot at playing origin 3 with nothing to win/lose Freddy likes him as a player and may blood him

Eelogical

Referee
When NSW loses again next Sunday and If Moses performs and leads us to a win against Canberra the following week I reckon he’s got a shot at playing origin 3 with nothing to win/lose Freddy likes him as a player and may blood him
Too erratic. IMO, he's not Origin material yet, though, no other eligible Eels players are this year as well. Fergo's ribs appear to more tender that those served at the Silver Spur.

Suitman

Post Whore
One thing I would like Moses to improve in his game is his kicking. It's quite one dimensional.
Last night, (unless we were in the attacking zone), it was just high ball after high ball on the last tackle.
Maybe, due to the perceived dewiness of Bankwest, he is under instruction to kick high on the 6th, but it is very predictable, and usually easily contained by the opposition.
Surely, in dewy conditions a long low ground hugging kick is just as difficult to pick up? The Gower try is a perfect example. And kicking to the seagulls is just as effective metre gain wise? A few sessions with Sterlo wouldn't go astray I reckon, if only to improve his variety of kicking and make it more unpredictable.