What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Affiliated Championships

Dakink

Bench
Being held in Darwin at the new RL ground. I'll try get there for some pics. Great little ground.

Perth Tiger

Bench
3 games in 3 days! going to be some sore bodies after that.

Do you know what the Presidents XIII is?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Players who missed out from the three states as South Australia is no longer viable.

Another sign of decline for the game in SA that they cant field an U18's team. NRL need to get off their backsides and start helping out over there.

ALX25

Bench
Another sign of decline for the game in SA that they cant field an U18's team. NRL need to get off their backsides and start helping out over there.

Also no longer taking part in the ASSRL U15 Championships, replaced by ATSI Invitational side.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not since the St George Dragons won 11 consecutive Premierships between 1956-1966 have we seen a rugby league team experience the same period of dominance as the current Western Australia state team.

In 2019, WA have the chance to edge closer to the Dragons’ milestone when they aim to complete a ‘Decade of Dominance’ at this week’s Combined Affiliated States (CAS) Championships.

Having won the last nine championships on the bounce, coach Darren Shaw says his side are still as determined than ever to keep the CAS title in WA.

“We won’t get too stressed about it [the milestone],” Shaw said.

“As long as do the little things right I’m sure we’ll maintain that record.”

In his second year at the helm, Shaw admits his side learnt a lot from last year’s tournament – where they retained the title on a countback despite losing their final game of the tournament to the Northern Territory 15-14.

“It was a good experience for me last year as my first time going to the tournament,” Shaw said.

“Being at the top we’re going to be looked at to try and get beaten so we need to be on our game.”

Shaw admits his side will have a target on their backs when they arrive in Darwin next week but believes the playing group are up to the challenge.

“It comes with the last nine years – all of the other teams want to beat us and someone wants to take over the mantle,” he said.

“We know people are coming to get us – the players are really looking forward to it and I’m sure they’ll accept that challenge.”

Delane Edwards, Bjorn Crotty, Brad Gibson, Nathan Searle and Kani Solomon headline a core group of returning players from last year’s title-winning team, while young-guns Will Smith, Jarrad Smith and Brandon Wright earn first-time call-ups.

https://nrlwa.com.au/senior-men-gunning-for-10-in-a-row/

Perth Red

Post Whore
What's happening with the U18's in WA? Seem to have gone backwards?

Someone was telling me today we are handicapped in this Comp as criteria is you have to still be in school comps and we lose our schoolboys at 17 in WA compared to 18 in other states so we have much younger lads in our squad for this than Victoria and NT.

greenBV4

Bench
Congrats Victoria!
It's sad that most people wouldn't even know this had happened though, not a single post from the NRL in any form, unless I missed it?

Also anyone else think these teams could be helped a lot in development by having a NSW and QLD team made up from the 2 state comps compete? sure they'd probably dominate for the foreseeable future but playing a better opposition is a great way to improve both on the field and for recognition? and it would be great to see an upset every now and then!

Having a NSW and QLD side could even be enough to get it televised or at least acknowledged by the NRL

Perth Red

Post Whore
Congrats Victoria!
It's sad that most people wouldn't even know this had happened though, not a single post from the NRL in any form, unless I missed it?

Also anyone else think these teams could be helped a lot in development by having a NSW and QLD team made up from the 2 state comps compete? sure they'd probably dominate for the foreseeable future but playing a better opposition is a great way to improve both on the field and for recognition? and it would be great to see an upset every now and then!

Having a NSW and QLD side could even be enough to get it televised or at least acknowledged by the NRL

WA played and defeated the CRL Bulls rep side in WA a few years ago which was pretty impressive. If they picked a relevant level rep side from NSW and Qland it could work, not sure what level of comp would be comparable to Vic and WA league level?