What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

17th TEAM

Perth Red

Post Whore
But 24 extra game DOES add value?

An extra time slot a week does, one extra team still means eight games a week on,y, more byes or a longer season which will eat even more into the international opportunities.

siv

First Grade
Over recent years we have had clubs with financial issues

- St George-Illawarra
- Wests-Tigers
- Cronulla (too often to count)
- Manly
- Gold Coast
- Warriors

The league has had the Bears on standby about 2 or 3 times in recent years

Like people have said 16 v 17 doesn't alter the 8 games a week landscape much

So lets say with 17 teams Manly falters

Its easy to revert back to 16 clubs

While if you expand to 18 and a club falters the league is forced to bring in a replacement franchise or prop them up once again

Stallion

First Grade
Over recent years we have had clubs with financial issues

- St George-Illawarra
- Wests-Tigers
- Cronulla (too often to count)
- Manly
- Gold Coast
- Warriors

The league has had the Bears on standby about 2 or 3 times in recent years

While if you expand to 18 and a club falters the league is forced to bring in a replacement franchise or prop them up once again

Alternately two solid (minimum risk) additions would be the Central Coast Bears and Brisbane "Dolphins" to the NRL. Both consolidating existing fanbases that are not being adequately catered for. Atm northern Sydney is looking extremely vulnerable for rugby league. This has coincided with the ousting of the North Sydney Bears. And Brisbane is absolutely in need of a rival team in a city of over 2million people. Both areas have modern stadiums to play in. The underutilized stadium at Gosford for the Bears and the underutilized Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane. The extra game would also add extra revenues from tv money. Not too mention a very solid foundation being put in place for further additional expansion clubs from WA and elsewhere. into the future. Existing juniors in place as well! At the moment we see heartland areas where the rugby league populations are being undeserviced and somewhat ignored/neglected courtesy of a abrupt and poorly thought out "agreement" from the super league fiasco.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Alternately two solid (minimum risk) additions would be the Central Coast Bears

The Central Coast is a relatively small market, the NRL is a high cost industry, and it's not obvious that their are any backers that would be willing to bank-roll the venture.
So yeah, the CC may literally be one of the most high risk expansion markets in the country (only Central Queensland and PNG pip them I reckon)

Let's put it this way, the CC struggles to support an A-league side, and running an A-league side costs roughly half as much as an NRL side.

Also the CC Bears bid doesn't exist anymore, so they aren't really an option anyway.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Clubs need to be able to generate around $10-13million revenue a year on top of the nrl grant. It’s hard to see anything other than a big city being able to do that unless there is a wealthy leagues club involved.

I reckon nrl has behind closed doors shut down any hope of a expansion club in gosford hence the bears abandoning the idea.

greenBV4

Bench

would having to bring in a replacement franchise be such a bad thing? expand to 18, say Brisbane 2 and Perth, then if the extra strain on the existing clubs forces one to go under, that gives the NRL an excuse to give another license out to Wellington/Christchurch, CC or Adelaide, or dangle a relocation carrot, without the backlash of forcefully demoting/relocating a club - survival of the fittest.

siv

First Grade
would having to bring in a replacement franchise be such a bad thing? expand to 18, say Brisbane 2 and Perth, then if the extra strain on the existing clubs forces one to go under, that gives the NRL an excuse to give another license out to Wellington/Christchurch, CC or Adelaide, or dangle a relocation carrot, without the backlash of forcefully demoting/relocating a club - survival of the fittest.

I prefer 18 teams 25 rounds and 2 groups of 9 Sydney v Regional

But the clubs failing financially arent usually in Sydney

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
What a load of nonsense.
1. Beattie wouldnt be going to the media companies this far out
2. They aren’t going to do anything until the expansion report is tabled
3. One extra team adds no new content value so what exactly is he supposed to be asking the media companies for?

I wonder if he is referring to informal talks held with the broadcast partners. I'd imagine they have a fairly close relationship due to scheduling etc. I'd imagine they meet regularly and it is possible that the topic has been tabled. I agree on your second point - nothing officially will be announced until after the report is tabled, but Beattie may be complimenting Greenberg's report with a response from the broadcasters. As we know, nothing will go ahead unless they pay for it.

I agree also that adding one team makes no sense. The only additional benefit it would bring is a Brisbane game every week which should rate quite well - that could be the angle they are going with. If it is going to be 17, may as well make it 18 though IMO.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The NRL will want proven financial stability with any new franchise. The Redcliffe Dolphins are a certainty, they have deep pockets and are better run and more financially stable than some NRL clubs. The NRL won't be able to resist them.

mongoose

Coach
The NRL will want proven financial stability with any new franchise. The Redcliffe Dolphins are a certainty, they have deep pockets and are better run and more financially stable than some NRL clubs. The NRL won't be able to resist them.

But the money is all from its Leagues club, does the NRL want to keep going down that path?

Perth Red

Post Whore

I cant find an Annual report for the LC, what sort of revenue and profit do they have?

Stallion

First Grade
The Central Coast is a relatively small market, the NRL is a high cost industry, and it's not obvious that their are any backers that would be willing to bank-roll the venture.
So yeah, the CC may literally be one of the most high risk expansion markets in the country (only Central Queensland and PNG pip them I reckon)

Let's put it this way, the CC struggles to support an A-league side, and running an A-league side costs roughly half as much as an NRL side.

Also the CC Bears bid doesn't exist anymore, so they aren't really an option anyway.

There are two markets that are either regained or gained in the Central Coast Bears scenario. Firstly the people of the Central Coast and the many disenfranchised North Sydney Bears fans that still exist and are Australia wide in number. The very crucial local derby rivalry with the now isolated northern Sydney club of Manly Warringah will inject much needed relevance and interest in this area north of the Harbour Bridge At the moment other codes are gaining traction whilst rugby league is losing player numbers and relevance in a massive population area. We differ. Let's leave it at that. It's a minimal risk maximum gain for rugby league. Great modern stadium in place at Gosford. Located on a rail line and a real chance to gain back lost supporters along with consolidating the code in the Central Coast. WIN/WIN ! But not for some! We differ.

Stallion

First Grade
Common sense logic and the truth is often a source of ridicule on this site by some. It doesn't concern. (seen it adnausium ! ) It just dissappoints.

Last edited:

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
The only thing that's been ad nauseam is your constant bitching about rugby league losing 'relevance and playing numbers' in North Sydney. In a thread about Brisbane getting a second team no less. Hijacking every expansion related thread with the same rubbish.

I'm not opposed to an NRL team being based out of Central Coast but ffs the extent you go to ram your pro Bears propaganda down everyone's throats makes me want to throw my laptop out the window.

Stallion

First Grade
The only thing that's been seen ad nauseam is your constant bitching about rugby league losing 'relevance and playing numbers' in North Sydney. In a thread about Brisbane getting a second team no less. Hijacking every expansion related thread with the same rubbish.

I'm not opposed to an NRL team being based out of Central Coast but ffs the extent you go to ram your pro Bears propaganda down everyone's throats makes me want to throw my laptop out of the window.

Perhaps the logic is right!? And you don't (for whatever reason) want to acknowledge this?

The Great Dane

First Grade
There are two markets that are either regained or gained in the Central Coast Bears scenario. Firstly the people of the Central Coast and the many disenfranchised North Sydney Bears fans that still exist and are Australia wide in number. The very crucial local derby rivalry with the now isolated northern Sydney club of Manly Warringah will inject much needed relevance and interest in this area north of the Harbour Bridge At the moment other codes are gaining traction whilst rugby league is losing player numbers and relevance in a massive population area. We differ. Let's leave it at that. It's a minimal risk maximum gain for rugby league. Great modern stadium in place at Gosford. Located on a rail line and a real chance to gain back lost supporters along with consolidating the code in the Central Coast. WIN/WIN ! But not for some! We differ.

Are you ever going to come up with anything new, or are you just going to assert the same stuff (most of which has been debunked) over and over?

By the way, did I mention that the Bears folded the CC bid and are no longer pursuing a license for the the CC anyway, and as such the CC Bears no longer exist and can't join the NRL because they aren't bidding!

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned that multiple times, but you keep bringing them up anyway despite the fact that they are dead.

ash the bash

Juniors
I cant find an Annual report for the LC, what sort of revenue and profit do they have?

I have looked around for a Redcliffe leagues club report as well, no luck. Let me know if you find their latest financials.

I have emailed the LC with no response.