What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

getsmarty

Immortal
McGregor asks the hard questions following tough loss
Author
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 16 Jun 2019, 08:57 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

Paul McGregor lamented a lack of mental strength and inconsistencies in several of the side's younger players after St George Illawarra slumped to their eighth loss of the season on Sunday.

The Dragons shot out of the blocks for an 8-0 lead against the Sea Eagles with NSW forwards Paul Vaughan and Tyson Frizell, along with firebrand Korbin Sims bringing the energy early.

But the Sea Eagles went up an extra gear themselves as the Dragons fell away in the final 60 minutes to lose by 20 points, a notion that left McGregor questioning some of his other players' efforts in the beaten side.

"We just don't want to work hard enough for it, we want the easy before the hard," McGregor said.

"It doesn't matter if they're young or old, you've got to want the hard first. I don't think our interchange come out and done that.

"At the end of the day we were overworked and overpowered. To back up with a poor performance after last week was disappointing."

Match Highlights: Sea Eagles v Dragons

The loss of Cameron McInnes in the first half didn't help the side's cause and the Sea Eagles gain the ascendency immediately after the Dragons No.9 went off the field.

Rookie utility Reece Robson replaced McInnes at dummy half but came up with a couple of costly errors.

"We lost Cam in that 22-minute mark and his experience around the middle we lost our way," McGregor said.

"We missed five [starting players] today. The players that are missing are key players in our team and then we lose Cam but that's rugby league. We've got to deal with that.

"I always say to the young guys it's a really good opportunity to see what you've got and what we're seeing is not good enough. When you're playing in a jumper and in the 17 you have to want the hard stuff."

McGregor said McInnes was OK but felt like an idiot for getting his head caught in the wrong position on impact.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/06/16/mcgregor-asks-the-hard-questions-following-tough-loss/

Hardcore Dragon

Juniors
Why should he, what has he done wrong apart from following instructions.
CC

Every CEO I know, and there are a few, goes in with clear goals and seeks to implement their philosophy. Usually a 5 year plan to leave their mark and then on to the next challenge/company. Every single one of them.

Not a job for life like Doust or a yes man like BJ.

Like I said, he has no self respect.

XXX

Como Connection

First Grade
Every CEO I know, and there are a few, goes in with clear goals and seeks to implement their philosophy. Usually a 5 year plan to leave their mark and then on to the next challenge/company. Every single one of them.

Not a job for life like Doust or a yes man like BJ.

Like I said, he has no self respect.

XXX
BJ is not a yes man.
CC

Hardcore Dragon

Juniors
Disagree, but time for bed.
CC

Mate, you said yourself he's following instructions.

He sure as hell isn't displaying any vision for the club. Or leadership (which is the CEO's primary role). But instead he came out in full support of the muppet - right man for the right time, he said.

If that isn't a yes man, don't know what is.

Straight Shooter

McGregor asks the hard questions following tough loss
Author
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 16 Jun 2019, 08:57 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

Paul McGregor lamented a lack of mental strength and inconsistencies in several of the side's younger players after St George Illawarra slumped to their eighth loss of the season on Sunday.

The Dragons shot out of the blocks for an 8-0 lead against the Sea Eagles with NSW forwards Paul Vaughan and Tyson Frizell, along with firebrand Korbin Sims bringing the energy early.

But the Sea Eagles went up an extra gear themselves as the Dragons fell away in the final 60 minutes to lose by 20 points, a notion that left McGregor questioning some of his other players' efforts in the beaten side.

"We just don't want to work hard enough for it, we want the easy before the hard," McGregor said.

"It doesn't matter if they're young or old, you've got to want the hard first. I don't think our interchange come out and done that.

"At the end of the day we were overworked and overpowered. To back up with a poor performance after last week was disappointing."

Match Highlights: Sea Eagles v Dragons

The loss of Cameron McInnes in the first half didn't help the side's cause and the Sea Eagles gain the ascendency immediately after the Dragons No.9 went off the field.

Rookie utility Reece Robson replaced McInnes at dummy half but came up with a couple of costly errors.

"We lost Cam in that 22-minute mark and his experience around the middle we lost our way," McGregor said.

"We missed five [starting players] today. The players that are missing are key players in our team and then we lose Cam but that's rugby league. We've got to deal with that.

"I always say to the young guys it's a really good opportunity to see what you've got and what we're seeing is not good enough. When you're playing in a jumper and in the 17 you have to want the hard stuff."

McGregor said McInnes was OK but felt like an idiot for getting his head caught in the wrong position on impact.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/06/16/mcgregor-asks-the-hard-questions-following-tough-loss/
Maybe this young lady has the gumption to question McGregor's performances.
Two things stood out in this article.
1. He threw the bench that he chose, under the bus.
2. He threw the young guys who played as replacements under the bus.
No ownership whatsoever.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
Mary must be thinking " We really missed Lats today"
Bring back PRICE.....at least he could take a loss on the chin! This current imbecile is full of shit!

Price was more dynamic than Mary and could at least get a game plan t
Under Mary:

Regular season
2014 11th
2015 8th
2016 11th
2017 9th
2018 7th

Finals over 5 years
1 win
2 losses

2019 season
5 wins - 2 wins against Dogs, other 3 wins by 2 points or less
8 losses

Last 24 games

9 wins
15 losses

How does any respectable, professional organisation extend the contract of the head coach with the above record?

How are there no questions raised from supposed media experts?

XXX

Didn't the Penrith coach get fired and he made the top 4?

St Hope

Juniors
Well true to his style we go down playing try nothing football , where enterprise is the ship Capt Kirk is in charge of and it is light years away.
First half yesterday prime example all stats seemed in our favour but the scoreboard read differently why ? well enterprise one team is free to try second phase play the other wants to try and win by not making mistakes our forwards tuck the ball under their arms and are cannon fodder for the opposition defences.
We constantly hear about the D but in all the years I have watched RL I have never seen a team scoring less points then the opposition win a game.
Last year his mantra was to keeping the other sides to 16 and under all that did was gave the other teams a number to aim at and told us once they got passed it we were in trouble.
Please to see they are playing early on a friday next game gives me the option of getting a tooth pulled without anesthetic (dentist opens late) or listening to game on the radio mke up mind after SOO2.
Please Mary if you have creativity in you resign.

DF4E

Juniors
I know this has been talked about before and is hard to organise but after so many years of this rubbish and no end in sight, is it time to organise a demonstration at the club to show our frustration which might attract media attention to put pressure on the board to change things, especially the coaching staff. If we can turn up to Kogarah for game day surely we can turn up to the club on a non game day. Like I said I know it is hard to organise but I just don’t know what else we can do to try and turn this club around.
It is obvious that the board have no interest in doing anything and I hate watching this once great club deteriorate into a rabble.

Smurf

Juniors
Did I hear right on Fox that the assistant coaching staff ie Young and Hornby were on a weekend off to review our season to date .
Surely I didn’t dream this .

TruSaint

Referee
Did I hear right on Fox that the assistant coaching staff ie Young and Hornby were on a weekend off to review our season to date .
Surely I didn’t dream this .

More to do with how to manage origin players Mary said.
So yeah, they needed time out to gather their thoughts.

BLM01

First Grade
I know this has been talked about before and is hard to organise but after so many years of this rubbish and no end in sight, is it time to organise a demonstration at the club to show our frustration which might attract media attention to put pressure on the board to change things, especially the coaching staff. If we can turn up to Kogarah for game day surely we can turn up to the club on a non game day. Like I said I know it is hard to organise but I just don’t know what else we can do to try and turn this club around.
It is obvious that the board have no interest in doing anything and I hate watching this once great club deteriorate into a rabble.
Unfortumately 100 protestors look stupid as made out by the media to 20.000 so called members as reported. The media making a laughing stock of such protests as do the NRL.
Like a petition with 1,000 signatures. Goes nowhere.