What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW 2019

Smack

Coach
They laid it out after a Origin one. "There's always something else going on with latrell other than football". They weren't happy with his attitude in camp and after he put in a below par performance they're giving him a kick up the ass. It's old school "hard knocks" style coaching I don't agree with but that's what I thinks happened.

that makes sense

OldPanther

Coach
Forget the changes to the backline. At least Jimmy can feed them quality ball, something Walker utterly failed to do in game 1. The big problem is the pack. Freddy obviously hates prop forwards and has a hard on for back rowers. Vaughan is the only genuine prop forward in the team who is capable of laying a platform. Saifiti averages 87 metres and 24 tackles per game. He's a fish out of water and I feel sorry for the kid. Freddy has essentially gone all in on Trbojevic, Frizell, Finucaine, Sims, and Murray being pseudo front-rowers. From 3 genuine props we've gone to 1, a poor kid way out of his depth, and a bunch of very good back rowers being asked to play out of position.

The most obvious thing that needed fixing from game 1 was a full 4 prop rotation. It doesn't help that Klem and Haas are both unavailable, and that the obvious next cab McLean is as well. Sub-optimal choices though they may be, we have 3 actual front rowers with Origin experience we could have recalled: Matt Prior, James Tamou, and Reagan Campbell-Gillard. Bag them all you want, a full front row rotation featuring those 3 with Vaughan is surely better than Vaughan + Saifiti + asking the back rowers I listed above to fill the gap.

It's a massively better option. Tamou is averaging 130m a game. A bunch of second rowers is dumb.

some11

Referee
Inglis had one bad game in 2008 and proceeded to tear us a new one next game and the next almost decade or so. Why not give Latrell the opportunity to do the same.
Was that the year Johns called Inglis a black merkin then Tahu left the camp? haha

Valheru

Coach
Harsh but he was absolutely disinterested in Game 1 and it cost the team.

Not a fan of turning over players but happy for a standard to be upheld.

Cotric and that other pretender from the Roosters were horrible as well.

Surely he has runs on the board? A key part of last year's series win with 2 tries in the first 2 games. Outside of origin he has excelled in 3 of the 4 finals games he has played scoring the match winner in his first finals game, potentially saving the game with a try saver against Cronulla last year and dominating his opposite number in a GF.

He was awful in game 1 but surely his past performances warrant giving him a chance to redeem himself.

Spot On

Coach
Surely he has runs on the board? A key part of last year's series win with 2 tries in the first 2 games. Outside of origin he has excelled in 3 of the 4 finals games he has played scoring the match winner in his first finals game, potentially saving the game with a try saver against Cronulla last year and dominating his opposite number in a GF.

He was awful in game 1 but surely his past performances warrant giving him a chance to redeem himself.

Good points.

Hard to argue against that.

Maybe after losing 12 of the last 14 series Filter wants to see a bloke at least give a shit every time he turns up and pulls the jumper on??

Pommy

Coach

Perhaps with all the talk of agents and advisors Freddy just doesn’t trust that his head is in the game.
It does seem only two players got dropped after all.

TheFrog

Coach
Surely he has runs on the board?
It can only be assumed he has personal issues which remain unresolved. Otherwise a coach desperate to win would surely select him, and especially a coach with such close ties to his club.

Danish

Referee
How disrespectful was Freddy to Walker as well?

Not only does he drop him, he makes a joke out of it with his ridiculous Anasta quip.

Freddy would have lost the respect of a lot of players with his performance in that press conference, not least of all his captain, star hooker and fullback who will have to come to terms withFreddy happily throwing their team mates to the wolves

big hit!

Bench
Freddy’s probably trying to make a statement. It could back fire, or it could finally reinstall a play for your life culture in NSw origins.

One thing I noticed in the sheds directly after the game was Mitchell smiling and laughing. I thought to myself then that this shit wasn’t serious enough for him. I doubt a QLDer would’ve been in the same mood after a loss.

Walker needed an exceptional origin after making a statement about the anthem in his first interview in camp. That’s not what Freddy picked you for. His rep career was over as soon as he got hooked during the game. No half is replaced unless they’re injured.

typicalfan

Coach
How disrespectful was Freddy to Walker as well?

Not only does he drop him, he makes a joke out of it with his ridiculous Anasta quip.

Freddy would have lost the respect of a lot of players with his performance in that press conference, not least of all his captain, star hooker and fullback who will have to come to terms withFreddy happily throwing their team mates to the wolves
He is implying that the cupboard was bare. Not only does it insult Cody but Maloney too.

"Maloney you are our last resort". At least he is experienced enough to take it.

Mary did the same thing today in a pre game interview when asked about Maranta. Yes the fans might know he is scraping the barrell but I think a coach needs to pick his words a bit better and give a player a bit of self belief.

Anyway done is done hopefully we can still get past Qld.

Apey

Staff member
Perhaps with all the talk of agents and advisors Freddy just doesn’t trust that his head is in the game.
It does seem only two players got dropped after all.
Now what do they have in common...

Oh that's right they were both trash in Game 1.

Mr Spock!

Referee
7 changes for a 4 point loss which came down to an intercept....

Including dumping the 5/8 who actually put on a try and a potential match winning play into a pariah while his Teflon halves mate did sfa...

Dumping the tryscorer Morris (why) for the intercept giver.

Dumping the best centre and key reason NSW won last year....

Qld to win by 50.

Springs09

Juniors
I’d like to know why NSW’s pick and stick policy for underperforming halfbacks don’t cover any over position.

Dropping our best young prospect is ludicrous, especially when Wighton is in the centres.
We needed more props on the bench apparently, so we dropped Crichton and replaced him and Haas with 3 backrowers.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Freddy’s probably trying to make a statement. It could back fire, or it could finally reinstall a play for your life culture in NSw origins.

One thing I noticed in the sheds directly after the game was Mitchell smiling and laughing. I thought to myself then that this shit wasn’t serious enough for him. I doubt a QLDer would’ve been in the same mood after a loss.

Walker needed an exceptional origin after making a statement about the anthem in his first interview in camp. That’s not what Freddy picked you for. His rep career was over as soon as he got hooked during the game. No half is replaced unless they’re injured.
And Morris. What did he do wrong?

There are 7 changes ffs in a game decided by an intercept.

Wasn't there something about loyalty or does that only apply to Cleary?

Big Pete

Referee
Was that the year Johns called Inglis a black merkin then Tahu left the camp? haha

The Joey Johns incident happened ahead of Game II 2010. Joey was trying to get inside the head of Beau Scott ahead of Game II who was basically picked just to take GI off his game. In one of the first plays of the game, GI just barreled straight through him to open the score. Coincidentally, it ended up being the same scoreline as the game tf is referring to.

GI was unbelievable in the game tf is referring to.

greenBV4

Bench
Did we not announce an extended squad to travel to Perth? just saw the qld team and noticed they announced a 18th, 19th and 20th man as well

Is there a chance Latrell could be on that extended squad and will be given a chance at training to prove his heads in it before the game?