What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 vs Sea Eagles

Hardcore Dragon

Juniors
And what was Crawley doing in the coaches box as I didn’t see Hornby. I guess he was making sure his brother Paul Crawley wasn’t going to question McGregors position.

Bingo, I knew there must have been a connection.

How else could that weasel Crawley write anything positive about this imposter.

Makes me sick.

XXX

Como Connection

First Grade
Is it not the job of the CEO to make recommendations to the board?
If so a strong CEO with the best interests of the club would not have recommended an extension to L plate.
I may be wrong ( which wouldn’t be the first time) :grin::grin:.
His contact was be reviewed mid year is the information I was given.
Somehow everything changed.
You know it would have been better if Normy didn't win those matches.
Hopeless
CC

getsmarty

Immortal
What a disaster this year has been! Yes injuries have played their part but the management of our roster and the coaching is the crux of our problem. Watching Garrick hurt us today and Herbert developing into a powerful centre at the Warriors really hurts. I don’t knock Maranta or Lats, they are not to be blamed for the level of their ability, they do the best they can and simply seek a gig where they can get one. The ones to blame are our Board and CEO. Yep Mary is not a good coach and I pray for the day that he goes, but again I think all our anger should be directed at those who supposedly run this club, who refuse to see that our club needs to move forward, to be rebuilt. Sometimes I feel our greatest problem is our glorious history. We need to realise that the past is the past, old boys are just that, old. We need to develop a new culture driven by new people, who value the past but who are not always living it. Trapped by it. I won’t hold my breathe for a change of culture emerging in 2020.

Well said.

getsmarty

Immortal
McGregor asks the hard questions following tough loss
Author
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 16 Jun 2019, 08:57 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

Paul McGregor lamented a lack of mental strength and inconsistencies in several of the side's younger players after St George Illawarra slumped to their eighth loss of the season on Sunday.

The Dragons shot out of the blocks for an 8-0 lead against the Sea Eagles with NSW forwards Paul Vaughan and Tyson Frizell, along with firebrand Korbin Sims bringing the energy early.

But the Sea Eagles went up an extra gear themselves as the Dragons fell away in the final 60 minutes to lose by 20 points, a notion that left McGregor questioning some of his other players' efforts in the beaten side.

"We just don't want to work hard enough for it, we want the easy before the hard," McGregor said.

"It doesn't matter if they're young or old, you've got to want the hard first. I don't think our interchange come out and done that.

"At the end of the day we were overworked and overpowered. To back up with a poor performance after last week was disappointing."

Match Highlights: Sea Eagles v Dragons

The loss of Cameron McInnes in the first half didn't help the side's cause and the Sea Eagles gain the ascendency immediately after the Dragons No.9 went off the field.

Rookie utility Reece Robson replaced McInnes at dummy half but came up with a couple of costly errors.

"We lost Cam in that 22-minute mark and his experience around the middle we lost our way," McGregor said.

"We missed five [starting players] today. The players that are missing are key players in our team and then we lose Cam but that's rugby league. We've got to deal with that.

"I always say to the young guys it's a really good opportunity to see what you've got and what we're seeing is not good enough. When you're playing in a jumper and in the 17 you have to want the hard stuff."

McGregor said McInnes was OK but felt like an idiot for getting his head caught in the wrong position on impact.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/06/16/mcgregor-asks-the-hard-questions-following-tough-loss/

So much written. My thoughts:

1. Our forward pack was outmuscled.
2. I have never been convinced about Luc Leilua. Look let him go, ability sometimes but not urgent or consistent. Again the next big thing Robson was ordinary and again he fluffed a simple play the ball just like last week. Blake Lawrie is and always has been gutsy but ineffective, only fringe 1st grader.
3. In fairness Pearson was not ‘run down’. Garrick was coming across and had to drive to grab a bit of his jersey before Pearson pulled away. Dufty tackled and caught the ball well. With a pop gun forward pack effort no room for him to attack.
4. Ben Hunt played very well and never gave up.
5. I would give Jordan P a run at centre next week.
If I can add a few points:
(a) Dufty didn't let anyone down today - no clangers but the chasm in class with TT was massive.
Still don't think he is a long term FB of a premiership winning side.
(b) Ravalawa looked great against Canterbury and came back to earth with a thud against a top eight side.
(c) Norman was comprehensively outplayed by that Custo kid. Gutsy and smart player with lots of ticker. Great defender as well. Didn't give 2 hoots about reputations.
(d) I agree that Hunt played well today and can hold his head high as can Vaughn and Frizzel.
Robson was a disappointment and had 60' to show what a mistake it was to let him sign elsewhere.
He didn't do that.
I honestly don't understand Field coming on at 28-8.
What is the kid supposed to do?
(e) McInnes going off was very unfortunate and changed the game somewhat but to counter balance that, Koriasou came off 5 minutes later.
Their replacement hooker ran rings around ours - not hard to work out what happened..
(f) Finally second half - offloads destroyed us but so did their forward pack.
AFB was a brute and basically trampled us up the middle. So did Tapau. Their back row killed us.
Garrick had a fine game and continues to establish himself as a very competent FG winger under a smart and experienced coach.

Is it not the job of the CEO to make recommendations to the board?
If so a strong CEO with the best interests of the club would not have recommended an extension to L plate.
I may be wrong ( which wouldn’t be the first time) :grin::grin:.
Just a puppet mouth piece who does what he's told.
I will never forget the rationalization of McGregor's early season contract extension.
What a load of rubbish. 7 games later we are 1 and 6 with our season in the toilet.

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
(a) Dufty didn't let anyone down today - no clangers but the chasm in class with TT was massive.
(b) Ravalawa looked great against Canterbury and came back to earth with a thud against a top eight side.
(c) Norman was comprehensively outplayed by that Custo kid. Gutsy and smart player with lots of ticker. Great defender as well. Didn't give 2 hoots about reputations.
(d) I agree that Hunt played well today and can hold his head high as can Vaughn and Frizzel.
Robson was a disappointment and had 60' to show what a mistake it was to let him sign elsewhere.
He didn't do that.
(e) McInnes going off was very unfortunate and changed the game somewhat but to counter balance that, Koriasou came off 5 minutes later.
Their replacement hooker ran rings around ours - not hard to work out what happened..
AFB was a brute and basically trampled us up the middle. So did Tapau. Their back row killed us.
Garrick had a fine game and continues to establish himself as a very competent FG winger under a smart and experienced coach.

Good points Dennis....personally I am gutted....its like a nightmare that never ends....i am really starting to lose my love for the game....after last weeks win ( I still wasn't confident today ...basically Dogs beat themselves with unforced errors )....

Just cannot see how anything will change....someone on the board needs to stand up and say enough is enough....we have made a significant error....do the right thing and start looking outside the club for the best coach available to fix this mess....it will take years to undo the damage from the current staff....

Sad part is we all know it is very unlikely to happen.

I will not go to another game or buy any merchandise until significant change happens....and by then I may have totally lost interest.

getsmarty

Immortal
Just a puppet mouth piece who does what he's told.
I will never forget the rationalization of McGregor's early season contract extension.
Who bunch of rubbish. 7 games later we are 1 and 6 with our season in the toilet.

Was already being discussed last year...unfortunately the win against the Broncos and the close loss to souths convinced them in spite of the 5 years of rubbish up until that point.

He didn't do that.

Hasler is a coach....
McGregor is McGregor biggest difference in the sides.
On paper we prob have the better side
But a coach that gets everything out of average players and makes them look like superstars or a ..... that makes everything about back to basics

blacksafake

First Grade
Good points Dennis....personally I am gutted....its like a nightmare that never ends....i am really starting to lose my love for the game....after last weeks win ( I still wasn't confident today ...basically Dogs beat themselves with unforced errors )....

Just cannot see how anything will change....someone on the board needs to stand up and say enough is enough....we have made a significant error....do the right thing and start looking outside the club for the best coach available to fix this mess....it will take years to undo the damage from the current staff....

Sad part is we all know it is very unlikely to happen.

I will not go to another game or buy any merchandise until significant change happens....and by then I may have totally lost interest.
Agree smarty but somehow I think their too arrogant to do anything positive. Heaven forbid they’d actually admit their mistakes.

getsmarty

Immortal
Agree smarty but somehow I think their too arrogant to do anything positive. Heaven forbid they’d actually admit their mistakes.

Yes..True blacksafake....one can live in hope that some form of common sense may prevail....

If Not...I will continue to not go to another game or give the club any of my hard earned to watch the rubbish that has been dished up since bennett left....

If Crowd numbers and memberships drop dramatically , it may force their hand.

Dragonsamy

Bench
Garrick had a fine game and continues to establish himself as a very competent FG winger under a smart and experienced coach.[/QUOTE]

Well said Dennis
I agree with all your points but the above one is the one that must be fixed or nothing will change.
Hasler changed there game plan at half time and we haven't change our game plane for 5 years.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Simply because the predictable one out power game that McGregor advocates was successful.
We had the forwards to execute that game plan UNTIL injuries set in and opposition coaches devised simple tactics to neutralise the bush footy tactics McGregor put in place.
That is all he knows and once he was exposed, could not adjust his game plan to continue winning.
In fact, I believe he doesn't know how to. He is unqualified to coach FG.
Once we cease dominating possession and field position we have no other dimension as a footy team.
That deficiency rests 100% on the coach's shoulders.
BTW, so what if we won 8/9 - where are we when the whips are cracking??
Second half of the season fades are McGregor's trademark - not one year not two years....every year.
This year we just fold in the second half of games which, from the players' and fans' point of view, is just demoralizing.
So hope that brings some perspective to the argument.
For all of those members who had hesitations about Hasler's ability as a first grade coach, I say reflect on your opinion while replaying yesterdays game.