What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Dragonslayer

First Grade
What a club we are:

1st grade gets done 34 - 14

CC team playing a team that has won 1 game all season down 14 - 6 with 15 mins to go

JF team playing a team in 13th get done by 1 point

It's hard to find words to describe the feeling of what was once a powerhouse turned into a shithouse.

We need a head coach, and we need it now!

Dea

Juniors
The team lacks strategy. Has no game plan B or C and plan A isn’t working. The injuries and suspension haven’t caused the decline this season, but highlighted the deficiencies of our coach. Other teams have lost players but not lost the plot.

Sadly, recent history shows that team performance does not impact the coaches contract.

hazzbeen

Bench
I'm starting to believe that our half owner in WIN actually stands for: Wollongong Illawarra Nepotism
The old boys club is alive & well with their noses in the trough and nothing changes or zero criticism from within the ranks.
It sure is and a few of them have life memberships .... Coaching and board are all Dinosaurs .... The game has change but the Club and coaching are in a time warp ..... How sad , Maybe a divorce is needed from joint venture and if we fad away then be it .....

Dragons22

Juniors
I just love these press conferences:
We played good in the first 20 minutes, we lost Cam, we really dominated in the first 20 and we played on the front foot, again the loss of Cameron, we never got into field position after the 20 minutes, they had a lot of possession, they are a very powerful footy team, they had all the possession to perform, we missed 5 today, and then we lost Cam, the Footygods haven't been kind to us, when we lose the next game is important, we came here to win, we have got to win 7 from 11.
Quote of the stand up comedy show:
"We are definitely playing not a complete game, but there's parts of our game that's good. Half time usually stops that. It can be a few things, without going too deep into it."
Yeah Mary, I think going deep into it, you are the problem.
Constantly said yeah it's not good enough. Where is your answer super coach? You have no answers.

Last edited:
I just love these press conferences:
We played good in the first 20 minutes, we lost Cam, we really dominated in the first 20 and we played on the front foot, again the loss of Cameron, we never got into field position after the 20 minutes, they had a lot of possession, they are a very powerful footy team, they had all the possession to perform, we missed 5 today, and then we lost Cam, the Footygods haven't been kind to us, when we lose the next game is important, we came here to win, we have got to win 7 from 11.
Quote of the stand up comedy show:
"We are definitely playing not a complete game, but there's parts of our game that's good. Half time usually stops that. It can be a few things, without going too deep into it."
Yeah Mary, I think going deep into it, you are the problem.
Constantly said yeah it's not good enough. Where is your answer super coach? You have no answers.
He is an embarrassment to the club he coaches.
Why do they let him in front of the camera??

sco22

Juniors
The thing I cannot fathom is he is incapable of making calls as games progress. It’s like he goes in with a predetermined “plan” and come hell or high water it won’t be changed.

No attempts to regain momentum or stem the flow until it is too late.

He is just incompetent.
The coach is arrogant and ignorant nothing has changed since he was the waterboy in SOO

Paddles

Juniors
It is hard to see where any improvement is going to come from at the moment.

We rely on a mythical 'power game' but lose in the middle every week. Apart from Vaughan's first stints and the occasional burst from Korbin, our forwards are playing like plodders. They don't move up in defence, don't put any fear or doubt into the opposition forwards, and allow opposition halves to run amok.

Our backs other than Norman and Lomax would struggle to make most first grade sides.

The bench forwards offer no impact.

Mary's bench selections have been shown up to be a completely inept sham. The back that 'he likes to carry on the bench' (ie Field) is clearly a waste. He will NOT be used unless either Hunt or Norman is incapacitated. Bringing Robson on for McInnes was fair enough, but when that wasn't working why did we not try Hunt at 9, and Field at 7 before the game was lost?!

What is the strategy with the 3/4s? By sticking with Aitken over years of failure we have driven a crop of adequate replacements out (Jack Bird, Herbert, Garrick, Taane Milne...who else?). Why did we snap Pereira up for an extra year before the season started then pick Maranta?!

It appears to be Norman playing out of his skin and single handedly winning the game, or nothing.

moes

Bench
It is hard to see where any improvement is going to come from at the moment.

We rely on a mythical 'power game' but lose in the middle every week. Apart from Vaughan's first stints and the occasional burst from Korbin, our forwards are playing like plodders. They don't move up in defence, don't put any fear or doubt into the opposition forwards, and allow opposition halves to run amok.

Our backs other than Norman and Lomax would struggle to make most first grade sides.

The bench forwards offer no impact.

Mary's bench selections have been shown up to be a completely inept sham. The back that 'he likes to carry on the bench' (ie Field) is clearly a waste. He will NOT be used unless either Hunt or Norman is incapacitated. Bringing Robson on for McInnes was fair enough, but when that wasn't working why did we not try Hunt at 9, and Field at 7 before the game was lost?!

What is the strategy with the 3/4s? By sticking with Aitken over years of failure we have driven a crop of adequate replacements out (Jack Bird, Herbert, Garrick, Taane Milne...who else?). Why did we snap Pereira up for an extra year before the season started then pick Maranta?!

It appears to be Norman playing out of his skin and single handedly winning the game, or nothing.

Nailed it

Hardcore Dragon

Juniors
Under Mary:

Regular season
2014 11th
2015 8th
2016 11th
2017 9th
2018 7th

Finals over 5 years
1 win
2 losses

2019 season
5 wins - 2 wins against Dogs, other 3 wins by 2 points or less
8 losses

Last 24 games

9 wins
15 losses

How does any respectable, professional organisation extend the contract of the head coach with the above record?

How are there no questions raised from supposed media experts?

XXX

Last edited:

Paddles

Juniors
And do any of the board, who signed off on a 2 year extension not 2 months ago, think that they would extend Mary now?

Given there was absolutely no pressure or need to re-sign him at that stage, and no one else is in the market for his unique skillset, do they all agree this was an incredibly expensive error that curtails their options now?

They have set up a choice: either lose more games, or lose money. Given their form, I assume that they will cowardly choose the former.

TruSaint

Referee
Year after year I have posted. Don't blame the coach. He didn't employ himself.

If I were Mary , I would take a deal as well. Yes, he is not NRL standard, but he is one of our longest serving coaches in recent history. Let that f**king sink in.

Latest posts